INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Keeps album tracks in numerical sequence  (Read 5612 times)

eljr

• World Citizen
Keeps album tracks in numerical sequence
« on: April 17, 2016, 07:44:22 am »

This is making me crazy, The tracks are not in order. I can easily put them in order by clicking on Tracks> sort inside groups by track # but it won't stick.
and it will not play in order if I play the album.

This has got to be a simple fix, can anyone share how it's done?
Why are these tracks out of order in the first place?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Keeps album tracks in numerical sequence
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2016, 08:14:11 am »

How are you starting playback? 

Try audio on the left, then albums, then the one you want, then the play button.

eljr

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2016, 08:39:47 am »

How are you starting playback? 

Try audio on the left, then albums, then the one you want, then the play button.

thanks for the reply

that is exactly what I do

there is no way to place the tracks in order permanently?

blgentry

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2016, 08:54:55 am »

In Albums view:  When you click on an album a new pane opens down below showing the contents of that album.  That new pane will have a header that shows the name of the album.  Click on that header, in the divider area between the two panes.  It will have a small down triangle next to the name.  Now you will see a menu.  On the menu choose:  Group by > Album .

That will group by album and sort inside albums by disk # then track #.  It's probably set to some other group by setting, which is why it appears to be "out of order".

Good luck.

Brian.

eljr

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2016, 10:04:45 am »

In Albums view:  When you click on an album a new pane opens down below showing the contents of that album.  That new pane will have a header that shows the name of the album.  Click on that header, in the divider area between the two panes.  It will have a small down triangle next to the name.  Now you will see a menu.  On the menu choose:  Group by > Album .

That will group by album and sort inside albums by disk # then track #.  It's probably set to some other group by setting, which is why it appears to be "out of order".

thanks but that is how it is set.

however, when I hit group by (none) it did place everything and order and has stuck.

blgentry

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2016, 10:50:52 am »

thanks but that is how it is set.

however, when I hit group by (none) it did place everything and order and has stuck.

Ok. You've clearly got some other configuration or metadata issue then.  If you're happy with this setup, great.  If not, we can try to figure it out, but I'll probably need to see some screen shots to fully understand it.

Brian.

blgentry

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2016, 11:10:56 am »

I just did some testing and found the very obvious answer to this...  Not sure how I missed this the first time around.  :)

After you set "group by" to Album, then go down to the next menu item that says "sort inside groups by".  Set that to Default, and it should sort correctly, *and* have it grouped by album.

Brian.

eljr

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2016, 12:49:07 pm »

I appreciate the help.

I checked every album and everything is in order for the first time ever!

I only have about 350 albums ripped so far because this has been such a bear in soooooooooooo many ways.

You anything about playing in two zones at once? I keep getting drop out, that is interruptions in play, as if a wireless signal is weak. Thing is, it's all hardwired.

Also, I'd love to learn to tag my music the way I want. That seems like a potential nightmare, one false move and every thing is screwed.

blgentry

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2016, 01:52:17 pm »

You anything about playing in two zones at once? I keep getting drop out, that is interruptions in play, as if a wireless signal is weak.

I've read your thread about this, but I don't have anything to add.  It's unclear what you really mean in that thread.  Maybe you mean you only have trouble with Linked Zones?  It's hard to tell from what's been said so far.

Also, I'd love to learn to tag my music the way I want. That seems like a potential nightmare, one false move and every thing is screwed.

Tagging with MC is fast, efficient, flexible, and mostly pretty easy.  It also has undo.  You can also make library backups before you do tagging, so you can roll back to all the original tags if you make a big mistake.  You might start another thread about that with your specific questions, and/or the things you are trying to accomplish.  I'd be happy to help with that.  :)

Brian.

eljr

• World Citizen
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2016, 02:38:49 pm »

my bad sorry, that is a big part of the problem, the terminology...

yes the issue is Linked Zones

--------------------------

I will start a thread, I know what I want it to do so best to layout how I want to tag albums than hear how it works and then try to apply it

Arindelle

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2016, 01:31:14 am »

I'll wait on your other post, but provided the album artist/album grouping has not been fiddled with and the Trk# field was ripped/tagged correctly, there are 3 ways that I can think of that JRiver will not play an album's tracks in numerical sequence

1) inadvertantly the shuffle button on top right under the player window, above the main panel, is "on"

2) you have selected and linked the tracks - these can be reordered and will be remembered (doubtful, sort of an advanced functions, the "linking" can be cleared)

3) you are not using JRiver as a front-end but are launching playback from Windows explorer AND the file name template when you ripped did not put the track number first, so windows didn't sort them in order. eg. 1_Anyhow_Let Me Get By_Tedeschi Trucks Band.flac vs. Anyhow_Let Me Get By_Tedeschi Trucks Band_1.flac

Linking 2 zones for simultaneous playback, can be tricky. It is not clear, but it sounds to me like you are using an Oppo 105 as a DLNA renderer. If possible you should use it for audio just as an external DAC, using JRiver as a renderer. Some functionality doesn't work as well (or not at all depending). I'm not even sure if you can link multiple external DLNA renderers so I would solve your sequential playback to one zone first before attacking the issue mentioned in the other post.

eljr

• World Citizen
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2016, 05:26:47 am »

Ok. You've clearly got some other configuration or metadata issue then.  If you're happy with this setup, great.  If not, we can try to figure it out, but I'll probably need to see some screen shots to fully understand it.

Brian.

just to sum up

All the setting were as you suggested when I brought this issue here.
Based on your posts I changed the setting to None from Album.
This put everything in numerical sequence, by album then track.
I then set it back on album, as it had been set and everything stayed in sequence.
My guess, it simply needed to be reset as I left with the same setting I came here with.

sedagive

« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2019, 02:30:11 pm »

I had the same problem with 1 Album.

Problem was in Tags the DISC number was set to 'varies'.

I set this to 1 disc and the album tracks sorted 1-10 correctly for the first time instead of 1,6,4,2,9....

Pages: [1]   Go Up