INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Chord Mojo  (Read 13502 times)

robertisonline

• Junior Woodchuck
Chord Mojo
« on: January 07, 2016, 02:00:13 pm »

The Chord Mojo DAC + amp has been getting a lot of positive receptions from the audiophile community. I currently have 2 DAC's. One Cambridge DM100 ($300) that I use for my monitors and one Fiio E17K Alpen 2 ($140) which is portable and generally paired with my Grado 325e's. I am wondering if anyone here has listened to the Mojo and what there thoughts are in general? I am thinking about upgrading, I just don't know if it's worth $600 from where I am at right now. Also, I love this forum.

Thanks!

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Chord Mojo
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2016, 03:02:08 pm »

For $600 I would be researching differences (in sound) between that DAC and at least the Schiit Bifrost Multi-bit.  The Bifrost multi has people raving about it.

Brian.

robertisonline

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2016, 09:17:14 pm »

For $600 I would be researching differences (in sound) between that DAC and at least the Schiit Bifrost Multi-bit.  The Bifrost multi has people raving about it.

Brian.

I am looking for a DAC + amp combo. Any suggestions for that price range ($500-$700)?

Arindelle

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2016, 03:28:53 am »

for that price I second the schitt Bifrost. If this is only for headphones you can use one of their amps (Asgard for 250 or Magni Uber version for $150) The Bifrost multi is going to cost 600$ but you could save 250 and upgrade latter and still go Bifrost. But I'd go for the multi and save on the amp/preamp probably if just used for headphones -- check out their site to see the different options. The Asgard would give you more options but the combo would run a bit more than your budget

I've heard good things about CHord Dacs but I'm suspicious about the amp section in this Mojo -- the DAC might be fine, but I've read it runs hot and seems a bit too portable, "gadgety" to me so I'm more leery about the amp section in it. I've tested a Bifrost (with old Uber upgrade on an all Linn, active system and it blew me away for the price so I bet with a multi, you could be happy with it in any system and they sell upgrades as the tech evolves.)

robertisonline

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2016, 09:09:55 pm »

I finally had a chance to listen to the Chord Mojo and overall I found its performance to be incongruous with its reputation. I tested the dac + amp combo with Michael Jackson's SACD remasters of Billie Jean in .dff and 24/88.2 FLAC on a pair of Grado 325e's and a pair of closed-back Audeze. A few other songs I can't remember, all hi-res except for the soundtrack to Shawshank Redemption in AIFF 16/44.1 and MP3 192Kbps. The portability of this device is very convenient, but seems to be a major drawback as well. I took my own Cambridge DM 100 and paired it with the MusicHall ph 25.2 amp (this pair retails for $700) and it blew the Mojo ($600) out of the water. I wish the Mojo performed better because I had planned on buying it. For portability, I'll stick to my Fiio E17K Alpen 2 for the time being.

I've heard good things about CHord Dacs but I'm suspicious about the amp section in this Mojo -- the DAC might be fine, but I've read it runs hot and seems a bit too portable, "gadgety" to me so I'm more leery about the amp section in it. I've tested a Bifrost (with old Uber upgrade on an all Linn, active system and it blew me away for the price so I bet with a multi, you could be happy with it in any system and they sell upgrades as the tech evolves.)

Tim

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2016, 03:11:34 pm »

I am auditioning this Dac (mojo) at the moment and have been able to give it some attention earlier today having finally got 21 working on the mac.

The Chord does a lot of things very well. It certainly achieves good detail and balance in the mid range where it counts. Vocals are characterful and nuanced and Brass / Silver instrument tones come out very true and with real presence. Chord have been around long enough to understand musicality as well and rhythmically this dac pulls it off though not with the tick tock pace of the Rega Dac (my only other dac). Ultimately when it comes to recorded music my benchmark will always be good vinyl replay (until / unless something better comes along).

On that basis (trying hard to sound analogue) the Rega beats the Chord for sheer musicality - meanwhile the Chord offers more detail and imaging and is not unmusical in the rhythm dept. It is also portable (the Rega is a big box). The Chord is certainly more 'Hi Fi' and 'Digital' in it's approach and will surely wow many who have little experience of good analogue replay. I know from experience that i'm far less interested in hearing the third violin scratch his nose etc. than I am in absorbing and effortless musical engagement. The Chord however offers a new window into aspects of some recordings without ignoring the cohesive replay of the whole work.

The Chord is not however clinical or over analytical. It is a little different in signature to anything else I have heard, perhaps reflecting the chips architecture which is not off the shelf but designed from the ground up for the device. It has a rather pleasant, solid and funky design even though the coloured lights waste energy and circuitry. It is a little bass light (and only a little) to my ears - I am not a 'bass head' as I listen to all genres of music but both my vinyl system and CD/Dac set up on the main system deliver more bottom than the mojo into Shahinian Arcs which are pretty even handed full range speakers. Chord assure me that the sound signature takes a few hundred hours to come right and that the bottom end smooths out and opens up - so if I do keep it I will post an update. Someone also said that the jitterbug can really help in the bass dept (anyone using these). Top end is clear, controlled and without shrillness or splash. This review reflects the performance through a full system using mc21 and not a headphone set up (yet).

Another point - cable impedance may influence hot running. I used a cheap Cambridge wire leant me by the shop as I didn't have a 3.5 to rca. Dac got silly hot and switched off. I used a Chord chorus I had lying around via an adapter and it runs cool and sounds a whole lot less forced in the way digital can and more natural and analogue. If I keep it I will get my good friend Phil ('the' Sondek whizz in England) to make me up a special from Mogami mic cable for some hand tied fishing flies. ;)

I need to listen to some of the portable competition before I pull the trigger - any advice on what else might set the toes tapping?

Tim

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2016, 02:05:48 pm »

Well I said the Mojo is not un-musical but relative to some of the competition I need to revisit the meaning of this statement. So I kept on listening to music via the Mojo - and listening and listening. The balance of bass did not improve sadly and in fact 'appeared' to worsen in the sense that once I got over being impressed by the separation and detail I increasingly found the presentation tiring and ultimately a little too slow and Hi - Fi.

I still wanted a portable solution so had also bought the Fiio x3 sg on recommendation. Well the Fiio certainly shed some qualitative light on the Mojo's failings. The Fiio is certainly a little over warm for my tastes (this is all getting a bit Goldilocks) but undoubtedly sets the music straight as far as cohesive rhythmic presentation is concerned - and is therefore both engaging and non tiring over time. At present I only have an old pair of Grado 60's to check out the headphone output on both devices. I was barely getting through a track with the Mojo but with the Fiio X3 sg found that I was actually enjoying music. It flows so much better both through a very good Hi Fi set up and more basic cans and clearly has the better dynamic range - at least in the lower registers which are presented as tuneful and with reasonable grip.

My 11 year old son who is a musician and records as a singer with an internationally recognised symphony orchestra put it best. He said:

1. The Fiio costs £159 compared to £399 for the Mojo.

2. It's smaller.

3. It requires less wasteful fiddling around with computers.

4. It simply sounds better.

Well there you have it - for us at least, another well touted but ultimately unsatisfying piece of Hi - res flummery bites the dust.

Does anyone have a good recommendation for good cans or in ears to go with the Fiio?

Still wish Rega would design a portable hi -res player dac amp.  8)

robertisonline

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2016, 03:49:06 am »

For cans, check out Grado. The 325e model is certainly worth the cost ($300). A step up is the PS500e ($600) or the RS1e ($700) but I don't think the latter two are worth the cost in your case (or in general). If the cost of the DAC is twice the cost of the headphones generally more value is achieved. There are many headphones that cost around $100 dollars that sound better paired with something like your Fiio than a pair of $300 headphones without.

What an accomplishment for your son. You must be very proud. A vocalist at that age reminds me of The Boys Choir of Harlem featured in the soundtrack to Glory by James Horner. One of my favorite pieces.

Well I said the Mojo is not un-musical but relative to some of the competition I need to revisit the meaning of this statement. So I kept on listening to music via the Mojo - and listening and listening. The balance of bass did not improve sadly and in fact 'appeared' to worsen in the sense that once I got over being impressed by the separation and detail I increasingly found the presentation tiring and ultimately a little too slow and Hi - Fi.

I still wanted a portable solution so had also bought the Fiio x3 sg on recommendation. Well the Fiio certainly shed some qualitative light on the Mojo's failings. The Fiio is certainly a little over warm for my tastes (this is all getting a bit Goldilocks) but undoubtedly sets the music straight as far as cohesive rhythmic presentation is concerned - and is therefore both engaging and non tiring over time. At present I only have an old pair of Grado 60's to check out the headphone output on both devices. I was barely getting through a track with the Mojo but with the Fiio X3 sg found that I was actually enjoying music. It flows so much better both through a very good Hi Fi set up and more basic cans and clearly has the better dynamic range - at least in the lower registers which are presented as tuneful and with reasonable grip.

My 11 year old son who is a musician and records as a singer with an internationally recognised symphony orchestra put it best. He said:

1. The Fiio costs £159 compared to £399 for the Mojo.

2. It's smaller.

3. It requires less wasteful fiddling around with computers.

4. It simply sounds better.

Well there you have it - for us at least, another well touted but ultimately unsatisfying piece of Hi - res flummery bites the dust.

Does anyone have a good recommendation for good cans or in ears to go with the Fiio?

Still wish Rega would design a portable hi -res player dac amp.  8)
Pages: [1]   Go Up