INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Trying to upload to Bandcamp and getting error because file is 6 channels?  (Read 14589 times)

Soshanna

• Junior Woodchuck

I have a bunch of FLAC files I got off of Bandcamp and Im putting together a compilation album for a project I'm doing.  When I try to upload a track (FLAC) I get an error message that says.

"The uploaded track couldn't be processed because the file is in an incompatible format (it has 6 channels)" 

This is only happening on files that I have played inside MC!  If I download a fresh FLAC file from Bandcamp and try to upload it of course it works just fine.

Im very new to all of this and dont understand a lot about audio paths, mixing, channels and all that yet so bare with me.....but what process is taking place during the audio path in MC that is changing my FLAC files so they can not be uploaded to Bandcamp? 

It shouldn't alter my files?   Should it?  Help please! 

attached, pic of audio path
Don't fix it if it ain't broken!  If it's broken and you can't fix it, shoot it!

ferday

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe

the audio path clearly states you are converting from 2 to 6 channels

go into the DSP studio>output format and set channels to "source number of channels"

edit:  it's a bit strange too that you are converting to 6 channels yet moving the center to the mains, implying you don't really have 6 channels...

Soshanna

• Junior Woodchuck

the audio path clearly states you are converting from 2 to 6 channels

go into the DSP studio>output format and set channels to "source number of channels"

Yes, I see it does clearly say that....but why does it actually change/alter the properties of the file itself.  Im trying to take a file that I played in MC and upload it to a website and its reading it as a file with 6 channels.

and as far as changing output format and set channels to "source number of channels"....I have these choices.....and I used the recommended, default choice. (Pic attached)   Thanks for your help, but can you explain what is happening?  :)
Don't fix it if it ain't broken!  If it's broken and you can't fix it, shoot it!

ferday

• MC Beta Team

you just played the file?

that's really odd, MC absolutely won't change your files from just playing them, you'd have to re-encode them to change anything....without more information i don't even know where to start.  maybe someone else has had a similar experience and can chime in

one thing you can do is select one of the offending tracks in MC, and show the tags...this will show how many channels are actually encoded to the file

as to your "default" settings, when using direct sound, the channels are set in windows and not in MC, so you'll have to go into windows settings, playback devices and configure your audio device (sound card, DAC, whatever) for the proper number of channels.  how many speakers do you use?

Soshanna

• Junior Woodchuck

you just played the file?

that's really odd, MC absolutely won't change your files from just playing them, you'd have to re-encode them to change anything....without more information i don't even know where to start.  maybe someone else has had a similar experience and can chime in

one thing you can do is select one of the offending tracks in MC, and show the tags...this will show how many channels are actually encoded to the file

as to your "default" settings, when using direct sound, the channels are set in windows and not in MC, so you'll have to go into windows settings, playback devices and configure your audio device (sound card, DAC, whatever) for the proper number of channels.  how many speakers do you use?

Yeah, I just played it is all. Im really sorry to be asking you all these questions that I dont know the answer to, but what do you mean by I would have had to re-encode them?  Do you mean tagging?  Because I do add some tagging field, but that cant be what you are referring to.   So Im not sure what you mean...sorry.   But I did play the file inside MC, looked up the tags....saw the channel field and it is at 6, but how'd it get that way?  lol   I guess Ive got things messed up somehow.  HELP!  :)

I use a 5.1 system. 

ferday

• MC Beta Team

don't be sorry, this is what Interact is for :)

by "encode" i mean the only way to change a 2 channel file into an actual 6 channel file is by re-writing the file entirely (re-encoding).  MC can do this but it's not really something that can be done by accident (right click>library tools>convert format)

if you are using a 5.1 system then your channels are (mostly) correct although i'm not sure why it would move the center channel.  what is your audio chain (i.e. PC>MC21>sound card??  AVR??  system audio (speakers plugged into PC?>speakers)

i just tested by making a direct sound zone to 5.1 and played a file...nothing changed in the file at all.  MC is very smart when it comes to "analyzing" the audio...so the number of channels is never wrong.  for something to try, select one of the files, right click>library tools>analyze audio

does it change what the tags say for the number of channels?

Soshanna

• Junior Woodchuck

Can someone could help me set this up right...please.

I use 5.1 speakers....I dont have a DAC.  Here are pics of the way I have it set up now......still my question....why is it changing the file to a 6 channel file after I play it?

ferday

• MC Beta Team

Soshanna, those settings look ok

sorry to be a pain, but could you post a screen shot of one of the files with the tag window up?

Soshanna

• Junior Woodchuck

Ok I tried analyzing one of the files and it still reads 6 channels, but now Im noticing not ALL tracks read 6 channels, some read 2.

Soshanna

• Junior Woodchuck

Soshanna, those settings look ok

sorry to be a pain, but could you post a screen shot of one of the files with the tag window up?

Sure

Soshanna

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: Trying to upload to Bandcamp and getting error because file is 6 channels?
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2016, 12:35:43 pm »

and you're not being a pain, I feel I am....you are being very helpful....and I appreciate it.   ;)

Im just so confused why some read 2 and some read 6?

ferday

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2016, 12:44:01 pm »

the bitrate (1895) from your screen shot is pretty consistent with a 16 bit multichannel file...

what that means, is the evidence shows the file is indeed likely a (possible) multichannel file.  bandcamp doesn't directly support multi downloads, so that means it had to have been re-encoded somewhere, somehow...

do you have the original .zip file from the bandcamp download?   (i keep all mine)

if so, you could try extracting one of the files, then get it into MC (DON'T PLAY IT!) and view the tag information...if it is in fact 2 channels, play it once then check again...at least that way we could confirm MC is the culprit here....

Soshanna

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2016, 12:55:12 pm »

Okay before I do that tell me if this was maybe the problem.  

I was looking at that setting.  Playback options>Device settings and instead of using the "Default Channels (recommended)" option,  I changed it to "All Channels" and then tried to play something, and I got an message saying MC was unable to play that with the settings I have set up, and wanted to know if MC should change to a 2 channel set up?  Which of course, I said yes and now I am playing music and I'm not getting that audio path message where it was saying "Changing 2 channels to 6"  

Maybe that was the reason they were being changed in the first place?  

ferday

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2016, 01:04:40 pm »

i wish i had a nice answer...

the playback settings should not be able to change the file!  it's possible there is a bug, but i've tested a bit and haven't had the issue...and it's not something that's come up IIRC in the forums

you'll notice you can't change the "channels" tag yourself, that's because MC gets that information from the file.  to change this you need to re-encode, which like i said is not easy to accidentally do...

so for now i have to colour myself confused, but if you try testing a file that is causing you issues we may get some more info.

edit:  when i say i've tested, i configured MC (and windows) to all the different settings you've posted, and played some known 2 channel tracks...nothing weird happened.

Soshanna

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2016, 01:10:47 pm »

OKay, well I did re-downloaded a zip file of the one that was reading 6 channels, and imported it into MC and looked at the tags, and it reads 2 channels. So now if I play a file that was previously tagged 6 channels, will it change it to 2 now that the settings appear to be fixed?

and I really thank you for your help.....Ill keep messing with it and see if I can come up with anything concrete to add to this.  AT least I know a little more about the problem and what to look for, so thank you!!   By the way, whats your genre of choice over at Bandcamp?   8)

ferday

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2016, 01:13:14 pm »

the best thing to do, is (assuming after you play it, the channels stay at 2!!) is to delete all of the files that were saying 6 channels, and replace them with the known 2 channel versions.  you can delete them through MC, and that way they will also delete from the library

i'm a metalhead through and through on Bandcamp   :)
i have a bunch of different accounts but my main one is https://bandcamp.com/ferday

Arindelle

« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2016, 01:26:59 pm »

Agree with Ferday ... that field is not user editable, the file is undoubtedly a 6 channel file especially with that bitrate.  I buy a lot of stuff from bandcamp and sometimes get 24bit files, but never have I seen multichannel files.

Regardless this file will playback locally if your config is set up right. You are using Direct sound plus it looks like you ar upsampling mp3s to 48khz which I don't understand why you would need or want to do that, but thats beside the point as your screen shot is not of a 6 channel flac file.

What I don't understand is when you said you had a problem "uploading" it. Does the OP have a label account/or represent the artist? If so and he is authorized to make the compilation, I'd then convert all files to FLAC 44.1k/16bit and have done with it before uploading. I upload stuff for artists I know, and if the master is in 24bit I upload in 24bit, other wise I keep in at 16bit -- all FLAC 2 channel. There is not going to be generational losses between lossless versions. So the conversion should be painless.

PS - I'm not a big metal fan, like Ferday, I'm pretty eclectic ... my BC account is the same as my login here too. Punk to electro to folk .. and country. Regardless keep indie music alive!!! support them what ever style you like :)

Soshanna

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2016, 01:28:12 pm »

Great!  \m/ shared love for the metal indeed. Well, I'm a self confessed doom metal head, stoner metal, hard rock, heavy psych kind of gal.    A little obsessive too  lol  https://bandcamp.com/loveamongruins   Thanks again for your help, seeya around.  

Arindelle

« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2016, 01:38:19 pm »

Great!  \m/ shared love for the metal indeed. Well, I'm a self confessed doom metal head, stoner metal, hard rock, heavy psych kind of gal.    A little obsessive too  lol  https://bandcamp.com/loveamongruins   Thanks again for your help, seeya around.  
woah impressed with your collection ! happy listening  :)

Soshanna

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2016, 01:39:46 pm »

Agree with Ferday ... that field is not user editable, the file is undoubtedly a 6 channel file especially with that bitrate.  I buy a lot of stuff from bandcamp and sometimes get 24bit files, but never have I seen multichannel files.

Regardless this file will playback locally if your config is set up right. You are using Direct sound plus it looks like you ar upsampling mp3s to 48khz which I don't understand why you would need or want to do that, but thats beside the point as your screen shot is not of a 6 channel flac file.

What I don't understand is when you said you had a problem "uploading" it. Does the OP have a label account/or represent the artist? If so and he is authorized to make the compilation, I'd then convert all files to FLAC 44.1k/16bit and have done with it before uploading. I upload stuff for artists I know, and if the master is in 24bit I upload in 24bit, other wise I keep in at 16bit -- all FLAC 2 channel. There is not going to be generational losses between lossless versions. So the conversion should be painless.

PS - I'm not a big metal fan, like Ferday, I'm pretty eclectic ... my BC account is the same as my login here too. Punk to electro to folk .. and country. Regardless keep indie music alive!!! support them what ever style you like :)

Hey Arindelle, thanks for chiming in   ;) I have learned one thing here today....although my love for music is my life, I need to learn more about audio path and how it all works.  I really don't understand it like I should, but I never had a problem until I tried to upload that file and now Ive opened up a big can of worms.  So Im going to call it a day....but thank you so much!!    8)

ferday

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2016, 01:45:06 pm »

Soshanna,

i have a very large metal collection on CD (i'm new-ish to bandcamp) but give me your favourite 3 doom metal records off of Bandcamp (i prefer hard doom / death doom but open to ANYTHING!) and if i don't have them i'll check them out!  i'm in a music mood today LOL

nice collection.  stop by http://www.metal-fi.com/ for some great hi-fidelity metal info

Soshanna

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2016, 01:18:38 am »

Soshanna,

i have a very large metal collection on CD (i'm new-ish to bandcamp) but give me your favourite 3 doom metal records off of Bandcamp (i prefer hard doom / death doom but open to ANYTHING!) and if i don't have them i'll check them out!  i'm in a music mood today LOL

nice collection.  stop by http://www.metal-fi.com/ for some great hi-fidelity metal info

Sorry, I didn't see this message until this evening.........

ferday, wow, I feel such a sense of responsibility here   ;)  I have so many choices I could throw at you that I love, and I will list MY 3.... but Im afraid they might not be as heavy as you may be used to.  I love heavy, dont get me wrong...the riffs, the heavier the better, but its the vocals that usually come with tunes that heavy that sometimes keep me from getting into it.  I prefer clean-ish vocals, so its hard to find a nice balance. Very hard to find, in fact so hard that I have lots of instrumentals in my collection. hah!  

So I called on a few friends of mine from my Bandcamp circle of friends to help out and this is what they had to suggest:

Graves at Sea - The Curse That Is *I hear this is highly anticipated among the death/doom community.
WOLVHAMMER - Clawing Into Black Sun *a favorite of a friend who has impeccable taste in metal and officially has the highest amount of purchases on Bandcamp from anyone.  (impressive)
Traitors Return to Earth - Smoke Screen *This comes from the guy who founded the Sludgelord Blog, says its one of his best finds on Bandcamp, ever.

and these are MY favorite doom albums from Bandcamp, but may be a little light for you, but none the less, still very good...

Tempel - s/t *My favorite find on Bandcamp in any genre....this is one of the best instrumental doom/sludge/death albums ever, imo.
Pallbearer - Foundations of Burden*My pick for album of the year 2014
Windhand - Soma *My pick for album of the year 2013

Soshanna

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2016, 01:37:09 am »

...and is this your site? 

ferday

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2016, 09:10:16 am »

Not the right forum to go so far OT, (oh, we got moved to the music forum, thanks jim)

Thanks for the recs, there are a couple I haven't got, will check out!

Metal-fi isn't mine, just some friends who are passionate about metal, and great sounding audio

Good luck with MC, it's a big program but the best of the best and great people around the forums to help out!

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2016, 10:36:16 am »

Big ups on the Pallbearer and Windhand records, they're both stellar.  I saw Pallbearer on that tour and they slayed!

Based on the company they keep, I'm going to grab that Tempel album, thanks for the recs  ;D

and these are MY favorite doom albums from Bandcamp, but may be a little light for you, but none the less, still very good...

Tempel - s/t *My favorite find on Bandcamp in any genre....this is one of the best instrumental doom/sludge/death albums ever, imo.
Pallbearer - Foundations of Burden*My pick for album of the year 2014
Windhand - Soma *My pick for album of the year 2013

Soshanna

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2016, 02:58:57 pm »

Not the right forum to go so far OT, (oh, we got moved to the music forum, thanks jim)

Thanks for the recs, there are a couple I haven't got, will check out!

Metal-fi isn't mine, just some friends who are passionate about metal, and great sounding audio

Good luck with MC, it's a big program but the best of the best and great people around the forums to help out!

Thanks ferdey, I did a lot of messing around with MC audio today. Spent a good part of last night reading about audio path and how it works.  Holy sh*t, there is a lot involved.   ?   But I learned a lot, changed all my settings, now I have it set to WASAPI, and changed the sample rates so they stay the same, and finally unchecked the box to move center to mains.  Everything should be set right now, and the most important part, it sounds friggin' amazing! 

About the other problem, I pulled the 6 channel files out of the batch I'm trying to upload in Bandcamp and replaced them with fresh files downloading from Bandcamp.  All of them stayed 2 channel, except for one.  I tried to find something that would make it stand out as odd, and I just cant see it.  So I'm not going to worry about it anymore....I dreamed of a 6 headed monster last night.  Hah! 

On another subject, glad you liked some of the suggestions I sent your way.  Tempel is fantastic, you'll enjoy that one a lot.  Who wouldn't...its just a masterpiece in my opinion and considering there are only two guys in the band, wow just wow! By the way, are you on Facebook?  Reluctantly I am, but just for music contacts, its the best way to keep up to date on the bands I like to follow.  So many Bandcampers have found their way over there after a forum I was involved in shut down.  It was called Hard Rock Revolution and one of the members started a group on Facebook called Hard Rock Revolution and we are 300 strong.  That is where I mentioned I had met another person from Bandcamp and I also mentioned that you asked me about doom/death metal.  You wouldn't believe the response I got!  Damn, they are all such great guys, and gals, (a few anyways)  lol   But look us up if you are on thee FB.  ;)  https://www.facebook.com/groups/HardRockRevolution/

Soshanna

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2016, 03:06:05 pm »

Big ups on the Pallbearer and Windhand records, they're both stellar.  I saw Pallbearer on that tour and they slayed!

Based on the company they keep, I'm going to grab that Tempel album, thanks for the recs  ;D

Hey glad you liked the recs.....I would have loved to have made it to that tour Pallbearer did last year, but it just didn't work out for me. Next time!   8) 
Pages: [1]   Go Up