INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to deal with volume differences between live TV and stored movies/tv shows?  (Read 1247 times)

CountryBumkin

• Citizen of the Universe

I have run the audio analyzer on all my videos (movies and tv shows) and I have "Volume Leveling" turned on. I have Volume set to "Internal". This works nicely switching between movies and recorded tv shows. The volume level is consistent between tv shows and movies.

But if I go from a recorded tv show or a movie, to "Live TV" the volume goes very loud. I assume this is because the there is no way for MC to apply Volume Leveling to Live TV.

So - Is the best way to keep these volume levels in the same range, maybe to apply Room Correction (to my ripped Movies and recorded tv shows) where I then increase the volume (for example +5db on all speakers) and apply that to each tv show/movie (apply DSP per file) so they are all louder, and then hopefully match closer the volume I get with live TV?

Or is there another or better way?

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team

I still haven't used Zones much so I'm no expert, but...

Couldn't you set up a Zone with a reduced starting volume, and then have a Zone Switch rule for live TV? I don't know if that is possible, but it would be worth investigating.

I don't like the idea of your suggestion at all, since it requires overriding the Audio Analysis settings manually for all your stored media. Too much ongoing work. I think there was agreement in another thread recently that using Zones is a far better option than using DSP per file.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

CountryBumkin

"Zones" sounds like a good idea.
 I have not used Zones yet - but I think that I would  setup a Zone on each TV (each MC computer) so when I switch from movie or tv show to live TV it would apply a different DSP (one with lower volume).
Pages: [1]   Go Up