INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC20 Peak Level Overflows with High Pass Filter Enabled  (Read 9403 times)

fooze

• Junior Woodchuck
  • TURN IT UP
MC20 Peak Level Overflows with High Pass Filter Enabled
« on: January 08, 2016, 01:03:44 am »

I was playing around with my DSP settings today and noticed my peak level was pegged at 100%. I turned on flat line overflows and noticed the peak level was often up at 150-160%. I started disabling PEQ filters and when I turned off my high pass on Left and Right channels, the peak level goes back to sensible amounts. What's going on here?

It doesn't sound bad, in fact, sounds no different with flat line overflows to clip protection, but it's really freaking me out.

Edit: Nothing in the analyzer is going above 0dB either.

fooze

• Junior Woodchuck
  • TURN IT UP
Re: MC20 Peak Level Overflows with High Pass Filter Enabled
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2016, 05:45:24 am »

Any ideas? Did I post in the wrong forum?

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2016, 06:17:41 am »

you probably wanted this forum -> http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?board=38.0

this thread (and the linked thread) sounds like it covers it -> https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=99438.0

fooze

• Junior Woodchuck
  • TURN IT UP
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2016, 07:13:00 am »

Nice. That explains it well, thanks heaps. I needed -5dB to tame it on my material.

Hey just quickly, when I'm summing L and R to create the sub channel, they should be mixed with -3dB on each channel instead of -6dB right?

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2016, 07:38:24 am »

-6dB gives a cast iron guarantee you will not clip as 2 coherent waves sum at +6dB, incoherent waves sum at +3dB
if the last few dB isn't important then I'd go with -6, if it is then -3 and let the jriver limiter manage it for you
Pages: [1]   Go Up