INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MCWS Events / Notifications?  (Read 8442 times)

masterjoe

• World Citizen
MCWS Events / Notifications?
« on: April 27, 2016, 08:11:07 am »

Hi there,

I am currently writing a Python wrapper for MCWS as you stated that MCWS is the current and future way to go regarding MC automation. And yes, there is a lot covered and most of MC's functionality is there.

However what I do not currently know and see how it could be done: How do I get notifications / events when something happens in MC? I mean when a new track starts or when the navigation changes to a different place etc.

How do I find out status information without polling them? Is there a way to register with a web service so that it PUSHES information when something changes?

Thanks.

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: MCWS Events / Notifications?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2016, 08:50:24 am »

I'm relatively certain that MCWS does not support push of any kind, so you'd need to do polling.  Someone else will know for sure.  This should probably also be moved to one of the development forums.

Brian.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2016, 08:57:58 am »

Brian is right, MCWS does not offer a way to be notified of events, thats not really something web services typically do. You would need to poll for changes. This is what Gizmo, JRemote and all other remotes do.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

masterjoe

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2016, 12:04:37 pm »

Okay, that's a pity. Polling is somewhat ugly...  :-X

millst

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2016, 02:12:35 pm »

You could write a media center plugin that pushes status over a websocket or some other means.

-tm

eddyshere

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2016, 05:21:29 pm »

I could also need such a functionality to further integrate MC into my home automation system. A direct UDP/PDP socket sending automatic status changes would be great

masterjoe

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2016, 07:13:43 am »

Well because MC knows EXACTLY when these events occur it would be much much better is there was a UDP port to suscribe to where the information is PUSHED to listening parties. This would avoid any ugly and inefficient polling mechanism and would allow some sort of "multicast" notification behavior.

Please consider adding a notification service which lives next to MCWS.

THX :)

etc6849

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2017, 07:11:30 pm »

Did you ever end up creating a plugin to do this? 

I just have the free version of Visual Studio (I know a few years back I wanted to use an SDK and couldn't), plus all the guides here are from 10 years ago, so it's not like I'd be able to get it working if I had a version that would work with the SDK.

This is something that is really needed.  If I was a professional programmer I'd take a stab at it, but it would take me a week as I've never used an SDK.

Well because MC knows EXACTLY when these events occur it would be much much better is there was a UDP port to suscribe to where the information is PUSHED to listening parties. This would avoid any ugly and inefficient polling mechanism and would allow some sort of "multicast" notification behavior.

Please consider adding a notification service which lives next to MCWS.

THX :)

millst

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2017, 04:37:37 pm »

Here is a plugin for MC23 x64 that will provide some notifications. It's makes a TCP connection to a single host and provides some basic playback info.

Use NotifyHost and NotifyPort here to set your destination:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\JRiver\Media Jukebox\Plugins\Interface\EventNoficationPlugin

-tm

jachin99

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2017, 08:14:20 am »

There is also an EventGhost plugin that can create notifications.  If your interested, go to their forums, and ask about it.  The downside is that you will need to install a new program on your PC but the upside is you might be able to get more functionality out of your machine.  There is a thread somewhere on this forum about an old version of the plugin
Pages: [1]   Go Up