INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Artist renaming trouble  (Read 3491 times)

macdonjh

• Citizen of the Universe
Artist renaming trouble
« on: March 20, 2016, 03:25:55 pm »

I have a copy of Joe Satriani's Shockwave Supernova in my digital collection.  I've renamed the Artist for every song from "Joe Satriani" to "Satriani, Joe".  But even with this the album still shows up in the Artist "tree" under "Joe Satriani" instead of with the rest of my JS albums under "Satriani, Joe".  The only difference I know of is Shockwave is the only album I downloaded instead of ripped from a CD.

Any suggestions for getting Shockwave to join the rest of its brethren in Satrianin, Joe?

blgentry

Re: Artist renaming trouble
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2016, 04:57:07 pm »

That album likely has "Joe Satriani" in the [Album Artist] tag.  Open the tagging pane and check.  You can simply erase it and it will use the [Artist] tag instead for sorting and display.

Brian.

macdonjh

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2016, 08:28:21 am »

Thanks, I'll try that.

macdonjh

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2016, 02:15:49 pm »

I found Pane Tagging (F4) under the Edit menu, but the option was grayed-out, so I couldn't use it.  I tried editing the tag of each song, deleting Artist.  All that did was remove the artist information from the track information.  The song was not "moved" to the Satriani, Joe folder with the rest of my Joe Satriani tracks.

I was also not able to find much help about tagging in the wiki.

blgentry

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2016, 02:36:35 pm »

We've got a little bit of a terminology problem that's hanging you up.  I'm asking that you do this:

1.  Highlight the files on the album in question.
2.  Open the Tag Action Window (TAW), which I also sometimes call "the Tagging Pane".  Do this by selecting Edit > Tag .
3.  In the TAW, find the tag named [Album Artist] and see what it is set to.  If it is set to the wrong value, delete it.  You might not see [Album Artist] by default.  If you don't, click the gear icon in the upper left and select an option to show more tags.
4.  I'm not asking you to edit the [Artist] tag at all.  Leave it set to the value that you want for this album.

"Pane Tagging" is something separate and not exactly related to this discussion.  It's my fault for using terminology that wasn't precise enough.

Good luck!

Brian.

Arindelle

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2016, 02:42:25 pm »

oops, Brian posted while I was typing ... I'll post anyways but I think we both covered your issue  :)

I found Pane Tagging (F4) under the Edit menu, but the option was grayed-out, so I couldn't use it.  I tried editing the tag of each song, deleting Artist.  All that did was remove the artist information from the track information.  The song was not "moved" to the Satriani, Joe folder with the rest of my Joe Satriani tracks.

I was also not able to find much help about tagging in the wiki.
pane tagging can only be used with a View that is made as "pane" type. Try to create a "pane" view and play around.  Otherwise just hit the tag icon in the bottom left of the action window or hit ALT+Enter. This will open the main tag window. Depending on your view select the tracks (or just the album art if no tracks are showing. Remember that albums are grouped together by ALBUM ARTIST not ARTIST (the artist field is per track).

Depending again on the View you are using (most default views are sorted by Album Artist) you need to change both probably. One quick way is to select all your Satriani albums, open the tag window and make both the artist and album artist fields the same. If they are not you will see "varies" in these fields. Careful though as you might have one album that list Joe Satriani; Steve Vai for example, so you would then need to edit both names to Satriani, Joe; Vai, Steve as JRiver can split the two up using the semi-colon as a separator.

macdonjh

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2016, 08:22:14 am »

Got it.  Once I found the place to click and display all the tag information possible.  Goodness, there are a lot of default tags available.  Thanks for your help.

Arindelle

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2016, 08:25:10 am »

Got it.  Once I found the place to click and display all the tag information possible.  Goodness, there are a lot of default tags available.  Thanks for your help.
you can customize this to your liking by trying the new tag window => click Shift+the tag icon and play around ... its pretty self explanatory .. if you don't like it just click SHIFT+theicon and it will revert back to the default whre you can choose what you want to show too
Pages: [1]   Go Up