INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Question on the New Tagging Window  (Read 2702 times)

Arindelle

• Citizen of the Universe
Question on the New Tagging Window
« on: February 18, 2016, 07:36:55 am »

Hey all

Just a quick one, have a lot of love for the new tagging window. Just one thing I don't get

For info most of my tagging is done on a client; and changed my workflow around so the general tab is all I need for 90% of all my tagging

The other tag organization I use occasionally, but when I need it I get to where I want to go quickly. So all's fine.

BUT one of the cool things is the reduced screen real estate required. No matter what I have tried my "General", "File" and "Image" tabs open up. Now I can close these down, but once I reinvoke the window (either via the icon or ALT+Enter) the three categories open up again.

I thought maybe it has to do with the server (like it opens up on "last state"), but no all three open. Closing donw another "tab" like my Classical one or Playback -- they do not stick open.

Not saying this is a bug, maybe its by design and some of the fields I moved out of general will force the other categoreis to open? If thats the case I suppose I could nuke the three and create custom ones, but sort of doubt it.

How does this actually work?? thanks

HPBEME

• MC Beta Team
  • 1 petard hoisting down, 3 to go - Lock him up!!!
Re: Question on the New Tagging Window
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2016, 11:23:12 pm »

I had the same problem initially - various tag groups were expanded while others were collapsed by default.  When I changed tabs, or selected a different file, or even closed MC altogether, the same tag groups would expand/collapse without any input from me - definitely not ideal behavior. 

But somewhere along the line it just stopped doing it.  It now remembers only those tag groups I specifically set to be expanded or collapsed... and it holds while navigating thru tabs, files, etc.  It even remembers after closing and reopening MC.  It probably started functioning "correctly" after a reboot, but I am not sure.  Keeping my fingers crossed it continues to behave as it is currently.

All that being said, I absolutely LOVE LOVE LOVE the new tag groups approach - brilliant work by the folks at JRiver.. well done!

Arindelle

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2016, 03:11:41 am »

hey thanks for replying ... I found that it does remember "last closed" state withing a session. But retarting on a client always expands the same 3 tabs (named General, File, and Image). I tried it from the server machine thinking it might be like a modified view for clients, and even if I set it to only expand 1 all three open. If I expand temporarily another tab, and then close it it does not expand.

Wonder why this got sorted for you, HPBME, and persists for me?

HPBEME

• MC Beta Team
  • 1 petard hoisting down, 3 to go - Lock him up!!!
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2016, 09:54:43 am »

Perhaps the primary difference is that you are using a client-server setup, where as I just have a plain vanilla single computer? I have never setup a client-server with MC, or with any application for that matter, so I have no knowledge in that area or useful advice to offer.   Maybe do a full uninstall to clear the registry, and then re-installing?  Take that cheap advice FWIW, but who knows, its pretty quick and painless (as long as you back up of course!) and may solve the issue.

Hopefully this gets resolved soon for you (and others most likely), as for my money, this is the best enhancement JRiver has made in some time... again, IMHO.  I do have a couple of "too easy" ideas to tweak its ease of use, but since they just added this feature, I figure they will be evolving it for the next few months without any need for input from me!

ferday

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2016, 06:15:13 am »

i love the new tagging window

arindelle, i have the exact same thing, i'm just running a standalone MC right now so no client.  mine is persistent even within a single session however

it's only a minor thing but since you brought it up i'll get in

AlanDistro

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2016, 09:55:47 am »

What/where is the new tagging window? All I see is the usual Alt+Enter tag window.

blgentry

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2016, 10:20:19 am »

^ Go to Edit > Tag .  But before you click on Tag, press the shift button on your keyboard.  Now you'll see the new "experimental tag action window" (ETAW).  You'll keep seeing that for tagging until you do <shfit>Tag again, then the original will come back.

Brian.

AlanDistro

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2016, 01:43:26 pm »

Cool, thank you.
Pages: [1]   Go Up