INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Use of media network functions requiring JRiver to be started with admin/sudo  (Read 2473 times)

sjhilton

• Junior Woodchuck

Hi,

I've just encountered an issue with installs of mediacenter 21 on a couple of my Ubuntu Linux VMs where media network functionality suddenly ceases to work properly. The symptoms are:
  • that other clients can't connect, but can see there is a server present
  • the linux server can't obtain a new accesskey (due to the absence of outgoing http)
  • the linux server can't see zones on clients on the LAN
  • connection through a web browser/gizmo works, but no local playback is possible (it is possible to initiate playback on the server).

If mediacenter is started with sudo then everything works properly. I think this might have been caused by a linux security update at some point, but I don't know enough about linux user privileges to diagnose exactly what has happened.

I'd prefer not to have to run mediacenter with sudo long term so I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions to fix this?

(please let me know if I've posted in the wrong forum with this one)

thanks

Stuart

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?

the linux server can't obtain a new accesskey (due to the absence of outgoing http)
That would explain other problems.  That has to work.

sjhilton

• Junior Woodchuck

Thanks Jim. I thought it might have been a firewall issue at first (either in the VM's iptables, the NAS, where the VM is being hosted or perhaps on the router), but it wasn't. All of the issues were solved by running mediacenter using sudo, which suggests to me that it's some sort of privileges issue for my local user account. It's occurred on two different VMs one using UbuntuMate and the other using vanilla Ubuntu (about three or four weeks apart), which makes me think it was caused by a security update to Ubuntu.
Pages: [1]   Go Up