INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Avoid ripping duplicates.  (Read 3123 times)

dswaggs

• Recent member
Avoid ripping duplicates.
« on: February 28, 2016, 09:19:06 am »

I've looked for this setting and searched the posts but haven't found the answer; I have over 3,000 CD's to rip and I do have some of them burned to backup discs for taking in the car. In Windows Media, when I was in the ripping section, it would check mark all of the songs whenever I loaded a CD that I had already ripped and the rip button would grey out. Surely there has to be a way to avoid ripping duplicates? There's no way I am going to remember every CD I've ripped and would really like to avoid duplicates. Maybe I've looked past the setting but any help would be great. I'm sure you can do a search and delete duplicates but as time consuming as ripping is, why burn up the extra time ripping them in the first place?

Thanks for the help,
Duane

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Avoid ripping duplicates.
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2016, 09:28:00 am »

How about a search before you rip a new CD?  Type in some of the album name and see what you already have in your library.   Or use a Panes view that alphabetically lists all of your albums and look to see if you already have it in the library.  Or print out a list of your albums alphabetically and flip through the list.

3000 is definitely a lot of albums, but the above techniques seem simple enough to use. 

Brian.

AndyU

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2016, 10:57:13 am »

There's a tag called UPC - Universal Product Code - which is the US retail code for the CD and should be unique. If JRiver sees it (dBpoweramp seems to), then that would be a good tag to check with.

dswaggs

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2016, 11:35:30 am »

How about a search before you rip a new CD?  Type in some of the album name and see what you already have in your library.   Or use a Panes view that alphabetically lists all of your albums and look to see if you already have it in the library.  Or print out a list of your albums alphabetically and flip through the list.

3000 is definitely a lot of albums, but the above techniques seem simple enough to use. 

Brian.

I suppose connecting a second monitor that displays a breakdown of the files could be used to look it up. The most simple method would be for the software to do what windows does and display a message that says "this file already exists, do you want to replace it". Guys, with all of the crazy features this software has, I can't believe this isn't a standard feature.

ejtec

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2018, 03:51:11 pm »

No one really answered his question, Doesn't anyone a simple way to keep JRiver from duplicating CDs?
Pages: [1]   Go Up