INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Anyone running GTX960 and HEVC at 4k?  (Read 21690 times)

Wungun

• World Citizen
Anyone running GTX960 and HEVC at 4k?
« on: February 22, 2016, 08:16:00 pm »

With hardware decoding for HEVC, I'd expect more. My issues seems rather intermittent.  Sometimes playback at 4K x265 is incredible. Other times it plays as jittery as anything!
Tried RO and RO HQ and custom using the latest LAV filters and MadvR renderer. Previously, custom setting worked great but nothing seems to work now.  I've tried at least a dozen nVidia drivers.
Anyone have a working solution?
Is there someting jriver is doing here?

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Anyone running GTX960 and HEVC at 4k?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2016, 05:00:18 pm »

Good question. I am thinking about finally getting a GTX 960 very soon, probably an MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4GB. It would be disappointing if it couldn't play x265 well.

Which graphics card, Brand and Model, are you using?

As the problem is intermittent, check any files that are jittery and see if you can identify a pattern to those files. I don't have any 4K video at the moment, so can't compare, but look for attributes like frame rate, format, audio, etc. to see if any one type of file gives you trouble.

Also, the latest LAV filters and madVR are currently being updated to support 3D playback, so if you have been testing with the nightly builds you may see some anomalies. Using the latest public builds is best.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

Wungun

• World Citizen
Re: Re: Anyone running GTX960 and HEVC at 4k?
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2016, 05:12:10 pm »

Good question. I am thinking about finally getting a GTX 960 very soon, probably an MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4GB. It would be disappointing if it couldn't play x265 well.

Which graphics card, Brand and Model, are you using?

As the problem is intermittent, check any files that are jittery and see if you can identify a pattern to those files. I don't have any 4K video at the moment, so can't compare, but look for attributes like frame rate, format, audio, etc. to see if any one type of file gives you trouble.

Also, the latest LAV filters and madVR are currently being updated to support 3D playback, so if you have been testing with the nightly builds you may see some anomalies. Using the latest public builds is best.

I doubt it has anything to do with make... They are all reference design and
 I use drivers straight from nVidia.
As far as the video files, the intermittent issue is with the SAME files. I have a handful of 4k demos and sometime they play awesome, but other times at what seems like 12fps. And in fact, I haven't had any success at all recently with playback.
It looks like JRiver or Windows or the drivers are bypassing the hardware decoding altogether and just trying to do it in software. With that said, nVidia drivers are nuts! Since before Win10 was released. They only seem to care about gaming performance.
LAV filters were only recently updated. Prior, I installed then separately from what jriver installs/uses and had some success that way.
If there was a driver that worked, I dunno which one it was.... And it had many OTHER issues beside playback.
Very frustrating.
If AMD releases a video card with hardware decoding for X265 I'm buying it!

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
Re: Anyone running GTX960 and HEVC at 4k?
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2016, 05:45:13 pm »

You have had to set LAV Filters manually to decode HEVC until the latest builds where it is now the default.

To do this in JRiver, you need to set video mode to Custom, choose Red October HQ (if you want to use madVR), and then choose LAV Filters as the video decoder. Go into the LAV Filter Properties and check HEVC and UHD (4K) under Codecs for HW Decoding.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
Re: Re: Anyone running GTX960 and HEVC at 4k?
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2016, 06:45:16 pm »

I doubt it has anything to do with make... They are all reference design and I use drivers straight from nVidia.

I was more just interested in which hardware you selected, just for my own information. There is a performance difference between different brands of GTX 960 according to lots of reviews I have read, but not much. I am more interested in how quiet, cool, and power efficient they are, in addition to capabilities such HDMI 2.0, HDCP 2.2, etc., which are the reasons I am going with a GTX 960 and not a more powerful card.

If AMD releases a video card with hardware decoding for X265 I'm buying it!

I run an old AMD/ATI card in my workstation/MC Client now, but Hendrik and others are saying that nVidia is still the best choice for a HTPC at the moment. Besides, AMD can still be a bit of a power hog, and a cooker, by all reports.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

Wungun

• World Citizen
Re:
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2016, 06:54:11 pm »

I'm all over the settings. Lol
I've tried with and without MadVR, custom with LAV and RO HQ and standard.
My card is the EVGA model, not the OC ones. It runs very quiet... Fan rarely ever become audible with video playback (haven't gamed on it). Dunno if this is good (heat) bit it suits a HTPC like mine, with all the components on the outside of the custom chassis.
Power consumption is lower than my Radeon in my desktop PC.

Wungun

• World Citizen
Re:
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2016, 02:13:02 pm »

Dropped back to an older driver... Have nice playback at 1080p...smooth. Optimized MadVR for quality.

NOW, playing media at 1080p 50fps I'm comparing my Red October HQ to the built in Plex app on my Samsung 4k TV.
Played thru JR, it looks softer and DEFINITELY not 50fps. Thru Plex, smoothness and sharpness are incredible! Easily discernible.
Does JR have 50fps playback issues? It's almost night and day.

I'm using HDMI 2.0 so it's 60hz. Dropped down to RO standard thinking it maybe my hardware.... Nope. Output isn't being bottlenecked....
Dissatisfied...
Pages: [1]   Go Up