INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tagging when remotely connected to QNAP MC Server via MC for the Mac  (Read 3715 times)

Afrosheen

• Galactic Citizen

Since moving my library to my MC Server on QNAP NAS, I've been trying to tag files when remotely connected to the QNAP MC Server via my Mac's MC installation.  However, when attempting to tag files, the files do not retain changes after I unload the QNAP MC library and then reload it. I'm wondering if I'm missing something?  When connecting I've inputted the access key and authenticate with the login that I've set. 

Thanks for the consideration.

bob

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Tagging when remotely connected to QNAP MC Server via MC for the Mac
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2016, 04:56:37 pm »

Are the database entries retaining the tags and not the files?

Afrosheen

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2016, 06:19:00 pm »

I just went with the manual method of hitting "Sync Changes with Library Server."

Arindelle

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2016, 04:18:57 am »

I just went with the manual method of hitting "Sync Changes with Library Server."
This should work.

Are you saying that none of the tagging is retained, or just certain fields?

I know the QNAP Nas server version of JRiver is recent and could still have some issues .. I don't have one to try. But when you say your Mac installation and loading the library on the NAS makes me think like you were running a JRiver set-up from your MAC and then changed the config to install JRiver on the QNAP which is now running as the media server?

I'd check to see that the MAC is not running media server, and is only configured as a client. You main library is now on the QNAP, it probably should be configured to autoload media server. As the NAS is probably always on, the main library is always going to be loaded. But the client, your MAC, has to be set-up so it is loading the QNAP library. Running two version of media server can be "confusing" to the network sometimes. If by chance you are loading a local library on your MAC of course its not going to sync with the server. Does this make sense?

Remember that moving the library refers to the JR database, not the media files (semantics  ;) )

Maybe I'm off the mark here, but I'd double check that your MAC is indeed loading the QNAPs library and is acting only as a client in Network Options. 

Now maybe you aren't talking about this but that it is not writing the tags to music files themselves (but the changes are still visible in JRIver like Bob asked you). If that's what you mean check that the fields in question are marked to "Write to the file when possible" in options Manage Library Fields and that read/write permissions are ok for the shared drives on the QNAP.

Afrosheen

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2016, 01:38:43 pm »

Thanks Arindelle, your posts encompasses exactly what I'm trying to do.  It may have been the case that I had the Server running on my Mac MC which prevented the edited tags from be saved when I had the QNAP MC library loaded.  I've also enabled "Write to the file when possible" for the tags that I work with and this may be the main reason. But after doing both of those changes and returning to auto syncing changes the edited tags have been retained. The only exception though is that I can't get any cover art changes to stick, and I double-checked that "Also store image in the file's tag" has been enabled.

Arindelle

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2016, 09:21:11 am »

The only exception though is that I can't get any cover art changes to stick, and I double-checked that "Also store image in the file's tag" has been enabled.
Hi again. This is normal. (I think  :D

Images modification can't be done from a client. It must be done server-side. What you can do is load something like TeamViewer which s free (or a similar remote desktop software). If you change the images on the client the next time the server library is loaded, it will indeed revert back to the previous album art. There are a couple of things you can't do from the UI on a client ... artwork as you mentioned; moving, renaming, copying files (there is a work-around for this, but it is better to do this on the machine running media server; ripping via JRiver with the server's library loaded; importing; creating/modifying a library field and creation/modification of Views. The latter two are library based. You can copy/share Standard Views though but this gets off-topic.

BTW, you might find when changing or creating a field (like you just changed some to write to the file), that it doesn't write the tag to all the files retroactively. You should double check. To update all files; select them and use Library Tools=>Update Tags from library. Another tip that might help when do a real lot of tagging or major database changes from a client. Turn off temporarily the auto sync option. Do your tagging etc. , then manually run the sync (File=>Library=>Sync changes with Library Server). When done, re-check the Autosync option. I've had times when new tag information was overwritten by the server if I take a long time tagging something. It might not be an issue for you, just saying it might help. Always make backups of the JRiver server library backups. They do happen automatically, but if you are doing some major changes, best to back it up manually, and then keep an archive copy of it.

Now I have never installed JRiver as a server on a NAS as the option for some QNAP Nas's is pretty recent, but what I'm describing above should hold up regardless.

Hope this helps some  :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up