INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Media Center crashes  (Read 8121 times)

Arie

• Recent member
Media Center crashes
« on: March 23, 2016, 08:19:43 am »

Tagging error, very frequent Mediacentre gives this message when trying to edit the metadata . It assumes the file does not exist or is read only or in use by other programs. None of this is the case. Restarting the mac (sometimes many times!!!!) solves the problem, until after a while it appears again.

Arie

• Recent member
Media Center crashing frequently
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2016, 08:21:25 am »

Frequent crash of Mediacentre on the Mac. Sometimes when I am browsing through the albums, sometimes during metadata edit, sometimes without any active use of the program. No errror is mentioned, it just shuts down.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2016, 08:22:15 am »

Are you using this build?  Check under Help > About.

Arie

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2016, 04:22:23 am »

Are you using this build?  Check under Help > About.

i am using 21.0.50 and when asked for an update response is I have the latest version

Arie

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2016, 04:34:47 am »

i am using 21.0.50 and when asked for an update response is I have the latest version

updated to 64, but still the same issues

BradATIMA

Re: Media Center crashing frequently
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2016, 08:32:15 am »

Can you post a log?

Arie

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2016, 12:51:08 pm »

Can you post a log?
what log should I post? I am not aware a log is produced when receiving an error message?
]

BradATIMA

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2016, 02:00:20 pm »

The instructions for logging are here: http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Logging

Arie

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2016, 05:20:46 am »

Logs here.

Arindelle

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2016, 06:10:01 am »

your log says that your drive doesn't exist. Does your OS see it? Is the drive external? USB? Are you tagging from a client? are the permissions set for read/write/share ?

Arie

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2016, 05:25:19 am »

your log says that your drive doesn't exist. Does your OS see it? Is the drive external? USB? Are you tagging from a client? are the permissions set for read/write/share ?
[My oS does see the drive and all of its content. I am able to delete or add files without any problem. The drive is wired in my network. I am streaming the files from the NAS (QNAP) through Naim, using Twonky Media on the NAS. This all works perfectly well, it is the Mac (also wired in the same network) who has very frequent problems upadting the fields. One out of twenty attempts (by restarting) JRiver is able to perform file updates. Also the function of ripping a new cd cannot be performed. Unable to write new folder is the message. This actually never worked even if JRiver is able to perform updates on files.

blgentry

Re: Media Center crashes
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2016, 08:49:01 am »

It's kind of strange.  Here's the exact line from the log:

0069098: 3289088: General: CFileSystemManager::AnalyzeDrive: Drive does not exist (drive: /Volumes/Multimedia/, filename: /Volumes/Multimedia/flac/Compilations/Bill Wyman's Blues Odyssey/1-01 Goin' Crazy With The Blues.m4a)

So MC thinks that /Volumes/Multimedia isn't a valid drive for some reason.  Is it possible you're having intermittent connections with your network at one end or the other?  Is it wired, end to end, or is there wireless involved somewhere between the NAS and the Mac?

I'm not sure what's going on, but it's clear the MC thinks the drive isn't there, at least during times like this, when it logs messages like the one above.

Brian.

Arie

• Recent member
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2016, 05:14:20 am »

I have the following set-up, The modem, where my telephone/internet connections comes into the house has also a router and wifi function. Both the Naim as well as the Qnap are directly wired with Ethernet cables  into that router/modem. From that same router/modem I have a windows pc wirded connected, via a switch. from that switch the signal goes also wired to my home office where via another switch I have wired connection the the Mac where Media Centre 21 is running, using the Qnap as its music source.

I can access the Qnap from both the windows pc as well as the Mac without any problems. I actuall can see all the contents on the Qnap via the Mac, add files, delete files etc all without any problem If I add or delete files  the Naim (or the Naim Ipad app) reflects what's on the Qnap.

However, very frequently Media Centre (and actually only Media Centre) does not "see" the Qnap and its data. It does not allow to make tag changes,(although the changes are seen on Media Centre as if being executed, but they have not been executed on the Qnap. This creates a data integrity problem between the Qnap and Media Centre, but that's not my main concern at the moment.

It also does not allow to play music or to rip a new cd. So at the moment I rip a cd into Itunes and then copy the Itunes files (who are residing on the Mac itself) onto the Qnap for playing.

So there may well be a network issue between the modem/router, the two switches, the Qnap, the Mac and the Naim, but so far it only shows or has effect on Media Centre.

hope this clarifies, as the issue is becoming quit annoying.

blgentry

« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2016, 06:46:39 am »

Are you connecting to the QNAP with Apple file sharing (AFP), or Windows file sharing (SMB)?  These days, I would recommend not using AFP at all, and sticking to SMB instead.

Are you turning your Mac Mini off and on in between sessions?  That will disconnect network shares, requiring a manual reconnect.

Brian.

Arie

• Recent member
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2016, 02:17:28 pm »

Are you connecting to the QNAP with Apple file sharing (AFP), or Windows file sharing (SMB)?  These days, I would recommend not using AFP at all, and sticking to SMB instead.

Are you turning your Mac Mini off and on in between sessions?  That will disconnect network shares, requiring a manual reconnect.

Brian.
Apologies, but I do not know how the connection has been set up. How can I check this?  I do ocasionaly power down the Mac, if this is causing a disconnect, how can I perform a manual connect?

Thanks

arie

blgentry

« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2016, 03:15:47 pm »

I don't use network drives on a Mac very often.  Check this article for some info:

http://osxdaily.com/2010/09/20/map-a-network-drive-on-a-mac/

You can almost certainly get the properties of the connection, by finding the drive in Finder.  Then highlighting the drive and doing "get info" on it.

Brian.

Arie

• Recent member
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2016, 04:34:37 am »

Sorry but that info is on the techncal side for me.

I purchased JRiver to enjoy my music, not to become an expert in network design and connecting computers.

It is clear that none of the issues I have mentioned at the start of my communications can be solved using this forum. To me such a forum  cannot replace a professional helpdesk despite all the good efforts people put into it. JRiver on the Mac for me is still in its infancy (As is the whole concept of streaming your own digital media via the home network) and I am not convinced this will be solved soon.
Pages: [1]   Go Up