INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: JRemote displays Artist with multiple albums in stack instead of individually  (Read 6322 times)

Daverich4

• Junior Woodchuck

I recently got some help setting up MC21 on a Mac so that the album view shows each album by the same artist individually instead of in a stack but JRemote is still showing them in a stack instead of the way they are on the server. Is there any way to change that? I can't find anything in JRemote that would change it and multiple searches of the forum don't come up with a solution. Maybe it's not possible? At any rate, I'm attaching a sample of the way it displays on the server, if it's possible I'd like to duplicate the same view on my iPad. Thanks.

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe

Hello again.  (Not The Cars song)

JRemote has it's own set of views that have their own rules built in to them.  They *look* like the out of the box views, but they are stored separately.  Luckily you can add your Standard Views to the JRemote views.

Tools > Options > Media Network > Advanced > customize views for jremote...

Now remove the views you don't want to see and add in the views from standard view that you do want to show up.  Note, that these views you add are COPIES too.  So if you change one in standard view, those changes will not show up in JRemote until you do this process again.

After you click ok to save everything, you need to restart MC *and* JRemote.  Then your changes should show up on JRemote.

Good luck.

Brian.

Daverich4

• Junior Woodchuck

Hello again.  (Not The Cars song)

JRemote has it's own set of views that have their own rules built in to them.  They *look* like the out of the box views, but they are stored separately.  Luckily you can add your Standard Views to the JRemote views.

Tools > Options > Media Network > Advanced > customize views for jremote...

Now remove the views you don't want to see and add in the views from standard view that you do want to show up.  Note, that these views you add are COPIES too.  So if you change one in standard view, those changes will not show up in JRemote until you do this process again.

After you click ok to save everything, you need to restart MC *and* JRemote.  Then your changes should show up on JRemote.

Good luck.

Brian.

Hello Again, The song and the fact that you are holding my hand yet again. This time though I'm not quite following what I need to do. The image below was my best guess of what you intended but it apparently isn't right. I also tried it with Album in place of where Name is in the image and that goofed things up but good. Any chance you can nudge me just a little further along?

While we're together again, can I ask you a question? How are you able to come up with the answers to questions like this so often? The only documentation I can find barely covers the basics. I've been able to answer a number of questions by searching but part of my problem is that I don't what terms to search for. I really appreciate your stepping in to help, hopefully I'm almost out of the woods.

blgentry

The image below was my best guess of what you intended but it apparently isn't right. I also tried it with Album in place of where Name is in the image and that goofed things up but good. Any chance you can nudge me just a little further along?

Sure, I think we can get you there with just a little bit more effort.  :)

What you were trying to do, in your screen shot, was to *define* a new view, specifically for JRemote, by laying out all of it's parameters.  You can do this, but in this case, you probably don't want to.  Instead, let's do it the easy way.  Click on Albums and click the Remove button in the center.  Ok, now it's gone.

Let's add the right one.  Click on the Add button in the center.  Go down to "Library Item from standard view", and find your Albums view that you modified recently to show the thumbnail text the way you like it.  Click on that to add it.  Make sure it got added under Audio in the location you want it.  Drag it around, or use the move up and down buttons if you need to reposition it.

That should do it.  Just restart MC and JRemote to have those changes show up.

While we're together again, can I ask you a question? How are you able to come up with the answers to questions like this so often? The only documentation I can find barely covers the basics. I've been able to answer a number of questions by searching but part of my problem is that I don't what terms to search for. I really appreciate your stepping in to help, hopefully I'm almost out of the woods.

I'm happy to help out; it's nice when someone appreciates it.  :)

I've read a bunch of the wiki and a BUNCH of questions here.  I've learned by experimenting with settings and things.  In this particular case, I can't remember how I learned about customizing JRemote views.  After I was told where it was, I did some experiments (numerous actually) and learned more about it.

I just tried to search the wiki for information about this and I was unable to locate it.  It might be there, but I couldn't find it.  Unfortunately, MC is such a big program that sometimes not everything is documented, or when it is, not always easy to find.

Many times a google search will work better than a wiki search because it can hit the JRiver forum and other forums too.

Keep asking questions here and you'll likely learn how to do nearly anything you want with MC.  As always, good luck!

Brian.

Arindelle

Yes totally agree with Brian.  :)

Design your views in Standard Mode and then import them to Remote mode. There are other benefits to this as Standard Mode Views can be saved. I do this even when I do not want to see them in the Tree in Standard Mode (you can regroup Views -- an audio view doesn't have to be grouped under Audio)

There are some exceptions for more advanced Views, but they are pretty rare and you can still use them as the base for further tweaking if needed. There is also one thing you can do in Remote Mode (and Theater Mode if you have a PC, but I see you are on Mac) that you can't in Standard View  - The Option to show all, which really cool for multiple tiered Views ("drilling down" to other categories)

Just for a better understanding ... without going through this "import" method. Let's say you only have one level:  here just Albums

So the field you choose would be Album not Name (Name is a tag field and so would refer to the track name here, not as a Variable like Standard mode). Then you hit the button to set rules for file display and you can set any sort order you want : often Album Artist (Auto) or Album Artist but you could sort the album by release date or whatever criteria you want to show.

Daverich4

• Junior Woodchuck

Sure, I think we can get you there with just a little bit more effort.  :)

What you were trying to do, in your screen shot, was to *define* a new view, specifically for JRemote, by laying out all of it's parameters.  You can do this, but in this case, you probably don't want to.  Instead, let's do it the easy way.  Click on Albums and click the Remove button in the center.  Ok, now it's gone.

Let's add the right one.  Click on the Add button in the center.  Go down to "Library Item from standard view", and find your Albums view that you modified recently to show the thumbnail text the way you like it.  Click on that to add it.  Make sure it got added under Audio in the location you want it.  Drag it around, or use the move up and down buttons if you need to reposition it.

That should do it.  Just restart MC and JRemote to have those changes show up.

I'm happy to help out; it's nice when someone appreciates it.  :)

Brian.

Well, one thing is happening, I've already learned a whole lot more about how this all works. Still haven't worked out this particular problem though. This is an image of what I think you're telling me to do but it doesn't seem to change anything in JRemote, even after restarting JRiver & JRemote. (In experimenting I have found other things that change the JRemote display a lot. If you'd like advice on how to make JRemote unusable, I'm your guy!) None of this is life changing, as it's currently set up JRiver works really well. If I can change JRemote to match the album display in JRiver I'd like to do so but can just move on if I can't work it out. Thanks again for your help.

-dave-

blgentry

This is an image of what I think you're telling me to do but it doesn't seem to change anything in JRemote, even after restarting JRiver & JRemote.

That image looks like you're doing it exactly correct.  What you see in those categories, is what you should see in JRemote.  A few points to help get this working:

1.  Restarting MC is pretty obvious and easy.  But restarting JRemote might not be as obvious.  You need to either shut down the ipad, or "kill" running JREmote.  To kill JRemote hold down the home button until you get a list of running apps.  Then swipe up on JRemote to remove it.  Now it's dead.  Go start it the normal way now.
2.  The order and names of the menu items you configure in your screen shot is *exactly* what you should see in JRemote.  You might reorder one or two items to make this more obvious during your testing.  Or rename an item.  That way you can be sure that your changes have propagated from the screen where you configure them, to the "live" JRemote.

Stick with it and you'll get it done.  Hopefully this is the last hurdle for this particular issue.

Good luck!

Brian.

Daverich4

• Junior Woodchuck

That image looks like you're doing it exactly correct.  What you see in those categories, is what you should see in JRemote.  A few points to help get this working:

1.  Restarting MC is pretty obvious and easy.  But restarting JRemote might not be as obvious.  You need to either shut down the ipad, or "kill" running JREmote.  To kill JRemote hold down the home button until you get a list of running apps.  Then swipe up on JRemote to remove it.  Now it's dead.  Go start it the normal way now.
2.  The order and names of the menu items you configure in your screen shot is *exactly* what you should see in JRemote.  You might reorder one or two items to make this more obvious during your testing.  Or rename an item.  That way you can be sure that your changes have propagated from the screen where you configure them, to the "live" JRemote.

Stick with it and you'll get it done.  Hopefully this is the last hurdle for this particular issue.

Good luck!

Brian.

What are you doing answering questions on this forum at this time of day? Aren't you supposed to be working? Do you work for JRIver? If not, get back to work. I'm retired so I get to mess around with this as much as I want. When I add Albums from Standard View and move it to the bottom of the list, JRemote has them at the bottom of the list which means it's seeing the changes I'm making. I have a question though. In the box in the upper right where it says Show Categories in This Order it only shows Album which is the same as the default Albums choice before bringing in my custom one. Is that the way it should be? Or should something else be on that list? Thanks.

-dave-

blgentry

When I add Albums from Standard View and move it to the bottom of the list, JRemote has them at the bottom of the list which means it's seeing the changes I'm making.

Ok, good, that means it's working.  

I have a question though. In the box in the upper right where it says Show Categories in This Order it only shows Album which is the same as the default Albums choice before bringing in my custom one. Is that the way it should be?

Yes, that's the way it should be.  You only want to see Albums and then when you click on them, you want to see the files inside the albums.  That category listing is a list of levels to drill through.  For example, it could start with Artist and then go to Album, which would allow you to first select Artist from a list of thumbnails, and then see the Albums by that Artist, and finally the files in each Album.  

What you want is Albums, but with custom thumbnail text.  I don't think it's possible to specify custom thumbnail text directly in the JRemote views editor like in your screenshot.  That's why I'm having you copy one from Standard View because the thumbnails text is already "baked in" to that view and JRemote will use it.

Hopefully this will get it working for you.

Brian.

Daverich4

• Junior Woodchuck

At this point I think I have a basic understanding of how this works and what I'm trying to do. You very graciously have spent way more time getting me started on these changes than you should have so I think I'm going to keep poking at it on my own and leave you alone for now. I really appreciate your help and wish I had just a fraction of your knowledge about how this all works. But the good thing is I can enjoy using JRiver as it is and worry about the fine details as I go along. Thanks again.

-dave-

Daverich4

• Junior Woodchuck

Ok, good, that means it's working.  

Yes, that's the way it should be.  You only want to see Albums and then when you click on them, you want to see the files inside the albums.  That category listing is a list of levels to drill through.  For example, it could start with Artist and then go to Album, which would allow you to first select Artist from a list of thumbnails, and then see the Albums by that Artist, and finally the files in each Album.  

What you want is Albums, but with custom thumbnail text.  I don't think it's possible to specify custom thumbnail text directly in the JRemote views editor like in your screenshot.  That's why I'm having you copy one from Standard View because the thumbnails text is already "baked in" to that view and JRemote will use it.

Hopefully this will get it working for you.

Brian.

For some reason I never was able to get JRemote to show me the same unstacked thumnails view that you helped me set up in JRiver Media Center even though you spent way too much time holding my hand and explaining how. Today I discovered that if you right click on Albums in the left hand pane in the Standard View you get a contextual menu that offers pre-built custom views, one of which was the same view that you helped me create manually. It also includes the date which I don't care about one way or the other. For the heck of it I followed the directions that you gave me to add a custom view to JRemote and this one DOES work. I don't know why the view I set up manually didn't display properly in JRemote but I don't care now that I have one that does work as you said it should. Thanks again for your help, you have more patience that I do.

blgentry

Glad you got some satisfaction on this.  Good job.  :)

Brian.
Pages: [1]   Go Up