INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: [QNAP NAS & JRemote] "Audio Streaming Error" when enabling "Transcode Audio"  (Read 7498 times)

Afrosheen

• Galactic Citizen

Cross-posted here originally, thinking it was a JRemote issue.

When I enable "transcode audio" in JRemote when connected to my QNAP MC server, I get an "audio streaming error."  When I'm connected to my Mac Mini MC server via JRemote with "transcode audio" enabled, I experience no such issue.

Thanks for the consideration

bob

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe

Cross-posted here originally, thinking it was a JRemote issue.

When I enable "transcode audio" in JRemote when connected to my QNAP MC server, I get an "audio streaming error."  When I'm connected to my Mac Mini MC server via JRemote with "transcode audio" enabled, I experience no such issue.

Thanks for the consideration
Probably missing lame on the QNAP. Is it downloadable in HDStation?

Afrosheen

• Galactic Citizen

Under "Encoding" when selecting MP3 encoder, it says that for VBR and CBR MC uses LAME.  Now how do I know that for the Media Network service that it can use the encoder when JRemote has it enabled to transcode the audio?

bob

• Administrator

Under "Encoding" when selecting MP3 encoder, it says that for VBR and CBR MC uses LAME.  Now how do I know that for the Media Network service that it can use the encoder when JRemote has it enabled to transcode the audio?
On the Windows and Mac platforms MC installs the encoder however in linux we expect it to be there (and it is a requirement in the debian package). There isn't a dependency requirement in the QNAP packages as far as I know so you need to install lame separately. Of course there wasn't a way to know this in advance and it's not clear that JRemote uses lame when transcoding.

Afrosheen

• Galactic Citizen

Ok thanks bob.  How would I go about installing LAME on the QNAP for MC to use?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?

Ok thanks bob.  How would I go about installing LAME on the QNAP for MC to use?
Did you try the QNAP forum?

Afrosheen

• Galactic Citizen

Please excuse my ignorance, but why would this be a QNAP forum question when I'm trying to get a Media Center feature to encode files for playback to work properly?  Isn't this something that should be resolved here so that other patrons of the software be able to use as intended?

I don't even know where to post this question on the QNAP forums either as encoding is with regards to specific apps like ffmpeg.

JimH

• Administrator

You could start with a search.

We support MC.  We don't support QNAP or Linux.

Afrosheen

• Galactic Citizen

LAME was already installed as the attached screenshot shows of the list of packages installed on my QNAP.  It's installed as an Optware ipkg.  So it's MC that needs to reference it properly like I said before with reference to ffmpeg.

bob

• Administrator

Please excuse my ignorance, but why would this be a QNAP forum question when I'm trying to get a Media Center feature to encode files for playback to work properly?  Isn't this something that should be resolved here so that other patrons of the software be able to use as intended?

I don't even know where to post this question on the QNAP forums either as encoding is with regards to specific apps like ffmpeg.
It looks like it can't be installed in HDStation as far as I can tell and I don't think Optware packages can be accessed from the HDStation chroot container.

I'll check with the QNAP guys but I suspect we probably will have to provide a way for MC to install it.

Afrosheen

• Galactic Citizen

Ok sounds good!  Thanks for the quick reply!

bob

• Administrator

Ok sounds good!  Thanks for the quick reply!
In the meantime, you could try turning off transcoding in the JRemote settings. That works for me though I suspect it won't on high samplerate or multichannel tracks.

Afrosheen

• Galactic Citizen

Thanks, but I've reverted back to mounting the my NAS on my Mac Mini and connecting JRemote to my Mac Mini MC Server.

Afrosheen

• Galactic Citizen

Any news on this?

JimH

• Administrator

Bob posted about this a day or two ago.  We're waiting for a reply from QNAP.

VR6

• Junior Woodchuck

This is the same problem I am having. How do you disable transcoding?

bob

• Administrator

Transcoding was fixed for QNAP several releases ago.
It does require that MC on the QNAP be able to reach the internet so it can automatically download an encoder.

When the Audio setting in the DLNA server configuration is set to "Original Format" no encoders are needed or used.

VR6

• Junior Woodchuck

I did that and still cannot play my files.
Pages: [1]   Go Up