INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can’t play Quad (11.2) DSD even though my DAC supports it. [solved]  (Read 4411 times)

cooltype

• Junior Woodchuck

Hi,
I can't play Quad (11.2) DSD files even though my DAC, the iDAC2, supports the format. I get this message (I couldn’t insert the screen shot):

"Something went wrong with playback

Details:
Playback could not be started on the output “Core Audio” using the format DoP 11.3 MHZ 2ch”.

This output format may not be supported by your hardware. You can use DSP Studio to change the output to a compatible format.

Also, make sure that your system has a valid sound playback device and that it is properly configured to in playback options."

My iDAC2 and MC 21 have no problems playing all files up to 2X (5.6) DSD as native files unchanged. I’m not sure what to do next.”

I tried to downsample the files but that didn’t work. In MC20, the files were automatically downsampled. MC21 doesn’t want to do anything with these files.

I am running MC21 on an iMac w/ iDAC2 connected via analog to my Denon 2313.

Thanks for your help.

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Can’t play Quad (11.2) DSD even though my DAC supports it.
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2016, 10:33:15 am »

Quad rate DSD support (DSD256) was only added to MC21 for Mac rather recently.  Version 21.0.30 and onward support it.

If you're running an earlier version, update to the latest from the post at the top of the forum.  It's 21.0.31 right now.

Brian.

cooltype

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2016, 01:08:50 pm »

Hi Brian,
Thanks. I’m running 21.0.31 now. I should’ve mentioned that in my original post. Sorry.

blgentry

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2016, 03:35:37 pm »

If you're running the latest MC21 for Mac, I'm not sure where to go from here.  I'm not a DSD expert; just trying to help.  But read on...

I tried to downsample the files but that didn’t work. In MC20, the files were automatically downsampled. MC21 doesn’t want to do anything with these files.

That doesn't make a whole lot of sense.  MC *should* be able to play any DSD file (1x, 2x, or 4x) and convert it to PCM for playback, even if it can't send it to your DAC as DSD (for whatever reason).  Try turning bitstreaming off and see if it will play your files as PCM.  If that works, then you know MC can play the 4xDSD files.

Are you using Output Format > Output Encoding ?  You should turn that off for testing purposes if you are.  Knowing ore details about your audio configuration, particularly in Output Format might be helpful.

Brian.

cooltype

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2016, 09:54:27 pm »

I will give that all a whirl and get back to you. I am not using output encoding.

cooltype

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2016, 10:13:42 pm »

Hi Brian,
If I turn off bitstreaming, the 256 files play but are downsampled to 176. MC 20 does that with bitstreaming turned on. I should be able to play 256 files with bitstreaming on and send to my DAC with no conversion, just like I do with 128 files. It’s not working for some reason. Is there some setting I’m missing?

blgentry

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2016, 10:54:58 pm »

^ No setting I'm aware of.  Bitstreaming should apply to all DSD files (1x , 2x, 4x) as far as I know.

Brian.

cccip

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2016, 10:43:01 am »

iFi micro iDAC2 should use special 5.0A ‘Strawberry’ firmware in order to play DSD256
You can bitstream DSD256 on other devices in JRiver, however your DoP device must support 768kHz PCM sampling rate.

Won't be surprised if iFi special XMOS firmware just down samples DSD256 to DSD128 while reporting DSD256 support.

cooltype

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2016, 10:13:47 am »

Thanks for the heads up ccclp. Vanilla is installed, I have the installer for Strawberry. I just have to decide if I want to run the risk of bricking my iDAC2.

cooltype

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2016, 06:45:46 am »

Hi,
Updated iDAC2 to Strawberry, DSD256 playing perfectly. Thanks so much ccclp!
Pages: [1]   Go Up