INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rip overwrites tracks of the same name  (Read 5453 times)

reginamp

Rip overwrites tracks of the same name
« on: January 27, 2016, 07:16:43 am »

I ripped about 700 disks to my library and have discovered that JRiver overwrites tracks of the same name. So if a disk has 8 tracks for Bach Partita No. 1 in B Minor, all titled Bach Partita No. 1 in B Minor, only the last track gets burned to my library.

This is a deadly bug and seems very odd. Shouldn't each track be assigned a UniqueID (unseen in most views by the user) during a burn and all track information - like disk title, musician, track title, track number-- be assigned to it. This would prevent the problem. Or, the software could simply combine the track number and the title of the track to avoid the issue. Can you tell I design software? Anyway, it is a very annoying and time-intensive oversight to deal with as a user.

Arindelle

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Rip overwrites tracks of the same name
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2016, 09:32:12 am »

hmm you have a problem, which I admit would be terribly frustrating. there should never be anything being over written .. and even if they were the exact same name, they would be imported anyways because they have different track numbers. You can have thousands identical track names (some jazz albums have three takes, usually indicated in the tag, but not always.

I believe you would need to have album artist, album name, track no and track name to be identical .. probably the artist field too. I suppose it is possible that the tag information is bad, but that would mean that the track numbers would have to be the same too at the very least. That would be very rare.

Perhaps you have set-up incorrectly your ripping masks (template)? Perhaps you have set up your import options incorrectly?

could you open the tag window and copy and paste here the File name with the path for one of the track for the bach album in question
(I have four different versions of Bach's Partita No. 1 in B Flat Major - the eighth part is always Gigue, the first is Praeludium there are 3 minuets I suppose, but even if they were just Partita No. 1 they still have different track numbers).

Explaining how the JRiver db works takes longer to get into (no unique record ID per se, its not relational), but I have never seen this happen.

Magic_Randy

• MC Beta Team
  • I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure..
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2016, 11:55:57 am »

Double check your options and make sure you do not have "Overwrite existing files that have the same name" checked.

You can find this by going to: Tools->Options->CD & DVD->CD Ripping->File Management

Arindelle

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2016, 12:49:02 pm »

Double check your options and make sure you do not have "Overwrite existing files that have the same name" checked.

You can find this by going to: Tools->Options->CD & DVD->CD Ripping->File Management
isn't that more for videos than for audio? With coherent audio filenames (including paths) should not pose any problems whatsoever ... unless they are "true" duplicates. Or the OP is ripping to one big wav file +cue sheets, or ISO versions of SACDs, but as it was not mentioned I'm assuming that is not the case.

Sounds more to me like the rip template is not writing the track number and/or the metadata is not good. Especially with the example he gave. There should be 8 tracks with the Bach partita he mentioned ... each with a distinct track number -- even if the name tag is the same it would not be considered the same, right? (unless of course the track number is not incorporated in the filename and if that is the case, the OP should change this before he rips more).

Even if unchecking that option were to work, there is something else wrong. I agree with Randy though, that option shouldn't be checked regardless, better cull real duplicates out later.

Magic_Randy

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2016, 12:55:27 pm »

isn't that more for videos than for audio? ...

I'm not a place right now where I can test it, but I think MC will overwrite files when ripping CDs if this option is set.

Most Templates that I've used do not include the Track Number as part of the file name. So if the Track name is the same for all tracks, you would get true duplicate files.

Arindelle

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2016, 04:42:12 am »

I'm not a place right now where I can test it, but I think MC will overwrite files when ripping CDs if this option is set.

Most Templates that I've used do not include the Track Number as part of the file name. So if the Track name is the same for all tracks, you would get true duplicate files.
well, in my opinion of course, this is not good practice -- and I'm not trying to be at all condescending here  :) These are NOT true duplicates, they are just being interpreted as such. Even if the rest of the metadata is available and could be rebuilt from the directory folder structure. I really recommend, using JRiver or not, to include at least the track number + Track name. This can be critical for Classical Music. No word from the OP yet though, but I think not having track numbers in the filenames/metadata, for him at least, is not a good plan.

Magic_Randy

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2016, 07:50:31 am »

well, in my opinion of course, this is not good practice -- and I'm not trying to be at all condescending here  :) These are NOT true duplicates, they are just being interpreted as such. Even if the rest of the metadata is available and could be rebuilt from the directory folder structure. I really recommend, using JRiver or not, to include at least the track number + Track name. This can be critical for Classical Music. No word from the OP yet though, but I think not having track numbers in the filenames/metadata, for him at least, is not a good plan.
MC will not overwrite files even if you do not use track number as part the filename as long as the option I referenced is not set. If MC detects an existing file exists for that file name it will append a number to the end of the file name to make it unique.

Of course we've not heard from the OP so this may not even be the issue he is having.

Arindelle

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2016, 10:02:48 am »

MC will not overwrite files even if you do not use track number as part the filename as long as the option I referenced is not set. If MC detects an existing file exists for that file name it will append a number to the end of the file name to make it unique
ah OK Randy. good to know thx

reginamp

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2016, 10:24:38 am »

I did have this checked. Bummer. What is a ripping template? I didn't see anything regarding ripping template when I set-up things up...

But this does not explain all the other library problems I have discovered. I am going to start a new thread because it has nothing to do with track names so far as I can tell. Urgh. I wish there had been some recipe for burning large library.

Thanks.

Arindelle

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2016, 12:43:09 pm »

What is a ripping template?
Sometimes its called a mask depending on which program you use. It is useful to create filename and paths on the fly based on the metadata (tags)

A Simple template would be like Z:\[Album Artist]\[Album]\[Track #]_[Name]_[Album]_[Artist]  When ripping a whole collection you should give this some thought. You would probably want to create a template more complex or have a second one for Various Artists (or Multiple Artists if you prefer),and perhaps again another for Classical Music if you plan on using Composer as a key field. If you are curious a reason to have artist as part of the file name is useful for compilations, soundtracks etc. Where the album artist would be for example Various Artists

If you are ripping with JRiver you can set up a mask under File Location=>Audio (CD Rips...); in JRiver they separate base path, from folder and filename.

You of course can use whatever template you want. As JRiver and any decent player/library software will work off metadata. There are benefits to have a minimal amount (like my example above) of info though. As I said the very minimum would include a track number and track name.

Actually I'm very surprised at the basic masks they give you as choices in JRiver. To have a folder structure that does not include Album Artist is going to cause a problem with compilations right away. They give you a choice to use Genre however, which arguably serves no purpose whatsoever. Go figure?
Pages: [1]   Go Up