INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Icon for Options > Video page is missing  (Read 5705 times)

andrewberg

• Galactic Citizen
Icon for Options > Video page is missing
« on: May 10, 2016, 01:00:07 pm »

In the Options window, the "Video" tree item (bottom) displays no icon (also tested in default 'Noire' skin)!

In the attached screenshot, the pasted in "Options.png" highlighs the missing icon, and where it should appear...:

"To be is to do" (Socrates) - "To do is to be" (Sartre) - "Do be do be do" (Sinatra)

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Icon for Options > Video page is missing
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2016, 01:07:28 pm »

I thought maybe because you were running the German language that caused it to happen.  But I can't reproduce it even running with German.

A puzzle...
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

andrewberg

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2016, 01:34:53 pm »

I've just tested in default English language using yet another skin -- to the same effect!
I think this has been the case for a long time... most likely an XML error that fails to position the icon...
"To be is to do" (Socrates) - "To do is to be" (Sartre) - "Do be do be do" (Sinatra)

andrewberg

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2016, 02:20:10 pm »

Well, can you help with this?

andrewberg

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2016, 03:55:44 pm »

Some more ideas that might help identify the cause...:

As each of the 21 icons in "Options.png" stands for a optional program feature (selectable in "Options > General > Features"), a setup with all features enabled (i.e. those with a dedicated subpage) will show 21 items in the Options navigation panel.

As you can see in my screenshot, my panel only shows 14 items (incl. "Video"), which means I have disabled 7 'iconized' features (e.g. "TV, Remote Control, Image support, iPhone, iPad", etc.).

Conclusion: The GUI fails to re-allocate the "Video" icon in particular setups.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2016, 04:12:50 pm »

Can you figure out what specific feature you need to turn off for the icon to go away?

Just write down what features you're using, turn them all on, and then turn one off at a time.

Thanks.

andrewberg

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2016, 05:07:23 pm »

Hmm, I have now tried and enabled some (which I know have icons, so e.g. no drivers...), but the Video icon still won't show up...
I don't feel like doing a complete testing cycle, that's not my job (and may require too many things reconfigured afterwards... ;-)

Maybe this screenshot will help you see which features I have en/-disabled in MC (to know what to look out for in you own test runs)...

Mr ChriZ

• :-D
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2016, 05:16:10 pm »

I believe the issue comes up when you increase the font size in
Options->Tree & View ->Select Font.
I set it to size 12pt and this issue showed up.

I believe the issue comes up when you set the skin size to size 90% in the view menu.

andrewberg

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2016, 05:52:28 pm »

I believe the issue comes up when you set the skin size to size 90% in the view menu.

Thanks for that idea! Unfortunately, my skin size cannot be changed (View menu item is greyed out, 'Skin does not support resizing').
I also tried (Options > Tree & View) to change the font size down to 8pt -- I usually have 11 or 12 --, but that didn't help either...

Any other bright ideas to try?

Mr ChriZ

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2016, 04:33:10 pm »

Thanks for that idea! Unfortunately, my skin size cannot be changed (View menu item is greyed out, 'Skin does not support resizing').
I also tried (Options > Tree & View) to change the font size down to 8pt -- I usually have 11 or 12 --, but that didn't help either...

Any other bright ideas to try?

Does the issue go away when you try a different skin?
I was trying to highlight how to reproduce the issue rather than offer a resolution.

andrewberg

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2016, 04:59:26 pm »

Does the issue go away when you try a different skin?

Thank you, but no... (like I said, tested in all skins).

Mr ChriZ

« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2016, 06:06:03 pm »

Thank you, but no... (like I said, tested in all skins).

Can you find a skin where you can change the skin size though?

andrewberg

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2016, 08:23:23 pm »

Good suggestion, but no luck... See this new screenshot of the Options window, using the 'Noire' skin at 100%:

andrewberg

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2016, 08:45:21 pm »

Now I found something: When zooming the Noire skin to 110%, a small part of the Video icon begins to show up from left... At 125% zoom it displays almost perfectly centered, and at 150% it moves out of position to right side again...
Anyway, as it won't display at 100% in either skin -- could this be caused by my monitor's 106 DPI setting (default is 96)? Normally, DPI will affect fonts only, but who knows...?

Mr ChriZ

« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2016, 02:23:14 am »

That would be my guess.  When I saw your original screenshot I could see the fonts were a different size - which is what led me down that questioning route.

andrewberg

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2016, 07:40:33 am »

Hm, nothing to be done then, is there? I'm certainly not changing my DPI, which helps me read all screen fonts better, because of one missing icon! Still funny, especially as I never saw any similar issues...

Should I decide to test using the default 96 DPI setting, I will post the result here ;-)

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2016, 07:56:56 am »

I can duplicate the icons getting funny when the size is something other than 100%.

But I'm totally confused why because the code looks pretty darn good to me.  So I sent an email to the team hoping they'll have a bright idea.

andrewberg

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2016, 08:38:03 am »

So I sent an email to the team hoping they'll have a bright idea.

Thank you! Perhaps also tell them to look out for DPI dependencies...

In my experience, some Windows GUIs (incl. Microsoft's) do not perfectly accomodate for non default DPI values -- which leads to text bits cut off in dialogues, windows etc... (Which means, if even MS can't do it properly it must be very tricky ;-)
Pages: [1]   Go Up