INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Volume Settings  (Read 6250 times)

tess

• Recent member
Volume Settings
« on: February 13, 2016, 08:16:19 am »

Hi there. Please Help me, as I now have an Audioengine D1  and  Audioengine A2+ Speakers . I would like some advice on volume settings to use in jriver. I have read lots, but still can't really understand.
What do I put the jriver volume slider to when using the headphone amplifier in my D1. Should system volume be ticked? Also, should the slider go all the way up...or halfway?
Anyone who knows my set up will realise that the Audioengine D1 has a volume control. JRiver has one..and my speakers also have one. And I just don't know what to do for the correct set up. I am not that technical with all the jargon...so please be patient with me. Should the jriver volume slider be set all the way up..and then control the volume by way of the D1? and then what about the Audioengine speakers volume control??
Please, Please help me...as I absolutely love JRiver 21 and I want to get it right.
Thank you so much.
Tess.
PS. I am using a Windows 10 64bit PC

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Volume Settings
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2016, 09:27:03 am »

I'm going to assume for the moment that you don't want window system sounds or other "on demand" audio to do through your D1.  I'm going to assume *just* JRiver MC is going to use the D1.  In that case I recommend the following:

1.  Set MC's Volume Mode to Internal.
2.  Put MC's Volume slider at 100%
3.  Set the volume on your powered speakers to a level that's about as loud as you will ever want to play them.  This is probably around 60 to 75% of the way up on the dial.  You'll have to experiment to find this exact setting.  Initially, I'd recommend that you set the speaker's volume to something like 20%.  Move it up as you figure out how hard the D1 drives the speakers.  You'll probably find that the 60 - 75% figure above is about right for "full volume" with the D1 also set to around 75%.  Most analog volume controls are designed to reach full output, with average program material, at 75% on the dial.
4.  Use the D1's volume control for both headphones and speakers.  Plugging in headphones will mute the speakers (because it's mutes the RCA outputs).  Be careful when unplugging the headphones, so you don't blast yourself with the speakers!

5.  (Maybe).  I'm not sure if you have to set System Volume in windows for this device to 100%, but you probably do.  Move the slider (in windows) and see if it affects the output.  If it does, then it should be set to 100%.

Brian.

tess

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2016, 10:07:21 am »

Hi there Brian.
Thank you so very much for your response to my question. I have totally understood everything you have said.
At the moment, I have jriver audio  device set to audio device direct sound, rather than the D1 , so that I don't have to keep plugging/unplugging my sennheiser HD 598 Headphones from the socket, as I am worried that the socket on the D1 headphone amp will weaken (the headphones are new) Basically, I am only using the D1 as a headphone amplifier.
What are your ideas on this?  Would you just use the D1 as a headphone amp, or would you utilise the whole set up. IE: JRiver, D1 and Audioengine A2+ speakers.
If so, would you tell me please how you would set it all up..in case I decide to do this. And what my windows settings should be.
Ideally, I would like to make full use of my speakers and D1.
I cannot thank you enough for taking the time to help me.
Tess

blgentry

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2016, 10:24:36 am »

At the moment, I have jriver audio  device set to audio device direct sound, rather than the D1 , so that I don't have to keep plugging/unplugging my sennheiser HD 598 Headphones from the socket, as I am worried that the socket on the D1 headphone amp will weaken (the headphones are new) Basically, I am only using the D1 as a headphone amplifier.

Does this mean you have the built in sound card on your PC connected to your powered speakers?  Rather than the RCA outputs of the D1?

What are your ideas on this?  Would you just use the D1 as a headphone amp, or would you utilise the whole set up. IE: JRiver, D1 and Audioengine A2+ speakers.

I think I would probably use the D1 to send audio to both the headphones and the speakers.  But you say you're concerned about the headphone jack.  Only you can decide that one.  I like having a hardware volume control like the D1 has.

That being said, on my system, I have an external DAC and an internal sound card.  I use the DAC to drive headphones and the internal card to drive speakers.  I have two separate zones I use to send to either one based on what I'm doing.  It's neat, but it's actually inconvenient because I can't easily switch from speakers to headphones.  I have to move songs from zone to zone to do so.

Brian.

tess

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2016, 11:14:07 am »

In answer to your question.Does this mean you have the built in sound card on your PC connected to your powered speakers?  Rather than the RCA outputs of the D1?. I suppose that is the case. The RCA leads are going from the speakers to a blueray player. The speakers are going via usb to my computer. The reason for this was so that everything was accessible...and I don't have to plug/unplug my headphones...just turn the D1 power light off.
I did try the toslink connected to my blueray player from the D1, and the RCA leads connected to the D1...trouble with that was, that I had to keep taking the usb cable out of the ac adaptor and plug back into the pc in order to see and hear my music.
I don't feel that I am utilizing my DAC properly though, as was intended. Although, I seem to be utilizing the headphone amplifier correctly. At least, I think so.!
Not sure what to do really.
Tess

blgentry

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2016, 11:20:58 am »

I just looked up the A2+ speakers.  I wasn't familiar with them.  They have their own DAC built in.  That's why you have a USB cable running to them.

So you have 2 DACs.  The one in the D1 and the one in the A2+.  There's nothing wrong with using both.

Is there something you want the setup to do differently than it does now?

Brian.

tess

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2016, 12:18:12 pm »

No, not really Brian. It's just a matter, I suppose, of either sending all the audio via the D1 (including Speakers) and setting the volume levels etc..as you so kindly explained to me...and having to plug/unplug the headphones each time. Or just use the D1 for my headphones (amp). I am assuming that whichever way I decide to do it, that the  volume settings you told me about would apply..no matter which I decided on.

tess

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2016, 12:20:37 pm »

It sounds like you have your set up similar to mine. Am I correct?
Tess

blgentry

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2016, 03:15:39 pm »

...and having to plug/unplug the headphones each time. Or just use the D1 for my headphones (amp). I am assuming that whichever way I decide to do it, that the  volume settings you told me about would apply..no matter which I decided on.

If you choose to use the DAC built in to the A2+s, you'll need some way of controlling the volume to them.  MC's Internal volume control is probably a really good choice for that.  So you'd set your A2+ volume to as high as you ever want to go, then use MC's volume to control from there.

If instead you use the D1, you'll always have a knob to turn to control the volume.  That's my preference, but it might not work for you.

It sounds like you have your set up similar to mine. Am I correct?

Sort of similar.  My speakers don't have a DAC, but I'm using the internal sound card in my system to run just those speakers, so it's close enough to your situation. 

Brian.

tess

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2016, 07:03:07 pm »

Thank you so very much for all your help. It's much appreciated. I got so fed up trowling google for answers, and not really getting anywhere. You have been a godsend.
I will certainly let you know how I get on.
once again...thank you.
Tess
Pages: [1]   Go Up