INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Play all but one star rated  (Read 8799 times)

hlesser

• Recent member
Play all but one star rated
« on: April 07, 2016, 07:43:27 pm »

Can JRiver be set to ignore any tracks with a one star rating but play everything else including unrated tracks? It'd be a slick way to avoid unwanted tracks on otherwise great discs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Play all but one star rated
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2016, 07:57:23 pm »

You could make a user with the rule -[Rating]=[1]
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2016, 08:05:58 pm »

You could make a user with the rule -[Rating]=[1]

Yeah. That'd be a clever way to do it if you want it to apply globally.
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Users

Then, whenever you want to "engage this mode" you just switch to that user.

Of course, if you want this just to apply to specific Smartlists, or to a special Media View you make, you can do that same kind of rule on those individually as well.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

RD James

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2016, 09:06:22 am »

This hides the tracks from the user instead of simply skipping over them.
So if you accidentally 1-star a track, it disappears until you switch to another user then remove the rating, then switch back.
What about a separate "files to play" option for the user which skips over files that are tagged a certain way?

So you add the full album to the playlist, it just skips over the tracks tagged a certain way. (which could be 1 star rated if you wanted)
I don't want to hide tracks, but I do want to skip over tracks with a certain tag - not the rating - from playing.

I might want a user that prevents all Xmas albums from playing for example.
I don't want to hide the existence of those tracks from my library, but I don't want them showing up when I play some random tracks in Jan-Nov.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2016, 12:41:44 pm »

Then you use View filters or Smartlists, as I mentioned above.

RD James

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2016, 03:34:31 pm »

But that's still hiding the tracks.
I don't want to hide tracks/albums, I want JRiver to skip over them when I hit play on an item. (e.g. an album or artist)
I can't toggle the playback status or manage files via JRiver if it's hiding them from me.

blgentry

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2016, 03:56:49 pm »

But that's still hiding the tracks.
I don't want to hide tracks/albums, I want JRiver to skip over them when I hit play on an item. (e.g. an album or artist)
I can't toggle the playback status or manage files via JRiver if it's hiding them from me.

The idea Glynor is explaining is to have multiple media views of the same stuff.  For example, let's say you use the Albums view a lot to find and pick the music you want.  You can make a copy of this view and call it something like "Albums (good songs only)".  Then set the rule to not include 1 star songs.  Then, that view won't show 1 star songs and when you pick albums using that view, you won't hear any 1 star songs.

But the songs are all still there in the library and you can go see them with the normal Albums view.  If you want JRiver to skip them, then not showing them seems pretty logical.  Plus, they *are* still there and you can see them in the other view without making any changes to modes or settings or anything:  Just click on the view.

Brian.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2016, 07:07:22 pm »

The idea Glynor is explaining is to have multiple media views of the same stuff.

Correct. You'd have a "management" set of Views and a "normal playback" set of Views. The management Views are usually quite useful to have anyway. The way you use the View to tag files usually doesn't correlate well with the way you want to browse and play files. Having Views tailored to the tasks you want to accomplish while tagging and organizing is quite useful.

The parent of the Playback Views would have a filter that hides all files you want hidden ([Rating] < 2, for example). In fact, if you wanted it to behave something like iTunes, you could easily make an Enabled/Disabled checkbox field, and then use that to filter your Playback views instead.

The User setup suggested by Matt would be easier, but if you want something more flexible, the tools are all there.

One of the core ways that Media Center behaves (and has always behaved) is that when you Play All on a file, it plays the items visible in the current view (and, assuming Shuffle mode is not enabled, it preserves order). I don't know, and I don't have any power over it, but I don't think this is likely to change. It is deeply rooted in how MC works.

So, what you cannot do is start playback from a View showing a set of files, and have it ignore some of those files. Maybe they could add some kind of Playing Now filtering system, but up until now, that is not something JRiver has been interested in doing.

RD James

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2016, 06:52:36 am »

I installed iTunes to test it like you suggested Glynor and it works exactly how I want JRiver to!
It just puts a checkbox next to all the tracks so that you can easily turn them on/off without hiding them or creating management views or switching users.
It's such a simple solution!

Can we get an option somewhere in JRiver to skip playing files which match a certain rule?
Hiding a file means that file may as well not exist in the library.
Not wanting to see a file and not wanting a file are very different even if they might appear to be similar.

I found that play doctor has options for this, but I'd like it to apply to all playback, not just play doctor playback.

blgentry

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2016, 08:17:58 am »

Hiding a file means that file may as well not exist in the library.

I explained above that you can have more than one view.  One view that shows everything and another view that is limited to just the "good stuff".  So it's not hidden forever.  It's a click or two or three away.

Not wanting to see a file and not wanting a file are very different even if they might appear to be similar.

How is that functionally different?  What I mean is, what use scenario do you envision where you NEVER want to play certain songs , but you really want to SEE those songs displayed at the same time?

Brian.

RD James

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2016, 11:55:49 am »

I don't want to look at an album and see it listed as Tracks 3,4,6,7,10,11,12 instead of seeing everything.
I still want to be able to rate/tag/manage the files without having to create and load new views then find the file again.
I don't want to accidentally click and rate a track 1 star and have it disappear.
Many of these are not permanent "I never want to hear this track/album again" changes.
If I never wanted a file to play, I'd delete it.

It's the same reason that I still buy albums instead of buying individual tracks off a store like iTunes.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2016, 01:14:23 pm »

I'm considering making a check field that you could uncheck and we'd stop playing.

Still mulling it over with the beta team.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2016, 09:14:18 am »

There is a check field coming to the next build.  Hopefully it'll go live tomorrow, but we'll have to see how testing goes.

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2016, 12:27:18 pm »

I explained above that you can have more than one view.  One view that shows everything and another view that is limited to just the "good stuff".  So it's not hidden forever.  It's a click or two or three away.

How is that functionally different?  What I mean is, what use scenario do you envision where you NEVER want to play certain songs , but you really want to SEE those songs displayed at the same time?

Brian.

I have 15 views I use regularly. Making that into 30 views is a non starter for me.

The check mark feature will be a great addition. I would use it for tracks I  just do not like and also for some of the bonus tracks, often alternate takes, that are sometimes added as filler when moving vinyls to CDs.  But, if someone wants to hear them, it would be easy to do so. Hope it works. I have been wanting this feature for a long time.

RD James

« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2016, 04:55:46 pm »

Looking forward to it, thanks!

RD James

« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2016, 10:18:21 am »

This seems to be working as expected. Thanks again.
Though there are two minor issues.

1. The "Playable" field is a big name and so it takes up a lot of space. The whole field acts as a checkbox and not just the checkbox too.
Perhaps rename it "✔" just like iTunes, and make it have a fixed narrow width like the "Image (small thumbnail)" field.

2. The checkbox appears to be a bitmap image and not a font.
Its background is white instead of being transparent, and it does not invert when the skin is inverted.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2016, 11:13:09 am »

2. The checkbox appears to be a bitmap image and not a font.
Its background is white instead of being transparent, and it does not invert when the skin is inverted.

True enough!

Coming next build:
Changed: The applied DSP effect like inversion, etc. will get applied to the checkmark and other small icons drawn in the lists.

RD James

« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2016, 12:01:57 pm »

Is there any way to remove the padding from the field?
I found that the name can be replaced in the "manage fields" options, but it still takes up twice the width of other special fields like thumbnails or stack icons.
Using special characters like zero-width spaces just result in a ? displayed instead.

Also: the playing now list is cleared before checking whether a file can be played, so if you only try to play files that are disabled, it just clears the list and presents an error.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2016, 08:37:15 am »

Is there any way to remove the padding from the field?

I can shrink the field width down to just the checkbox.  And I can even go smaller and then the checkbox shrinks.

RD James

« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2016, 08:43:31 am »

I can shrink the field width down to just the checkbox.  And I can even go smaller and then the checkbox shrinks.
It resizes back to the default width any time the view updates.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2016, 08:44:05 am »

But it resizes back to the default width any time the view updates.

Only if you have column auto-sizing on.  Turn it off if that bothers you.

RD James

« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2016, 09:04:02 am »

Only if you have column auto-sizing on.  Turn it off if that bothers you.
But then I either can't read full names, or they are too wide for many views.
Some columns have a fixed narrow width specified, surely it's possible to set it for this too?

blgentry

« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2016, 09:36:34 am »

^ Umm... just set the columns you want to change to whatever width you want.  They stick.  If they are too narrow, make them wider.  I have many columns in many views that I have set very narrow so that they don't take up very much room.  I can only read part of the header, but that's all I need.  Like Dynamic Range.  I have it shrunk down to "dy", as I only need to see two characters for that column.  Unless I'm missing something...

Brian.

RD James

« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2016, 11:46:35 am »

^ Umm... just set the columns you want to change to whatever width you want.  They stick.  If they are too narrow, make them wider.  I have many columns in many views that I have set very narrow so that they don't take up very much room.  I can only read part of the header, but that's all I need.  Like Dynamic Range.  I have it shrunk down to "dy", as I only need to see two characters for that column.  Unless I'm missing something...

Brian.
I use the "auto size columns" option so its width is reset every time the view updates.
Some of the fields have a fixed size because their content doesn't vary.
For some reason, this new field is not one of them and is width is based on the display name.

blgentry

« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2016, 11:54:03 am »

I use the "auto size columns" option so its width is reset every time the view updates.
Some of the fields have a fixed size because their content doesn't vary.

Hmm, I haven't seen this.  For example, the Dynamic Range column.  It's title is very wide, but it's contents are never more than 2 characters wide.  With auto size columns turned on, it always snaps back to being full width, so you can read it's title.

For some reason, this new field is not one of them and is width is based on the display name.

What columns auto size, but also let you change their size to something more narrow than the title in the column?

Brian.

RD James

« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2016, 12:17:45 pm »

Thumbnails and stack icons do it, like I said in my post here: https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=104249.msg725458#msg725458

I think there are more too.
Other fields where the content varies I can understand, but this one seems like it should have a fixed width.

kmclash

• Recent member
« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2016, 09:45:09 am »

Finally. I've been wanting this since I first got MC17. Thank you!  ;D
Pages: [1]   Go Up