INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Questions about EQ and Dither  (Read 2150 times)

PrinterPrinter

• World Citizen
Questions about EQ and Dither
« on: February 17, 2016, 05:46:12 am »

Hello Chaps,
I'm using MC on RPI and love it.

I have set up some EQ filter (used REW to get them) to tame my sub. My set up is pre-amp-less - so the RPI goes directly to the Yggy and then to a power-amp and I use a pair of inline attenuators as well as MC's internal volume to control the volume. Because the attenuators are pretty aggressive and I also use volume levelling - which usually reduces the volume by around 10db I often find myself playing at 100 volume and could use some flexibility.
So I added another PEQ filter after the 'bass PEQ' that just boost volume by 3dB and gives me more flexibility. My question is does this impact or degrade quality in any way and is it best to boost the volume before the PEQ does it's bass things? I suspect hat because it's all done in software it's basically math and doesn't matter to SQ but I want to do it right.

Lastly a theoretical question about dither, I'm happy with the two dither modes and been using TPDF since it became available.
Incidentally I saw a discussion about the Schiit Yggy DAC which I use that's an R2R DAC and apparently adds it's own dither at some stage,
I also remember seeing that you should't dither twice... My question is can I turn off dither in MC if the DAC does it? You should dither when you reduce word length however my signal path says 'direct connection 32bits' - so there's no reduction of word length within MC or does PEQ requires dither?

Please share your thoughts,
Thank you.

PrinterPrinter

• World Citizen
Re: Questions about EQ and Dither
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2016, 04:37:38 am »

Anyone?
Pages: [1]   Go Up