INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Main Library - RENAME Command  (Read 2816 times)

emovac

• Recent member
Main Library - RENAME Command
« on: February 22, 2016, 08:03:43 pm »

I had issues with my Main Library, and it disappeared, but I was able to rename a clone "Main Library 2", restoring a backup.   My incapacitated Main Library was renamed "Main Library Corrupt"  

I have the MAC version, 21.0.50 loaded.

Now I have been able to revive Main Library Corrupt, and I would like to delete the word "CORRUPT" but the rename button will not take action.  Any ideas or workarounds.....thanks.

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Main Library - RENAME Command
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2016, 08:15:03 pm »

I've had some really odd stuff happen with Library names in MC21 for Mac.  I've gotten names that are totally "stuck" and can't be renamed.  I've also gotten libraries that I can't seem to delete.  Though, usually, if you switch to another library first, you can then delete the library that is no longer active.  I don't think MC likes trying to delete the active library.

It's been a month or so since I last had to do this.  I think I ended up having to restore the INI files for MC in order to get my library names back to correct and remove the library name that just couldn't be renamed.

Sorry I can't be more specific.  This has happened a few times but I didn't take notes while I was diagnosing and fixing it.

Brian.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2016, 08:43:19 pm »

I don't think MC likes trying to delete the active library

You cannot delete the currently active Library. If the UI lets you, it shouldn't, because it isn't reliable. MC does not run without a Library loaded, so deleting the current library out "from under it" while it is running is a Very Bad Idea. You can Clear it, but not delete it. To delete a Library, you must load another one first.

And, you also can't delete the original default Library at all (that's always reserved as a "fallback location"). Not without some trickery, at least, which is best left unexplored.

Renaming Libraries should work, but I'd probably make it non-active first, even if that isn't absolutely required.

In any case, if all else fails, simply:
1. make a backup
2. add a new Library to MC where you want it on disk and with the proper name
3. restore your backup (Library Only) into this new one
4. then delete the old one
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

emovac

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2016, 01:04:35 pm »

You cannot delete the currently active Library. If the UI lets you, it shouldn't, because it isn't reliable. MC does not run without a Library loaded, so deleting the current library out "from under it" while it is running is a Very Bad Idea. You can Clear it, but not delete it. To delete a Library, you must load another one first.

And, you also can't delete the original default Library at all (that's always reserved as a "fallback location"). Not without some trickery, at least, which is best left unexplored.

Renaming Libraries should work, but I'd probably make it non-active first, even if that isn't absolutely required.

In any case, if all else fails, simply:
1. make a backup
2. add a new Library to MC where you want it on disk and with the proper name
3. restore your backup (Library Only) into this new one
4. then delete the old one

Thanks for the replies.  This is where I'm at (Blue bolded text)....the original library has been renamed, and I was only able to do so because the library was inactive.  Can I delete the MAIN LIBRARY?  (which is named Main Library Corrupt)

EDIT:  I added the new library and named it MAIN Library (caps on the first word to differentiate it) and loaded a backup from a week ago....successful restore of that library AND the other ones (Main Library Corrupt and Main Library 2) disappeared without any other action on my part.

Thanks again......
Pages: [1]   Go Up