INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Installation Routine  (Read 1075 times)

canaro99

• World Citizen
Installation Routine
« on: August 22, 2003, 02:12:15 pm »

JimH,

Just a quick note on something I haven't seen commented on before:

It's a small item but I appreciate the default "I Agree" on your licensing agreement. I know it's needed but defaulting to "I Disagree" by nearly every other software program strikes me as stupid: "Like, I thought I'd buy 'this program,' disagree with the license and install it anyway."

MC9 is making great strides and your crew is to be complimented.

Thank you,

John
Thank you,

John

shock

• Recent member
  • I groove in stereo ...
Re: Installation Routine
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2003, 03:43:46 pm »

This is a good point, John.  I've thought about it everytime I've installed a beta.  I really appreciate the default "I agree".  It's a great and yet obviously simple move.

One thing I'd like to see is the default window for adding icons change.  Right now, the default is something like 'Add to Start Menu' and 'Add to Desktop' but not 'Add to Quick Launch'.  I'd like to see the default be the equivalent of "Add to Nothing".  Then I can check what I want.  JMO, and I'm sure I'm in the minority on this.

MC just keeps getting better and better.  I'd say I'm a 99% happy camper, and that's saying a helluva lot.

Great job, guys!
shock

jleerigby

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2003, 03:49:38 pm »

JimH,

Just a quick note on something I haven't seen commented on before:

It's a small item but I appreciate the default "I Agree" on your licensing agreement. I know it's needed but defaulting to "I Disagree" by nearly every other software program strikes me as stupid: "Like, I thought I'd buy 'this program,' disagree with the license and install it anyway."

MC9 is making great strides and your crew is to be complimented.

Thank you,

John

By defaulting to 'I agree' it could be argued that the user has not 'agreed' but merely hit enter a few times in succession and accepted by mistake in which case it could be argued (in court) that they had not agreed.  In which case there would be no point in having the licence agrement step in the install.

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2003, 01:07:00 pm »

It's certainly better than those software packages that say "By opening this package you agree to abide by the enclosed license agreement."

I used to love that.

What I'd like is for the Auto Install to remember the settings we chose last time. I've moved my Start Menu icons into a subfolder, and I don't like Desktop icons. So if I can't use Express install, and thus, Auto Install without then cleaning up an icon mess. :P
Pages: [1]   Go Up