INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Library migration from Windows version  (Read 3774 times)

akira54

• Galactic Citizen
Library migration from Windows version
« on: March 23, 2016, 04:33:42 am »

Now that the Mac version has become a viable alternative to the Windows version I would like to migrate the Windows library to the Mac. What is the best way of doing this? I am mainly concerned about the watched state of movies and all of the manual tagging I have done.

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Library migration from Windows version
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2016, 07:44:05 am »

You're in luck!  You can just do a Library Backup on the Windows system, then transfer that backup ZIP file to the Mac and Restore it.

After the restore ALL of your tags will be there, including watched status as you indicate.  All of your views will also be there.  The only problem is the paths to the media files themselves.  They will have invalid Windows paths like:  C:\Music\Van Halen\Eruption.flac

So you'll need to select all and then do Rename, Move, and Copy files.  Then use it's features to tell MC how to rename all of the links.  You'll want to do this in Update Only mode, since you're not actually renaming files.  You're updating MC's database to point to a new location, since you're switching platforms and therefore switching file paths for your media files.

Here's a really through article on the RM&C tool:

http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Rename,_Move,_and_Copy_Files

Once you get to the point of doing the actual rename/updates, if you want help, post back here and include some example paths of files that you are trying to update and what their new location on your Mac is.

Brian.

akira54

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2016, 07:55:42 am »

Thanks, I'll give it a try, but the Rename, Move and Copy tool must be one of the most confusing and complicated tools I have ever used (too many unclear options). :(

What I do not understand is why users have to go though this complicated way of renaming all references to their files instead of just being able to point to a new location and having MC sort it out from there like some programs do (Lightroom). A simple question "Where are your films" "Where is your music" and "where are your images" should do the trick.

blgentry

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2016, 08:31:32 am »

Thanks, I'll give it a try, but the Rename, Move and Copy tool must be one of the most confusing and complicated tools I have ever used (too many unclear options).

"With great power comes great responsibility." :)

I'll definitely admit that I was quite confused by RM&C when I first opened it and tried to make it work.  For first time users, even those that are sophisticated with computers, it's a strange interface.  The reason it appears to be so confusing is that it has several different modes that can be used independently, or simultaneously.  It's also not exactly clear what each of these features/functions does.

I can definitely help guide you through the process.  The more you use it, the more you will learn how it works.  You might even come to appreciate the great power and flexibility that it has.

Either way, I'm here to help you when you're ready.

Brian.

akira54

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2016, 08:46:55 am »

Thanks Brian.

This is what I tried to no effect (when trying to play the file I received a file not found error message):

Find What: "V:\" [one group of files is in a variety of folders on the NAS mapped under Windows to "V:\"]
Replace With: "/Volumes/video/" [this is the OSX mapping to the same NAS]

Unfortunately this does not work.

PS. My heart jumped when I saw the tick box for "Convert Windows File path to Mac/Linux", until I realised the example given there is ludicrous (at least for OSX) since the drive letter example given is decidedly NOT a Mac thing

blgentry

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2016, 09:01:59 am »

Find What: "V:\" [one group of files is in a variety of folders on the NAS mapped under Windows to "V:\"]
Replace With: "/Volumes/video/" [this is the OSX mapping to the same NAS]

That's one part of it for sure.

PS. My heart jumped when I saw the tick box for "Convert Windows File path to Mac/Linux", until I realised the example given there is ludicrous (at least for OSX) since the drive letter example given is decidedly NOT a Mac thing

That check box is important because it converts backslash characters (\) to slash characters (/) .  Without that, none of this will work.

I haven't tried doing this particular thing (windows paths to Mac paths via RM&C) in a month or two, so my memory of the details isn't clear.  I *do* remember that I got it to work though.  If you post a screen shot or two it would definitely help me to help you.  Here's a quick guide in case you're not familiar:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201361

In particular, it's really helpful to see the Preview pane on the right hand side of the tool, as that shows you exactly what it's going to do based on what you've selected on the left.

Brian.

akira54

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2016, 09:49:09 am »

here you go. Screenshot attached.

blgentry

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2016, 10:03:54 am »

Ok, it's actually rather simple.  :)

When you click the box to convert from windows to mac paths, it removes the drive letter *and* changes the backslashes to forward slashes.  So it's ignoring your find and replace rule, because it doesn't match.

All you want to do is put /Volumes/video in front of the existing file paths right?  For example, the first one in the screen shot should be:

/Volumes/video/Documentaries/Shiela Hancock Brushes...

To do that, just turn on the directories part of the tool, up above:

Directories: (checked)
Base Path:  /Volumes/video
Rule:  (blank)

Keep the find and replace turned on, so it will do the conversion from windows to mac.

Also, VERY IMPORTANT, make sure to change the mode at the top.  It's set to RENAME right now.  You want it set to UPDATE database.

You should try this on one or two files first.  Once that works, try it on a group of files.  Then do more, or all of them.

Good luck, and let us know how you do!

Brian.

akira54

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2016, 11:16:23 am »

Unfortunately this does not work either since it now removes ALL directory information except for what I enter into the base apth. So instead of getting

/Volumes/video/Documentaries/Sheila Hancock Brushes...

I end up with

/Volumes/video/Sheila Hancock Brushes...

akira54

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2016, 11:25:27 am »

I figured it out. I should ignore the directory option and also ignore the Windows to Mac tickbox and just fill in the new path as shown in the screenshot. That seems to have done it.

blgentry

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2016, 12:59:19 pm »

Well good deal!  I'm sorry my advice wasn't correct.  But I'm happy that you figured out how to do it. :)

Brian.

akira54

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2016, 06:36:57 am »

Not to worry, you did point me in the right direction, for which I am very grateful.
Pages: [1]   Go Up