INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC20 unable to create library  (Read 9430 times)

Hawaii

• Recent member
MC20 unable to create library
« on: March 02, 2016, 05:56:00 am »

I suspect I am missing out a very basic point but after reading volumes, I am no better off and any help would be gratefully received. There are a number of issues but for now the inability to create a new library reading off my USB hard drive is hurting most as i need this for when i am not connected to NAS.
I am on MC20 v132 for Mac. I already have a library that connects to my NAS hard drive. I am trying to create another library reading the same copied music from my new USB 4T drive. i tried importing but that would only add to my existing library. I tried to add library and I get message 'Cannot create new Library at specified location. The directory must be empty'.  Am I missing a vital step somewhere?

I have been running the MC app off my NAS with 800Gb of music through my wireless router. This has been temperamental as the application would lag due to long buffeting interruptions and then require a restart.
 :'( :'(

Arindelle

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: MC20 unable to create library
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2016, 06:24:23 am »

where are you browsing to? The Filepath has to be empty. This is not the "path" of your media files themselves.

for example the default "Main" Library is at C:\Users\S\AppData\Roaming\J River\Media Center 21\Library

you could put it in a created C:\Users\S\AppData\Roaming\J River\Media Center 21\ExtDrive Library for example or wherever you want. I find it better to keep it on the system SSD drive for speed though. But I don't think you have to.

I'd uncheck the Import the run import on empty libraries option. Configure your autoimport config, watched folders to the external drive path and then run a manual full import (autoimport).

You should be good to go with the new library containing just whats on the external drive. You probably should check that the library backups for your 2 libraries don't write to the same directory though

I'd recommend not tagging on the external drive though, and use the NAS files as the master (or vice-versa) if you ever want to sync them in the future. but that's for another thread ;)

blgentry

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2016, 08:09:38 am »

Ariendelle has it correct.  I'll add a few more details:

The "library" in MC's terminology means the database that tracks your media files.  When you create a new library, you are telling MC where to put the DATABASE.  It will start empty.  Then you add files to it via import.  The default library is in kind of a "buried" directory.  It's "buried" because it's a very long path and you can't see it from Finder by default.  You can get to it, but it's not obvious unless you know how.

So, for extra libraries, I usually put them in:

<my user directory>/Documents/JRiver/libs/NameOfLibraryHere/

Once you create a new library (it will take seconds), then you set up auto import, or manual import, from your USB drive and MC will grab all of your media files from that drive.

Let us know how you do.

Brian.

Hawaii

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2016, 11:44:26 am »

Many thanks for the below replies. I must admit I am feeling somewhat obtuse as i still cannot move forward.
If I understand correctly, I create a new library that will then point at my database of music on the ISB and the links will be created through importing. Is this correct?
From within the MC application, which tab do I enter to initiate the adding of a new library or is not within the MC application?
In File, I choose Library and then I am lost.  I can see the import options and Library Manager within which the add library. I can either Add Library through left hand tree menu or press button.
Thanks again and look forward to your advice.

Arindelle

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2016, 12:38:08 pm »

Many thanks for the below replies. I must admit I am feeling somewhat obtuse as i still cannot move forward.
If I understand correctly, I create a new library that will then point at my database of music on the ISB and the links will be created through importing. Is this correct?
more like "I create a new library (a database) that will then point to my actual music and/or media files on the USB." As brian said the database is the Library, your music is, well,  your music  :)

Go to File=>Library=>Library Manager=>Add Library. In the pop-up enter a name then click on the radio button to choose local library then browse to an empty path (do not browse to your actual music files!) As I said I recommend it being on the system Drive, where you actually decide to put it is your choice .. you might want to create the empty directory first.

After you create it you can load the library you want from the tree. JRiver will boot the last loaded library on a fresh start

Hawaii

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2016, 01:29:16 pm »

the penny finally dropped......many thanks
Pages: [1]   Go Up