INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: segfault in mc21 in vm  (Read 3104 times)

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
segfault in mc21 in vm
« on: January 23, 2016, 03:47:38 am »

I have a plain vanilla debian jessie VM that runs MC21. The VM is set to start mediacentre on startup and I've noticed it tends to segfault like so

Code: [Select]
[   82.562888] mediacenter21[1235]: segfault at 7f0cd8077000 ip 00007f0ce615a9c0 sp 00007f0cd7ffe610 error 4 in libX11.so.6.3.0[7f0ce6115000+13c000]

I access the VM via vnc for UI purposes. I don't see this behaviour on other systems so the VM/VNC nature is an obvious difference. Any ideas on how to solve?

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
Re: segfault in mc21 in vm
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2016, 07:01:08 pm »

it seems jriver does not like being auto started in a VM, even if I've connected via VNC before it starts then it still segfaults when configured to automatically start on login. If I then start it manually, it's fine.

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
Re: segfault in mc21 in vm
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2016, 07:10:54 pm »

it seems jriver does not like being auto started in a VM, even if I've connected via VNC before it starts then it still segfaults when configured to automatically start on login. If I then start it manually, it's fine.

9/10 when I get an MC segfault with a script but not manually it's because I'm missing environment variables.  Is it possible that you're missing an environment variable from the script you're using to auto-start it? ($DISPLAY being the most likely candidate as that will cause an immediate segfault).  I've autostarted MC successfully in VMs on a VNC display just fine, but I've always had to assign/export both $USER and $DISPLAY in order to get it to start programmatically.  Depending on what's calling the script (i.e. cron) you might need yet more environment variables. 

An easy test is to pipe the output of "env" into a file in the script and see how the environment it's executing in differs from the default environment.  If you're autostarting it some way other than through a script you might want to try using a script instead of whatever session faculty you're currently using.

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
Re:
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2016, 03:15:13 am »

Ok thanks, I will take a look at that. Fwiw I am just using the built in startup stuff KDE provides (which works on another, physical, install).

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
Re:
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2016, 12:22:09 pm »

Ok thanks, I will take a look at that. Fwiw I am just using the built in startup stuff KDE provides (which works on another, physical, install).

Not sure about KDE as I've never run it, but logind session stuff is super wonky in some virtual environments, so I would advise trying to script it if possible or setup a systemd user service. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up