INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Updating JRMC20 Library  (Read 4435 times)

Bigguy49

• World Citizen
Updating JRMC20 Library
« on: December 31, 2015, 09:09:11 am »

Did some housekeeping and deleted some album folders from my source library for space considerations .  However, MC continues to show the deleted album artwork and tracklist.

How do I update MC library to reflect that these albums are no longer accessible for play?

Thanks.

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Updating JRMC20 Library
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2015, 10:01:38 am »

Next time, you might consider deleting them from MC directly.  Just highlight the songs or albums and choose delete.  In the options box that comes up, tell it to delete from Disk also.  That will remove the entry from MC *and* delete the files too!

In this case, after the fact, just do sort of the same thing:  Highlight the albums (or files) in question and press (or select) delete.  Since they are already gone from the disk, you can choose to only remove from MC's library.

If you need to *find* these files that are gone from disk, but still in MC's library, you can do that too, but it's another procedure.

Brian.

Bigguy49

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2015, 10:24:18 am »

Next time, you might consider deleting them from MC directly.  Just highlight the songs or albums and choose delete.  In the options box that comes up, tell it to delete from Disk also.  That will remove the entry from MC *and* delete the files too!

In this case, after the fact, just do sort of the same thing:  Highlight the albums (or files) in question and press (or select) delete.  Since they are already gone from the disk, you can choose to only remove from MC's library.

If you need to *find* these files that are gone from disk, but still in MC's library, you can do that too, but it's another procedure.

Brian.

Thanks Brian.  Yes, I understand that you can select option to DELETE FROM DISK also but (mistakenly) assumed that MC would update if the source files were gone from the folder containing the actual files.  :-(   In my case, they are gone gone, not just moved...so the "find" procedure is not applicable.

I guess I will need to print a list of the source library content and then do the highlight & delete operation.  Fortunately, there are not a huge number of albums that need to be purged.

Happy New Year!

blgentry

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2015, 10:38:36 am »

In my case, they are gone gone, not just moved...so the "find" procedure is not applicable.

I guess I will need to print a list of the source library content and then do the highlight & delete operation.  Fortunately, there are not a huge number of albums that need to be purged.

No, no, no, no.  You can absolutely find dead entries for files that MC has in it's library but are GONE from disk. I'm assuming that's what you want to do?  Find the MC entries that won't play because the files have been deleted?  Easy peasey:

Make a new smartlist.  In the smartlist definition click the Import/Export button (lower left) and paste in this:

Code: [Select]
[=ismissing()]=1
Click OK several times to save.  Call it something like "missing files".  Now that list will show you every file that MC knows about, but is not on disk.  You can just highlight the files and delete them from MC.

Brian.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2015, 10:49:25 am »

You could just use the Auto-Import option to remove the missing files from your library.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Bigguy49

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2015, 11:19:18 am »

I have started the purge process but have a couple of observations...

* IF the source files are removed, MC still shows artwork and tracklist;

* IF MC is used to "DELETE FROM LIBARY AND DISC", this is done BUT the source folder remains, all non-music files (cover art, etc.) remain...only the track files are deleted;

*IF AUTO IMPORT is used, it looks like the import will only include music files...and not cover art, docs, etc.;

Looks like a two-step process...

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2015, 11:49:02 am »

* IF MC is used to "DELETE FROM LIBARY AND DISC", this is done BUT the source folder remains, all non-music files (cover art, etc.) remain...only the track files are deleted;

Yep.

the only way I figured out how to correct this is move the files in MC using MC, and then deleting the old folders and left over files.
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

blgentry

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2015, 11:51:19 am »

Good point.  I don't delete a lot of things, so I hadn't considered that.

*IF AUTO IMPORT is used, it looks like the import will only include music files...and not cover art, docs, etc.;

Cover art should be picked up automatically from the directory.  "Docs", I'm not sure about.  If you mean like PDF liner notes and things like that, I'm not sure how that stuff works.  I've read up on it some, but it was extremely confusing.  I think you need to some very special setup to make liner notes display.  Auto Import works fantastically for music files, video files, and images separately.  I've used auto import on hundreds of albums, movies, TV shows, etc with essentially no issues.

Looks like a two-step process...

If you're going to be deleting things more than occasionally, then yes, a two step process might be better for you.  Delete the directories externally, then use the smart list inside of MC to delete MC's entries.

Unless you have some way of displaying liner notes and extra images with an album, I wouldn't consider that any kind of second step.  MC will pick up the audio files and appropriately named cover art automatically.

Brian.

Bigguy49

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2015, 12:12:28 pm »

This whole situation arose since my music library shares the C:drive with my OS on my working (as opposed to dedicated music) system and I discovered that the size of a desired SYSTEM IMAGE was about 4 times larger due to the amount of music files. 

I am addressing that separately but wanted to clean the library "house" and found these various issues.

I am not interested in displaying playlists or other "doc-type" files...just noticed that MC DELETE function only removes the displayed album cover and the music tracks...not the cover art or other files in the source folder.

May be general knowledge but found that there is a nifty way to get a list of the album folders in my library...

1) Click on the directory or folder containing your music files, in my case album folders, to highlight;
2) Holding cursor over the directory, do SHIFT-RIGHT CLICK and select OPEN COMMAND LINE;
3) Type "DIR > PRINT.TXT";
4) Click ENTER'
5) PRINT.TXT file should be listed at bottom of the directory contents list;
6) TXT file can be printed or saved as an accessible inventory of albums;

Will be using this list with the ALBUMS selected in MC to purge my library. ;-)
Pages: [1]   Go Up