INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Need help with Zones and DSP setup  (Read 3338 times)

CountryBumkin

• Citizen of the Universe
Need help with Zones and DSP setup
« on: January 30, 2016, 08:03:56 am »

I'm wanting to use the DSP Studio to customize the sound in my Family Room (Client with 7.1 AVR) and in the two Bedroom sets (two Clients, with sound TVspeakers2.0 and one with a Sound Bar 2.1).

First I created two DSP profiles to test with. "Video-DSP" which has "Output Format" set to Source, "Volume Leveling" On, and "Room Correction" set to "Center Channel +4db.

And then I created the second profile "Audio-DSP" which has "Output Format" set to Source, and "Volume Leveling" On. I then added one of these two profiles to all my audio and video files. So each file has a DSP profile tag.

On the Server computer, the per file DSP settings works fine. Audio and Video both switch to the correct DSP profile.

But on the Clients the "Player Display" window shows the file's DSP Tag as I set it, but MC doesn't seem to be using it. I'm not getting the center Chanel =5db for example. The Clients seems to use whatever setting is loaded in the Client's DSP Studio rather than the settings on the Server. BTW, I have no DSP profiles saved on the Clients.

So I'm thinking that a "per-file DSP" setup on the Server is not the correct method to do what I want.
_______________________________________________________________________________ _______________________________________________________________________________ ___________

To make this thread easier to read I'm going to stop here.
My questions are:
1) Is putting the DSP profile in the file's Tag the correct way to go if I want different DSP settings on the Clients? It looks like per-file DSP is only useful if you just have one computer.

2) Should I be looking at setting up Zones (Family Room, Client1, Client 2) instead. And then setting up different Audio DSP and a Video DSP for each Zone? Or can I still use the "per-file DSP tag" and just make them different depending on the Zone?

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
Re: Need help with Zones and DSP setup
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2016, 08:14:34 am »

DSP settings and zones are local to the computer they're created on, so there's no way to do what you want with DSP presets (unless maybe if you re-create them on the clients as well, but I'm not sure that would work). But DSP per file is a suboptimal way to do what you want, the "right" way to do it is with zones and zoneswitch.  The key to the approach is recognizing that a "zone" in JRiver is just a set of saved settings that can be switched based on rules, it doesn't necessarily need to correspond to a physical zone.  

So you make an audio and video zone on each machine, configure zoneswitch to switch based on media type, and you're done forever.   Clients will switch appropriately when starting local playback, etc.  It gets slightly more complicated if you're trying to control several physical zones from one machine, but this approach can work in that context too, it just takes extra configuration.

CountryBumkin

Re: Need help with Zones and DSP setup
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2016, 03:14:35 pm »

Thanks for replying. I understand what I need to do now.
Pages: [1]   Go Up