INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Corrupted installation  (Read 3271 times)

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Corrupted installation
« on: February 12, 2016, 10:15:56 pm »

After upgrading to 21.0.48, I can't seem to get MC to work any more.  I've tried removing the Media Center 21 directory repeatedly.  I've installed v45 and v06 several times and tried to license each one.  v06 seemed to license, but then just hung like the others.

I'm not sure what to do to get this working again.

Brian.

blgentry

Re: Corrupted installation
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2016, 10:49:19 pm »

Well... I did what you never ever need to do on a Mac and it seems to have fixed things.  I rebooted.

I've got 21.0.45 installed and mostly working now.  I'm going to configure it a bit and then go to bed.  I'll report more tomorrow.

Brian.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2016, 11:32:00 pm »

Hah. That wasn't going to be my suggestion!

Did it come back with your Library intact and everything, or did you have to restore from a backup? Of course, even if you did need to restore, that could have been from you hacking about (I don't know what you did, but my suggestion was going to be to systematically delete/rename the Settings files and folders MC uses in your Application Support directories).

I suspect it wasn't the licensing at all, or even a corrupt install or settings or whatever, but something else entirely. Since a reboot fixed it, I think the OS "burped" (some system process somewhere crashed, probably a component of the audio or graphics stack). Then MC couldn't launch because it would hang when calling up that OS process. It's possible MC itself triggered the crash, but it'd be nice to see if it was repeatable.

I'm still not having any issues with the current build... So?  :-\
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2016, 11:36:49 pm »

Worth noting, you don't need to reconfigure it by hand. You should have Library Backups. It makes them automatically, and they include your settings and whatnot.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

blgentry

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2016, 08:44:36 am »

Library didn't come back on it's own.  But that's because I had deleted the Media Center 21 directory (from ~/Library/App...../).  I had tried restoring that directory (with Time Machine), but MC still wouldn't launch.  All of this prior to rebooting.

The reason I thought the library was corrupted was because MC made a new directory called "Read Only Library" in the Media Center 21 directory.  I'm not sure what happened.

After I got it all working again, I restored my Library from a backup made about 24 hours ago.  I found that it was missing a few things:  It was missing one of my zones, that I had to rebuild by hand.  But I *also* had an accident yesterday where pressing the delete key deleted that zone.  So that's probably why the zone was gone.  Actually, now that I think of it, it was also missing a 3rd zone I use that I had to rebuild.  Strangely, I also found that it reverted my "Customize Display" settings for Standard View.  I had to cut and paste those from notes I had made.

Otherwise, I don't think I lost anything, other than some library stuff that I did between library backup and library disaster.  When I'm more awake, I'm probably going to install V48 again and see what happens.

Brian.
Pages: [1]   Go Up