INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Video Cover Art will not save any more  (Read 3077 times)

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Video Cover Art will not save any more
« on: March 06, 2016, 09:38:55 am »

This one has me pretty confused.  I have numerous videos that are not TV shows or Movies.  For these videos, MC generates thumbnails that it captures from inside the video at a specific spot (specified in Options).  This works!

Once an appropriate thumbnail is displayed, I like to save it, as a JPEG next to the video file.  I've been doing this for quite a while and it usually works.  Cover Art > Save Cover art to external location...

But suddenly this function no longer works.  No error messages or anything.  It just fails to save the file.

I recently had to restore my User Settings.ini file from an OS backup.  I only mention this in case it's related somehow.

As a test, I built a brand new library and imported a few dozen files.  All files that had JPG files on disk already, built thumbnails on import.  The rest did not.  But they would individually build thumbnails when I selected "rebuild thumbnail".  None of them would save to external though.

Any guidance on what to try?

Thanks,

Brian.

BradATIMA

Re: Video Cover Art will not save any more
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2016, 09:16:10 am »

I've tried this out and had no problems with it. The only thing I can think of is that you might not have permission to write to that folder. If you create a folder on the desktop, place a video file there, will it save the cover art in that folder?

blgentry

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2016, 08:42:28 am »

I thought of permissions too, but I was able to move files around, so I thought I had that covered.  But I did a test for you anyway.

I created a new folder in my home directory:  Video Test Folder .  Then I moved an existing file there, via Rename, Move, and Copy.  I tried saving cover art and it didn't work.  So I moved the file back, leaving the new folder empty.

Next I downloaded an H264 test file from the Internet and put it into Video Test Folder.  It imported and did not build a thumbnail.  I did rebuild thumbnail and it generated one.  Next I tried to save cover art and it did not save it.  So, I went and looked on disk and saw just the video file.  I wondered where the sidecar file was.  So I did Update Tags (from library).  This worked and the XML sidecar file appeared beside the video file.

As a last ditch, I looked at permissions and found that I had Read and Write, but others had Read only.  So I changed "everyone" to read and write and Staff to read and write.  I tried saving cover art again and it would not save.

I've also noticed something different now:  Previously, when I would do "remove cover art" and answer yes to the dialog, the art would be removed *and* the thumbnail would disappear, and then be rebuilt from the video.  Now remove cover art seemingly does nothing.  The thumbnail stays the same and is not rebuilt.

I have a funny feeling I have something wonky with one of my INI files on disk.  I'm reluctant to delete them and go back to normal because I'm not sure what myriad settings I might lose.  I know I'll lose my View > Load/Save Views > Load .  I think I'll lose font related stuff (pretty much nothing).  I'm not sure what else.

Maybe I could make a copy of my INI files do a test and restore if I wanted?  I'm not very educated on the effects of the INI files.  Or I might be barking up the wrong tree entirely.

Any suggestions Brad?  Or anyone else.  :)

Thanks,

Brian.

blgentry

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2016, 12:10:28 pm »

Ok, I've fixed it.  Not entirely sure what the issue was, except that it was definitely related to settings stored in the User Settings.ini file.

I renamed that file and then started MC, which then built a new User Settings file.  I was immediately able to save cover art as I should be able to.  But I was missing a ton of settings including zones, DSP, etc.  So I restored a backup (Library > Restore Library) from yesterday.  I restored settings only.  After restarting MC, saving cover art was broken again!

I played around some then, "reset" again by removing the User Settings file.  Then I restored a backup from about a month ago, before this problem started.  Again, restoring settings only.  Success!  Now Save Cover Art to External Location works again.  :)

Clearly something was wonky with the settings, but I have no idea what.  I've lost a few minor things like a Handheld definition, but no big deal:  I can rebuild these easily.

Brian.
Pages: [1]   Go Up