INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Question about waking computer for Recording - does MC do this now?  (Read 2182 times)

CountryBumkin

• Citizen of the Universe

I recall it mentioned that JRiver was going to add some code to "wake the computer" as needed for scheduled recordings.
Was this ever done - or still on the "to do" list?

RE: I noticed that my "testing" Lap Top (Dell Latitude E6400) computer does not record anything over the weekend (even though there are programs schedule to record).

I leave it plugged in at work with the lid closed over the weekend. However, in the Windows 10 power settings I have it set to never sleep when plugged in, and set for "lid closed" to do nothing when plugged in. So it should not be sleeping.

I don't know if Windows is putting computer to sleep regardless of my Power settings, and MC is not waking it, or if there is something else wrong with the setup.

BTW - My home HTPC is recording fine (desktop set to never sleep) which has the same recording rules.

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
Re: Question about waking computer for Recording - does MC do this now?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2016, 08:16:26 am »

Waking computer up to do recording was implemented several major versions back.

A recent addition was to wake computer up for EPG loading.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

CountryBumkin

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2016, 11:19:52 am »

Okay.
Something weird is going on with my laptop (or maybe just my imagination). It loads EPG program data without issue each morning with the lid is down, but it did not record anything over the past two weekends. It does record "nightly" programs with the lid closed.
I think I leave the lid "up" this weekend and see if that changes anything.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2016, 03:23:44 pm »

A recent addition was to wake computer up for EPG loading.

That was in MC21.0.49 wasn't it. I must start testing that, as I have still got Windows Task Scheduler waking the computer at the moment, five minutes prior to the Guide Load process starting.

CountryBumkin, it is good practice to have a laptop to turn off the screen when you close it, due to possible heat issues. Particularly on some Dell models. Having the screen turn off doesn't affect the running of programs of course. They will still run fine, if initiated.

Also some laptops, including some Dell models, have additional power management functionality over and above the Windows functionality. Maybe even in the BIOS. I can't recall if my Latitude had the feature, but I have seen some laptops that have different power rules for weekends to weekdays. So maybe yours has a rules not to wake on weekends?
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

CountryBumkin

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2016, 03:35:41 pm »

I do have the display set to turn off after 1 hour when plugged in and 15 minutes if on battery.

Good tip on the BIOS settings. I'll check that.
Pages: [1]   Go Up