INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Offensive theatre view background  (Read 4566 times)

syndromeofadown

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Offensive theatre view background
« on: March 31, 2016, 02:56:22 pm »

I just tested a video called named "test" in theatre view and some of the background images would be considered very offensive by any decent person.
Strangely enough, the non offensive images would be considered offensive to the people that don't find the offensive ones offensive.
Either way someones bound to be offended.

CountryBumkin

Re: Offensive theatre view background
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2016, 03:03:48 pm »

You can remove some of the sources where MC looks to find matching artwork/pictures. I turn off Google since it usually has wrong matches.

Tools>Options>Theater View>Theme>On-Line Media Slide Show

RD James

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2016, 04:16:48 pm »

Having Google Image results enabled by default always seemed like an unnecessary risk to me.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2016, 04:38:49 pm »

Having Google Image results enabled by default always seemed like an unnecessary risk to me.

Google Image search for "test" doesn't come up with anything I'd call offensive in any way. However, "test movie" seems to come up with images from this movie, which I don't find offensive, but I suppose that might be what you're talking about.

There was also one R-rated kind of result from what looks to be a dreadful movie called Screen Test which I suppose could be called offensive. Though I've never been able to work out how exactly female breasts hurt children. They're literally for children. But whatever...

In some cases, it just can't be helped, I suppose.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

syndromeofadown

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2016, 04:49:22 pm »

However, "test movie" seems to come up with images from this movie
That's it. I couldn't find that earlier, so thought that the image of spray painted bigotry was unnecessary.
Makes sense now. I wasn't personally offended as I'm not sure that's possible, but was just posting to try and keep all of the innocent and fragile MC users safe.

theoctavist

• World Citizen
  • a bad liver and a broken heart.
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2016, 12:13:06 am »

soz the man with a forum id that lampoons downs syndrome

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2016, 12:28:36 am »

soz the man with a forum id that lampoons downs syndrome

It's not called "downs syndrome", or "Down's Syndrome", it's called "Down Syndrome".

Also, for all you know syndromeofadown has Down Syndrome, or is living with someone who has it, and you just offended him, or her, if that were at all possible.

Well done.  ::)

When we make assumptions we just make an ass of u and me.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

BillT

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2016, 03:18:39 am »

It's not called "downs syndrome", or "Down's Syndrome", it's called "Down Syndrome".

I think that's probably a US / UK language division. It's generally Down's Syndrome in the UK. It was observed by a doctor called Down so a possessory name is not unreasonable.

According to Wikipedia, the apostrophe s was only dropped in the US in 1975.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2016, 05:10:25 pm »

Well we are way off topic, but...

Actually I am in Australia, and there has been a huge push over here to educate everyone that it is Down Syndrome, and not Down's Syndrome, hence my correction. Usually Australia follows the UK's lead in language. I'm sure there is lots of reference material on the debate about the renaming, and why it was done. Generally though, in naming things, we drop the possessive "s". For example, the colloquial "Murphy's Farm" becomes the official "Murphy Farm".

I see though that you are correct. The UK still uses the name Down's Syndrome. http://www.downs-syndrome.org.uk/ Although they quote articles that use "Down Syndrome".
But Australia and the international body, or at least one of them, use Down Syndrome. http://www.downsyndrome.org.au/  http://www.globaldownsyndrome.org/

Actually the World Health Organisation accepted the name Down Syndrome in 1965, dropping the previous common name of Mongoloids. It seems it took some time to catch on though, as even the reference quoted by the WHO uses the term "Down's disease", and was written in 1979. This quote from the global site. http://www.globaldownsyndrome.org/about-down-syndrome/history-of-down-syndrome/research-and-medical-care-timeline/

1965: WHO accepts the name Down syndrome as standard

A delegation from the country of Mongolia sends the World Health Organization an informal request to stop using the objectionable terms of “Mongol” and “Mongoloids” to describe people with Trisomy 21.
The World Health Organization accepts the name Down syndrome as the standard accepted terminology. The term “mongolism” is removed from most, but not all, references. Mongolism references in scientific literature persist into the 1970s.

Howard-Jones, N. On the diagnostic term ‘‘Down’s disease’’. Med. Hist. 23, 102–104 (1979).

Ain't language wonderful?
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

mx4789

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2016, 06:52:59 pm »

"At the risk of stark applause..."
Pages: [1]   Go Up