INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The media types of the selected files are not supported for playback. (<none>)  (Read 7605 times)

frenchbassguy

• Recent member

I woke my computer up from sleep and now MC doesn't recognize any file types.  I did the troubleshooting in the audio setup wiki.  The files play with other media players from Explorer just fine.  I've searched and no one has posted a solution to this.  Please help!  :-[

Arindelle

• Citizen of the Universe

sorry but I'm not sure what you mean.  I'm reading that you do have files imported into a JRiver library and you could read them but now you can't after your PC went to sleep?? or do you mean they will not read by default from explorer?? If it is the latter check in Options File types and see if the file extensions you want to play are set correctly to your liking. Why the PC going to sleep would change your set-up though is pretty strange.

You could restore your most recent library backup if it is the former File=>Library=>Restore

frenchbassguy

• Recent member

File associations are ok.  It must have something to do with iTunes.  It derped and deselected the library.  That must have given MC a stroke.  I opened a new library and was able to successfully reimport the music and it plays fine.  A library restore didn't change anything either :(  I know it's a weird phenomenon.  I have a screenshot attached. 

If I have to do a new library, how can a get the same functionality that iTunes has with automatically copying, organizing, and labeling music I add to MC?

Arindelle

ah ha you didn't mention that. I thought you had a sleep problem ... this is an itunes problem

Most people want to avoid automatically copying/organizing stuff like iTunes notoriously does (IMHO very badly, especially automatic tagging ).

If you have to or still want to use itunes (like for syncing portable devices), I'd suggest getting your main music collection out of the itunes library area. (your screen shot indicates that it is in an itunes directory. Make sure it is not auto organizing anything. Then nuke and rebuild the itunes library. If you are still ripping via itunes, I'd stop right away personally.

If you are using JRiver as your frontend and renderer, you really want its library to be your main one. I'd move your music into a root directory like x:\Music\Album Artist\Album\ ... which will work for basically any player.

As for auto copying etc. there are a lot of ways to do things automatically or semi-automatically through JRiver. Maybe if you indicate what you want it to do.

just my 2 cents of course ... as you can see I'm not a fan of itunes

frenchbassguy

• Recent member

I just decided to create a new library  :-\ I exported my playlists and reimported the music successfully.  I also disabled iTunes from keeping the folders organized itself.  I hope that will prevent this from happening again.

Is there a way to have MC copy files when importing, like iTunes does?  In other words, I import a folder, and it makes a new folder in it's own library folder and copies the songs to that, instead of just referencing them being on my desktop where I downloaded them to.  That's the ONLY reason I'm using iTunes anymore.  Previously I would manage the folders manually, which was actually driving me insane. 

Thanks for your time btw  :)

blgentry

Is there a way to have MC copy files when importing, like iTunes does?  In other words, I import a folder, and it makes a new folder in it's own library folder and copies the songs to that, instead of just referencing them being on my desktop where I downloaded them to.

That kind of functionality is covered by the Rename, Move, and Copy Tool.  RM&C can use templates that tells it where to move files to, and can use rules to organize by Album, Artist, Disk #, etc.

http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Rename,_Move,_and_Copy_Files

It's kind of a "big" tool and it can do a LOT.  Because it's so powerful, it might not seem obvious how to use it at first.  If you need help, please ask.  Just tell us what you're trying to do and someone can probably help you out.  Though the Wiki article linked above is quite good!  So read that.

Oh, a BIG note:  RM&C is a fantastic tool.  But it's not automatic.  Meaning that you have to run it manually.  It won't run on import of new music.  In a way this is better.  You can decide when to move things from your downloads folder, or when to delete them instead if you don't want to keep them in your "master repository".

You can easily set up a view that ONLY shows you songs that are sitting in the downloads folder, so you can review them, decide if you want them, and eventually run RM&C to move them to where you want them.

This question really turns into a whole workflow discussion about how you expect to import, review, tag, and organize the music you put into MC.  Which is a good thing, because MC can do pretty much all of these tasks in very flexible, customizable ways.

Brian.

Arindelle

+1 to Brian's suggestion for you. the RM&C tool is powerful and might be a bit daunting, but once you set up a template you like, you can save it as a preset. So even if you use it for other tasks you can simply bring up your "mask" or template so you don't have to reconfigure it all the time.

Remember the expression "Garbage In - Garbage Out" ? Too much automatic kills any benefit -- why iTunes can make a total mess out of a library btw.  So no the Rename Move tool is not automatic ... but if set up correctly ...

1) you have your dump down load folder as a watched folder for example thatyou import in JRiver
2) you open the tool Brian mentioned and you hit a button it will then do what you set it up to do ... rename the files in a coherent way, move them into another directory etc.

So it pretty much as automatic as you want it to be .. it gives you the option of an intial verification. Once set up, just click a button and done.

Now you mentioned downloading stuff, with legit downloads usually track number, Artist, Album, song name and Album Artist will already be in the metadata -- this is required with  the possible exception of Album Artist maybe (itunes needs this too, but it tends to guess if it doesn't exist and it often guessing wrong). You might be part of a DJ Pool though which it is quite common where people's mixes and samples are shared (also legit btw ahem, not talking torrent here). Now the tags might not be set .. or might not be how they should be. 

If this is the case, or even if you are buying flac recordings from Sites like Bandcamp or Qobuz, I find it easy, for me, to use an external free ware program (which can do what the RM&C tool can do, but also allows you before import to just verify and/or modify key tags, then it can automatically re-write the file names and/or automatically move the files into coherent directories. Its basically a free version of Tag & Rename ... http://www.xdlab.ru/en/ its very good. You might not need or want this though, I'm just obsesive with my tags and prefer it to be at the top of my workflow. JRiver can also do an auto lookup for tag information (Libary Tools=Lookup Track Info from online database) -- once you let the Rename Move tool do its magic.  Your choice.

A small learning curve, small price to pay for ultimate control  ;D

EDIT: I see this is posted in a version 18 forum ... this is old .. the Rename tool has been around awhile, but I'd highly recommedn buyin the upgrade.  MAJOR cool features for audio in version 19 and 20 ... and if you change later you will have to reanalyze your entire collection if you ever use playlists/temporary volume leveling. You should do this before you set up any big collection. The upgrade price allows you to skip versions (ie go directly from 18 to 21). If you decide to do this, I recommend not to uninstall version 18 until your setup in v21 is working correctly
Pages: [1]   Go Up