INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cannot Create Multiple Libraries  (Read 7913 times)

jaybe

• Recent member
Cannot Create Multiple Libraries
« on: January 06, 2016, 10:23:01 am »

My server has two hard drives, each holding music files. I import from both into the Main Library. This so far is the only library.

I would like to create two more libraries, each that represents the files on each of the separate HDs. So Main Library = HD1 + HD2, New Library  1 = HD1, New Library 2 = HD2. (The reason for this is one of the HDs is a modified "audiophile" HD that also contains generally higher SQ files, and I'll want to load these libraries/HDs individually.)

When I create the first new Library, I set the new library name and enter the path to the library, but get an error message that this cannot be done. (Sorry I'm not at that computer now so forget the exact message.) I've tried it several times with both the individual HDs but no luck.

Why can this not be done?

Thanks.

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Cannot Create Multiple Libraries
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2016, 10:43:18 am »

Ok, first some terminology:

In MC the "Library" refers to the database files that MC uses to store information about the media files, settings, etc.  A lot of people call their media files (songs, videos, etc) their library.  But in MC Library means just the database files.

As such, MC's library really should be stored on an internal hard drive.  It's rather small; just a few megabytes (not gigs, megs).  So it's no problem.  So you can create a new library in any empty directory on your internal drive and MC will populate it with it's database files, giving you an empty database.  Then you could import, just like you did in your first library.  This does NOT move the media files.  It just makes references to them in the database (library).

But there's really no reason to do that in your case.  You just want to separate out your audiophile quality songs from your regular ones right?  You can easily do that in MC with a view instead.  You can have the default view, which shows everything.  Then a second view that shows just the audiophile stuff.  A third view can show just the non-audiophile stuff.  You can switch views just by clicking on them.  Switching libraries takes more time (20 seconds or so).  Libraries can't ever be combined.  Views really are the best solution in most cases.

Let's make it easy for you to start.  Do this:

Go to one of the views (on the left) that you like.  Let's duplicate it.  Drag that view up to the upper level where it says "Audio".  It will ask if you want to move or copy.  Choose copy.  Now you'll have another copy of that view with a (1) after it.

Let's alter it to *only* see your audiophile files.  Right click on it and choose customize view.  Now Settings > Included Files > Set rules for fie display .  In the search wizard that comes up, choose: 

Filename  Starts With  (type in your drive letter and path here) .

Click OK several times.  It may ask you if you want to overwrite the view; say yes if it does.

Now this view should only show you the files from the audiophile drive.  Right click the view and change it's name to something that makes sense like "Albums (audiophile)".  Repeat this entire process and create a new view that shows only your non-audiophile files.

Now you can see everything in the stock views.  You can see the audiophile stuff in one view.  You can see the non-audiophile in another view.  You could take this further and create new top level items like Audio (audiophile) and have multiple views below that for Album, Artist, etc.  This probably isn't necessary, but it's not hard to do.  Views inherit the rules from their top levels, so you can add your file selection criteria once and then every view below that will have that same criteria.

I hope this all makes sense.  Ask questions if you need help.  Good luck!

Brian.

Arindelle

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2016, 10:53:19 am »

I don't have a Mac anymore so I can't confirm that there isn't something different for libraries.  But provided that the OS can "see" the path/shared mapped network drive, shouldn't be a problem. As both paths are already in the library called "Main" evidently they are being "seen" and are importable already. Should work, unless you are trying to do this from a client and not the server machine where the "Main Library" is located.

A little of an aside to your question, but normally you do not want to create separate libraries, so +1 to Brian's suggestion. You really don't want to do this for the reason you indicated. Can of worms .. don't re-tag in the separated libraries if you decide to do so anyways.

jaybe

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2016, 10:58:13 am »

Ok, first some terminology:

In MC the "Library" refers to the database files that MC uses to store information about the media files, settings, etc.  A lot of people call their media files (songs, videos, etc) their library.  But in MC Library means just the database files.

As such, MC's library really should be stored on an internal hard drive.  It's rather small; just a few megabytes (not gigs, megs).  So it's no problem.  So you can create a new library in any empty directory on your internal drive and MC will populate it with it's database files, giving you an empty database.  Then you could import, just like you did in your first library.  This does NOT move the media files.  It just makes references to them in the database (library).

But there's really no reason to do that in your case.  You just want to separate out your audiophile quality songs from your regular ones right?  You can easily do that in MC with a view instead.  You can have the default view, which shows everything.  Then a second view that shows just the audiophile stuff.  A third view can show just the non-audiophile stuff.  You can switch views just by clicking on them.  Switching libraries takes more time (20 seconds or so).  Libraries can't ever be combined.  Views really are the best solution in most cases.

Let's make it easy for you to start.  Do this:

Go to one of the views (on the left) that you like.  Let's duplicate it.  Drag that view up to the upper level where it says "Audio".  It will ask if you want to move or copy.  Choose copy.  Now you'll have another copy of that view with a (1) after it.

Let's alter it to *only* see your audiophile files.  Right click on it and choose customize view.  Now Settings > Included Files > Set rules for fie display .  In the search wizard that comes up, choose: 

Filename  Starts With  (type in your drive letter and path here) .

Click OK several times.  It may ask you if you want to overwrite the view; say yes if it does.

Now this view should only show you the files from the audiophile drive.  Right click the view and change it's name to something that makes sense like "Albums (audiophile)".  Repeat this entire process and create a new view that shows only your non-audiophile files.

Now you can see everything in the stock views.  You can see the audiophile stuff in one view.  You can see the non-audiophile in another view.  You could take this further and create new top level items like Audio (audiophile) and have multiple views below that for Album, Artist, etc.  This probably isn't necessary, but it's not hard to do.  Views inherit the rules from their top levels, so you can add your file selection criteria once and then every view below that will have that same criteria.

I hope this all makes sense.  Ask questions if you need help.  Good luck!

Brian.

Not sure this is what I want. I've created separate libraries on other servers and it worked fine.

How will views work in JRemote? That's how I control JRiver. Will JRemote just show a single view?

blgentry

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2016, 11:04:37 am »

Not sure this is what I want. I've created separate libraries on other servers and it worked fine.

Sure, you can do that if you want.  It has disadvantages as I outlined.  For example, you can't switch libraries from JRemote. You'll have to change libraries manually on the server, then reconnect JRemote to see the new library.

How will views work in JRemote? That's how I control JRiver. Will JRemote just show a single view?

Each item you see in JRemote like Albums, Artists, etc are all views.  Views can be exported from your regular MC views to JRemote any time you want.  You can have as many views as you want and you can see them all from JRemote if you export them there.

Setting up views *will* require you to use the computer interface to MC.  We call this Standard View.  Once you get the views working in Standard View the way you like them, then you can export them to JRemote with:

Tools > Options > Media Network > Advanced > Customize views for JRemote...

If you need help, we can probably guide you along.

Brian.

jaybe

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2016, 11:18:24 am »

Will give it a go. Thanks Brian.

jaybe

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2016, 09:12:31 pm »

Ok I'll take that help...

Created the new view. But, I don't have Customize views for JRemote, only for Gizmo and WebGizmo. Don't see JRemote mentioned anywhere there.

BTW this is MC19.

blgentry

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2016, 09:22:17 pm »

I've never used MC19.  I thought that the customize views for JRemote covered all remote control apps for MC.  Using the one for Gizmo; it should work, as they use the same protocol, the same port, etc.

Brian.

fritsveer

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2016, 02:14:09 pm »

Hi Brian

Thanks for this guidance! It all worked for me, including the views to JRemote.
On this last i have a Q. I made a view in Audio for my DSD files, which are on a different folder then my other music.
Despite that, in the view (also on the computer) I see the other albums (non dsd) as unassigned.
Can I delete these or will that jeopardize my overall library?

blgentry

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2016, 02:57:44 pm »

Glad to hear it's mostly working!

If you've got a view that you ONLY want to see DSD files in, you should customize the view to filter on only those kinds of files at:

<right click view> customize view > Settings > Included files > set rules for file display

What's the best way to identify DSD files?  You could do it several ways.  I think one good way is:

[Bit Depth] = 1

Pretty much any other type of audio file is going to have a bit depth of at least 8, so that should isolate *ONLY* DSD files for you.  Give it a try and let us know how it works out.

Good luck.

Brian.

fritsveer

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2016, 03:29:43 pm »

Hi Brian

Tested. Working like charm. DSD bit depth is 1 en HD Bit depth greater then 17.
I also understand now how to set up me JRemote audio items.

Thanks!

blgentry

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2016, 03:41:58 pm »

Sweet.  :)

Glad to hear it's all sorted out.  Enjoy MC and (more importantly) the music. 

Brian.
Pages: [1]   Go Up