INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Questions about going back to MJ8  (Read 1940 times)

MGD_King

• Citizen of the Universe
  • It's not easy being me, but it sure is fun!
Questions about going back to MJ8
« on: August 27, 2003, 04:22:24 am »

I installed MC 9.0.180 over top my MJ 8 and I'm considering going back to MJ 8 until the official release of MC 9.1. Exactly how would I do this? I read the FAQ, and, maybe I overlooked it, but how do I do this? Do I just uninstall MC 9? Or do I reinstall MJ8? Do I need to restore the files that I backed up before I installed MC9? Will my MJ8 license still work even though I installed the MC9 demo?

Thanks for any help!

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
Re: Questions about going back to MJ8
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2003, 05:15:13 am »

It's probably safest to uninstall 9, then reinstall 8. And delete (or move) your current library before you do this, because it's incompatible with 8. You'll have to restore your most recent pre-9 library backup.

Your license should be fine.

gkerber

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2003, 05:20:59 am »

I had tried going back to v8 from v9 back in the early days of 9.0.  

You may lose lots of your tagging, I did.

Even though most of the tagging info is stored in the music file itself, somehow, I lost field after field of custom field info when I  imported back into v8.

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2003, 05:48:26 am »

That's probably because 9 supports the creation of any user-defined field you can think of. 8 doesn't.

I forgot to mention that.

MGD_King

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2003, 09:27:52 am »

Thanks guys. The tagging info won't be a problem if I didn't open a lot of my files, right? I know that I ripped two CDs and I could always re-rip them or just update the tag info. I don't use any of the custom tag fields, just the primary ones.

gkerber

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2003, 09:40:41 am »

Thanks guys. The tagging info won't be a problem if I didn't open a lot of my files, right? I know that I ripped two CDs and I could always re-rip them or just update the tag info. I don't use any of the custom tag fields, just the primary ones.

I think/hope you're right about the tags being okay if you didn't open/retag the files.  I know I did lots of work tagging in v9 and lost it all and much of what I did in v8 when I reverted.  My fault, I should have known better.  I'm not a tagging expert, good luck.

BTW:  The latest v9.1 is pretty stable, so you might want to rethink going back.

nila

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2003, 10:16:12 am »

v9.1 is in it's FINAL stages and is just going through final bug fixes right now. No new features are being added really.

If your planning to go back until the 'official release build' - I'd say your probably wasting your time and energy.

By the time you've gone back to v8 and got it all set up and running again properly the final of v9.1 will probably be out.

All the latest builds are pretty much rock solid.

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2003, 10:20:09 am »

And if you find it's not... now's the time to pipe up about it. :)

MGD_King

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2003, 07:07:22 pm »

And if you find it's not... now's the time to pipe up about it. :)

Well, so far, I love MC 9! I mean the fact that there's a plugin for it that supports DX plugins is worth holding onto it until 9.1 comes out, although it will be nicer once the the bugs are worked out of the plugin.  I also like the newer look. Updated..... nice. My only drawback that keeps me from diving head first into this is the tagging issue. As I stated in a different post, when you view the comment field in something other than MC9, it shows up as 9.0.180. That just irritates me!! If you don't believe me, just do this:

1.) Open a folder with MP3s that you've updated the tag info while using MC9.
2.) Right-click the file, click properties, then click the summary tab.
3.) Click the advanced button. Look in the comment field.

I've verified this by using the same method on my room mate's PC. I can even provide some screen shots if you'd like.

If there is one thing that's changed in 9.1 please, please, please let it be that this goes away and it shows what is in the comment tag that I enter in MC just like MJ8 did.
Pages: [1]   Go Up