INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Raspberry Pi 3 bad USB audio  (Read 4463 times)

TADman

• Recent member
Raspberry Pi 3 bad USB audio
« on: March 22, 2016, 10:11:06 am »

I had good HDMI audio but now am headless and trying to use a Xonar U7 USB DAC.
I can set output level of U7 with alsamixer and also change volume with MC. I get very loud what sounds like white noise with weak audio under that. Changing volume seems to lower audio and noise by the same amount. It sounds to me as if everything is being overdriven. This new Pi is driving me crazy, I'm about ready to throw it in the trash can. Any ideas. I'm running the latest Raspian 1.9 (1.8 did not load) and the latest MC. I also noticed on the Raspi there is no alsa-config file as there is in Mint. 
NUCs, PI3, Asus U7s
Hypex NC400s
eXclusive 2401 speaks

bob

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Raspberry Pi 3 bad USB audio
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2016, 10:20:38 am »

I had good HDMI audio but now am headless and trying to use a Xonar U7 USB DAC.
I can set output level of U7 with alsamixer and also change volume with MC. I get very loud what sounds like white noise with weak audio under that. Changing volume seems to lower audio and noise by the same amount. It sounds to me as if everything is being overdriven. This new Pi is driving me crazy, I'm about ready to throw it in the trash can. Any ideas. I'm running the latest Raspian 1.9 (1.8 did not load) and the latest MC. I also noticed on the Raspi there is no alsa-config file as there is in Mint. 
Try running /usr/lib/jriver/Media\ Center\ 21/alsacap in a terminal windows (as the user that runs MC).
Then pick one of the supported output formats, change the settings in MC's audio format from Audio to one of the supported settings and see if anything changes.
I can't see why the pi would be different for that device than a intel linux box but since I don't have one to test I'm just guessing...

TADman

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2016, 11:37:45 am »

I do not understand what you are telling me, but I did run MC from a terminal and got the same result. I notice the spectrum analyizer is full scale.
NUCs, PI3, Asus U7s
Hypex NC400s
eXclusive 2401 speaks

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2016, 12:12:46 pm »

The U7 has some quirks with Linux (it's one of the only Asus cards that doesn't work out of the box).  See the alsa matrix entry: http://www.alsa-project.org/main/index.php/Matrix:Vendor-Asus

My recollection is that I had to manually set the bitdepth for the U7 to get normal playback as it falsely reports being able to support a greater bitdepth than it actually does. Here's a link to a thread with relevant details (solution in linked post):

https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=92309.msg636616#msg636616

TADman

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2016, 09:10:38 am »

Problem solved. Changed the audio format. One of those options I never noticed before. Complicated program, but that what makes it so good.  The people on this site are fantastic. Thanks.
NUCs, PI3, Asus U7s
Hypex NC400s
eXclusive 2401 speaks
Pages: [1]   Go Up