INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC 21 is hijacking my data files!  (Read 2393 times)

w.sachse

• Recent member
MC 21 is hijacking my data files!
« on: February 03, 2016, 10:11:05 pm »

Forgive me, I'm a new user and I purchased MC 21 last week wich I managed to install after considerable struggles with trying to move my Playlists from MC 19 which I had running on my laptop for the 30-day trial period.
While I very much like that MC21 is finding all my music files (near 100 GBytes) I'm aghast that it's hijacking all my image and video files also! The default program that opens these files is now Media Center! I don't like that at all and I don't recall giving MC21 permission to take over those files. The symbol on the filename is the MC emblem and the default program that opens it is Media Center! This is not good! How can I keep MC 21 from taking over my video and image files that reside on my laptop? Worse, I can't seem to reverse this by going into `Properties' when I right-click on the file and returning the file to the original program. Bad! Thanks.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: MC 21 is hijacking my data files!
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2016, 12:15:46 am »

In MC "Options\File Types" make sure that the file types you want to be opened with other programs have the Playback Method set to Automatic.

Then in Windows, go to "Control Panel\Programs\Default Programs\Set Associations" and change the default program for each file type.

You did tell MC to "Hijack" all your image and video file if you just ran an Express MC installation, because that type of installation does assign MC to lots of file types. If you had done a Custom installation you could have controlled which file types MC would open by default.

While you are thinking about this, in MC go into Tools\Import\Configure Auto-Import, select each folder location you are watching, click Edit, and check which file types MC will import for each of those locations. If MC is importing files into its database that you don't want it to, that is the place to fix the problem.

BTW, transferring your Playlist from MC19 to MC21 should have been as easy as making a backup of your MC19 library, installing MC21, and restoring the MC19 backup into MC21. Done. If you had asked someone may have saved you a lot of time and angst. Or of course, you could have search the Forum and/or Wiki, as there is lots of good information in both.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

RussellS

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2016, 02:07:38 am »

Even the express installation asks you which file types you want to be opened by MC as default.

If you go to 'Tools --> Options --> File Types' you will see a list of all the file types and you can turn on or off the file association.

As already said, check the 'Auto Import' folders to make sure that the correct folders are listed and they are set to import the correct types of files.

Arindelle

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2016, 03:28:59 am »

or easier yet, if you already configured version 19. Load v19, backup the JR library file. Close it. Open v21 ... restore the v19 backup. All settings and playlists, and views will be ported over automatically. Its usually better to go from 19 to 20 and then from 20 to v21. But most things should port over without issue. (located in File=>Library from the top menu).

w.sachse

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2016, 11:30:36 am »

Thanks for the fix. That did it.
As to the migration problem, I couldn't find the simple description for correctly migrating my playlists. But a friend wrote to me and provided it and I did it. So now I'm pretty happy. Thanks to all. . . .w.
Pages: [1]   Go Up