INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Control Key Commands  (Read 3178 times)

HPBEME

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Hoisted by his own petard - Lock him up!
Control Key Commands
« on: March 08, 2016, 09:17:03 pm »

Another poster already pointed this out, to which I replied as follows:
Thanks for the info... I did not know that.  Unfortunately, I almost never use a remote control.  My HTPC is also my CAD workstation and general use computer, so I am using my mouse virtually 100% of the time to operate MC, which is why all my suggestions are mouse driven. 

Which reminds me… Thank you Matt, for incorporating my suggestions from post #132 – as a mouse only user, it sure makes using theater view far more satisfying.  Maybe I’m in a very tiny minority of people who only use a mouse while in theater view, but in the event that I’m not…

I would like to reiterate the desire to for a right mouse click on the TV Guide to instantly view the selected channel (left click continues to show the summary/options).  In an ideal world, the left click/right click functionality just described would actually be reversed.

I would like to reiterate the desire for shift+scroll OR alt+scroll to adjust the volume up or down in any screen.  For those who only use a remote this may seem silly, but if you think about it, as a mouse only user I am forced to always return to the playing now window any time I want to adjust the volume… very frustrating. 

And just in case it has any pull… I lived in Minneapolis for 17 years and went to the University of Minnesota… That’s right, I’m a Golden Gopher.  And given the year that the football, hockey, basketball and wrestling teams have had, that’s a tough admission… Ha!

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
Control Key Commands
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2016, 11:49:37 pm »

HPBEME, if you are willing to Shift+Scroll or Alt+Scroll, would you be willing to Ctrl+P?

Ctrl-P is one of the available keyboard shortcuts in MC. So highlight a program then Ctrl+P to play the program immediately, without going through the information screen. Read http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Keyboard_Hot-keys and investigate the other keyboard shortcut options.

Similarly, Ctrl+- reduces volume, and Ctrl++ increases volume, although probably only in screens it makes sense to do so. Try it on a few. It does work in Display View, Standard View and a Detached Window.
Also, hovering your mouse over the volume slider in the controls that drop down at the top of the Display View screen, then scrolling the mouse wheel will increase and reduce volume. (At least for Internal Volume, which I use.)
Also, pressing the up arrow to display the On Screen Display of the Volume, then the left and right arrows increase and decrease the volume.

So if you are willing to use the keyboard in combination with the mouse, as you mentioned in your reply, then there are lots of options for volume control already available in MC.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

HPBEME

• MC Beta Team
Re: Control Key Commands
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2016, 09:05:38 am »

Hello RoderickGI.  Thanks for taking the time to point out all the different options.  However, I was already aware of most of them.

I don't like any of the available methods because they require me to take my hand off my mouse, look away from the display, and then search for a second key to press with my right hand.  I know, I know… the trials and tribulations we must endure ;).  But… I always have my left hand on the keyboard, and I don't have to look at it to find the shift or alt key.  So my suggestion allows the user to seamlessly turn the volume up or down, on any screen, without having to fumble around trying to activate a two-key combination - and that can be important when you're trying to quickly turn the volume down!

I agree that if I'm in display view I can easily use the mouse to adjust the volume with the pop-up player bar, but the primary places where I want volume control are the theater view INFO and LIST screens.  Even better though, my suggestion allows volume control in every screen!  This seems like it would be very easy to implement, and has zero impact on remote-control users or touchscreen users, so there should not be any controversy. 

So… A clearly better solution, easy to implement, does not remove or conflict with existing functionality, and is not controversial… It meets all the criteria of this thread!  The same holds true for the TV Guide suggestion I've made - both seem like a no-brainers to me.

Not that any of this matters now, since this got split into its own thread and will probably never be heard from again.  Oh well, at least I tried.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2016, 05:00:18 pm »

Not that any of this matters now, since this got split into its own thread and will probably never be heard from again.  Oh well, at least I tried.

Every thread gets read by the boss, so this one isn't lost. But it is true that unless JRiver agrees with you, you may hear no more of it. Although sometimes I hear no more, and then a request just happens!  :D

In the mean time there are mice that have lots of programmable buttons. My Logitech G700 has eight, plus the left, right, middle on scroll wheel. Maybe you could program Ctrl++ and Ctrl+- into a pair, and Ctrl+P into another button?

Also, I'm not sure if your suggestions would have no impact on other users. Shift+Scroll is used in Windows for as Forward and Back in a browser, on my PC, but doesn't seem to change the scroll function in MC. Ctrl+Scroll was backed out of changes recently, because it affected multiple selection and scrolling in a view capability. It has been added back as Ctrl+Shift+Scroll for testing. But that requires finding two keys plus the scroll. Alt-Scroll looks okay, but would have to be checked. Maybe that could be used.

Anyway, that is all up to the developers.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

HPBEME

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2016, 08:33:03 pm »

Although sometimes I hear no more, and then a request just happens!  :D
Well I guess I’ll have to hang on to that tenuous thread for hope.

I too, have programmable mice.  I use the Logitech G700S for my CAD work, and it has 13 programmable buttons.  Unfortunately, every single one is dedicated to CAD.  I will experiment with assigning application-specific functions just for MC.  I am sure I can make that work as the gaming interface is quite versatile, as I imagine you are also aware of given that you use the G700.  But… when I am using my computer for browsing or running MC, I use my Logitech Anywhere Mouse instead-I just find it much more comfortable to use.  Unfortunately, all seven of its buttons are assigned to general functions I am not willing to give up.

Sorry about all this… You keep offering up possible solutions and I keep knocking them down.  Not trying to be obstinate, but I have spent many many hours over many years figuring out the most efficient way to set up my mice to interact with applications.  Which is maybe why I am so persistent regarding my mouse driven suggestions.

Speaking of which, the ctrl+scroll was my suggestion for seamlessly zooming in and out on thumbnails.  This is standard behavior for all MS office applications as well as theater view in MC.  That sucks to hear it is being rolled back… I really enjoyed it for the three days it lasted!  BTW, I don’t understand what you mean by
because it affected multiple selection and scrolling in a view capability.
I just tried it in 21.0.54, and holding control while scrolling doesn’t seem to do anything, multiple selection or otherwise (for standard view, which is all my original suggestion was intended for), so I am unsure why my suggestion interferes with what appears to be nonexistent behavior.  Can you please elaborate?

Finally, I still don’t see any issues with implementing the right mouse click to immediately launch a channel from the theater view guide, do you?  And again, in an ideal world the left mouse button would launch the channel immediately, and the right mouse click would launch summary/options.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2016, 08:40:04 pm »

This is coming in build 55 or higher:

1. NEW: Ctrl+Shift+Mouse Wheel will adjust the thumbnail size.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2016, 09:38:31 pm »

Can you please elaborate?

I don't have any further information. There may have been feedback from others on the forum. See if you can find a thread discussing it.

Finally, I still don’t see any issues with implementing the right mouse click to immediately launch a channel from the theater view guide, do you?  And again, in an ideal world the left mouse button would launch the channel immediately, and the right mouse click would launch summary/options.

Well, a right mouse click pretty universally pops up a context menu, in almost all Windows applications that support it, and in MC where appropriate. Changing the action of the right mouse click in one specific location sort of breaks usability. Or at least could for some users.

MC is based on the control concept of "any function can be reached using just five buttons; the left, right, up, down, and OK button on a remote." So the using the OK button on a program in the Guide opens the info page, and then an OK on Watch plays the program. I think the OK and left click are used interchangeably in all areas of MC, although I haven't checked. So making them act differently may be an issue.

Besides that, lots of people like having the Info page display, so they can check the details of the program, and read long descriptions that don't fit at the bottom of the Guide. I know I like it that way, and so does my other half. She likes to read the description before selecting a program. Plus of course the Season and Episode number can be checked on the info page, which is sometimes necessary to work out if the program is a repeat.

Anyway, changes are up to JRiver, not me, and JRiver do like to have consistent user controls, mostly. Plus, as you acknowledged, you do have lots of options. Just not the particular option you want, with the mice that you want to use, configured the way you want to keep them configured. A second G700S or equivalent programed for MC use may be your best solution.

HPBEME

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2016, 09:57:14 pm »

Thanks for the reply Jim.  I gathered from Roderick's previous post that the update you mentioned would be available in the next release.

What I was trying to understand though, was his explanation for how ctrl+scroll to zoom interferes with current behavior.  After thinking about it some more I think I get it.  As you ctrl+left click on non-contiguous items to multi-select, and then scroll to bring additional items into view (while still holding down control), there would be a conflict.  

Well at least the control and shift keys are right next to each other on the keyboard, so your alternate solution should work fairly well.

HPBEME

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2016, 10:26:39 pm »

Well, a right mouse click pretty universally pops up a context menu
Exactly!  To me, the summary/options is the theater view equivalent of a right click context menu, while left click is universally interpreted as select/launch.  I would never suggest that right-click context menus be overridden anywhere, I am talking about implementing this functionality in the theater view TV Guide only.  And apparently MC can handle mouse functions behaving differently in different places, as Crtl+ scroll adjusts the zoom level in theater view and has for years (while not behaving like that in standard view).

I appreciate that you and your wife like going into the summary/options first, but I believe you said you use a remote control, and with the remote control you have the option to directly watch the show or go to summary/option with one press... I am just trying to achieve the same convenience for mouse users.  I am a channel surfer supreme, so when I select a channel, I want it to launch right this second, baby!

Alright then… I believe I have beaten this dead horse beyond all recognition.  I hereby issue a Do Not Resuscitate order.  Thanks for patiently hearing out and answering my rants.  I appreciate all the insight you have provided.

Pages: [1]   Go Up