INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: alternative to mini-me  (Read 2911 times)

gkerber

alternative to mini-me
« on: April 27, 2003, 08:34:11 pm »

Here is an alternative idea to even using mini-me.  I just found  some small icons and added them to my QuickLaunch menu on the windows toolbar.

I added these commands to the buttons.

mjextman.exe /Command Previous      // (previous track)
mjextman.exe /Command Pause          // (pause/play)
mjextman.exe /Command Next            // (next track)

Now I have acces to the basic player controls ALL the time, no matter what is on my desktop.  Simple idea.  I have no idea if everyone does this or not......

sraymond

Re: alternative to mini-me
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2003, 09:09:11 pm »

Not too bad a solution, but Windows XP (and perhaps other OSes) has a much more elegant solution to this:  toolbars!

I often wonder why the little "eye candy" things don't get done sooner.  Granted, I have no idea what it takes to make a "toolbar", but I'd think if nplayer and WMP can do it, why not JRiver?

Scott-

sraymond

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2003, 09:10:32 pm »

And to be technical, the "Quick launch" is just another toolbar - like the language, address, and links toolbars.

Scott-

NoCodeUK

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2003, 01:42:58 am »

A nice quick and dirty way to make a toolbar to do this would be to creat e anew folder somewhere containg the icons you want for the player with the commands set up in the shortcuts.  Then simply right click on the taskbar and tell WinXP you want to create a toolbar based on this folder.  A slight bit of reordering may be necessary but voila you have full control over MC from the toolbar...  Unfortunately this will not show any details of track time/elapsed etc.  This i do not know how to do :)

Adam
"It's called No Code because it's full of code. It's misinformation." - Eddie Vedder

whoeveryouare

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2003, 01:47:32 am »

I have no idea if everyone does this or not......

Uhh...  NO!  Where are CL parms like this even documented?

fex

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2003, 02:31:00 am »

Nila,

Media Jukebox mini-me skin shown here:

Here's my favorite thin mini-me skins for use across the top or bottom of the screen...these are from 2+ years ago.  Just rollup the main window and playlist window and close the eq window...place main and playlist windows edge-to-edge.   ;D

Update:
If MC9 screws up and doesn't restore the mini-me playlist state and position properly...close the playlist window and use the main mini-me window to re-open the playlist window, then rollup the playlist window and re-position...eventually MC9 got it right and remembered the playlist state (rolled up) and position.

This could be an alternative, found in
http://www.musicex.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=beta;action=display;num=1049400411

NoCodeUK

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2003, 03:16:43 am »

whoeveryouare,

Here is the link to the commands list.  http://ftp://ftp.jriver.com/pub/downloads/music/tmp/MCCommands.h

Adam
"It's called No Code because it's full of code. It's misinformation." - Eddie Vedder

gkerber

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2003, 07:30:56 am »

Here is Here is a like to a less technical mjextman description

http://www.musicex.com/mediajukebox/DevZone/CommandLine.html

Kurt Young

• Tastes like crab, talks like people.
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2003, 07:45:56 am »

Ahh, mjextman.exe commands are cool!

I wonder how often new ones are added?  ;) ;) ;D
 mjextman.exe /ipodsync

sraymond

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2003, 08:22:03 am »

Mini-me is nice - but requires MC to be running all the time - not something that everyone does.

mjextman.exe is functinoal, but it doesn't provide the eye candy people have come to expect.

"real" toolbars are elegant.  This is nplayer:

Again, it's the little things that can make a product stand out.

Just my 2.5 cents (adjusted for inflation!).

Scott-

nila

« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2003, 12:20:13 am »

Nice looking pic sraymond :)

LisaRCT

« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2003, 06:38:04 am »

I believe this thread has the solution you seek.

http://www.musicex.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=MediaCenter;action=display;num=1061631291

It is a simple "do it yourself" kit for the Taskbar controls you describe, complete with icons and commands. Also it can be 'prettied-up' if you prefer other icons.

sraymond

« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2003, 08:00:45 am »

I believe this thread has the solution you seek.

Lisa,

The thread you're referencing is not the same thing I'm talking about...  its just about making a toolbar to aggregate static options (which, don't get me wrong, is a great benefit!)  Rather than try to explain again what n.player does (if the picture of the n.player bar didn't do it justice), perhaps you might take a look at it - it's free (if I remember correctly) and quite "light".  It's homepage is http://www.samo.cz/nplayer/ .

I brought this topic up quite some time ago...  and as NoCodeUK said about homemade toolbars:
Unfortunately this will not show any details of track time/elapsed etc.  This i do not know how to do

And nor will it give you dynamic items.  For example, n.player replaces the "play" icon (when nothing is playing) with both a "pause" and a "stop" icon when something is playing.  And there are "hover" effects as well.

I know...  this clearly falls under the heading of "eye candy", but it's also quite functional as well.  And if "little" n.player can do it, I had thought it might be easy.

If JRiver isn't interested in adding this functionality, perhaps it's possible to write a plugin...  I'd pay $5 for it :-)

Scott-

LisaRCT

« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2003, 08:17:22 am »

"Ah, I see" said the blind man
(an old expression my dad use to say)

OK I get cha.
Well sounds like for ace programmers like the JRiver team that should be 'cake', but they are apparently quite busy and somewhat 'under the gun' (additionally, when you add up all teh 'little' requests it becomes a major task to even try to keep up).
A 'plug-in' may be the answer.
$5 going once . . . .  going twice . . . do I hear $5.50 ?
Pages: [1]   Go Up