INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Using Volume Leveling With Equalizer PreAmp Boost - Any Drawbacks?  (Read 3550 times)

Zhillsguy

• Galactic Citizen

I have been using Volume Leveling for a long time now, and recently noticed the overall volume can be boosted up using the Equalizer PreAmp function, so I boost everything about 6 dB. I prefer not to use the Adaptive Volume feature with Volume Leveling. I tried it and it doesn't suit me.

Since there probably is an average of -10 dB or so of overall reduction by using the Volume Leveling, this brings it closer to what I feel is a closer to "normal" gain structure, and with my UMC202HD dac the +6 dB boost provides enough gain to bring up the output comparable to other sources.

Are there any potential issues by using the PreAmp boost if used carefully and nothing is overdriven?

Thanks.....
Ryzen 5 W11 x64 MC 29 HTPC/Server and HP G2 Mini Elitedesk W11 MC 29 (music only zone), various Android Phones and Tablets for control of both, powering two lanai surround systems, 5.1 and 4.1 respectively.

mark_h

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Using Volume Leveling With Equalizer PreAmp Boost - Any Drawbacks?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2016, 03:01:23 am »

I actually do this with my iPod as I found the volume leveled output too low, even at max iPod volume.  The +6 dB boost brings all leveled tracks back to a good level.  Downside is that some tracks, usually the most dynamic, will sometimes clip, but for iPod I'm happy with the compromise.  I'd be less happy on my hi-fi where audio quality is critical.

Arindelle

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2016, 02:57:39 pm »

Personally I think +6db is pretty much for playback of playlists that could include older and newer masters. Especially mixing in classical music. The reason why the adaptive volume is about half of that often, for me.  With clip protection enabled, there's no real risk to your equipment, but once the protection kicks in on certain tracks its not great for the sound - I find it pretty noticeable on a good system. If this is for conversion or ipad streaming that of course is something else again.

You could create a separate zone though to use the +6db when, if clip protection was invoked, it wouldn't matter to you?

RD James

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2016, 04:20:08 pm »

The only potential issue is non-even leveling when you have a track that is dynamic enough to exceed the 17dB headroom you're allowing it to have, instead of the default 23dB.
That track will just appear to be up to 6dB quieter than the rest as a result.

There was an expression that someone posted a while back which will show you how much headroom your tracks need, I'll see if I can find it.

RD James

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2016, 04:30:47 pm »

Here's the expression:
Code: [Select]
Delimit(FormatNumber(Math(1+RemoveCharacters(ListItem([Peak Level (R128), 0], 0), / dBTP/+, 0)+[Volume Level (R128), 0]), 1), / dB,)
Tracks with negative values fit in the default 23dB.
Tracks with positive values exceed it by that amount.

So if you're adding 6dB you should be counting how many tracks are -6dB or higher.

The default result for me is 400 tracks exceeding 23dB, which are all classical music.
If I look at -6dB or higher, it jumps up to 9300 tracks exceeding 17dB, which are a mixture of all music genres.

The list I was looking at had about 50,000 tracks in it, so almost 1/5 would be affected if I added 6dB to everything. I just turn up my amp 6dB louder instead.
Pages: [1]   Go Up