INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Export playlist as folder of music files  (Read 9920 times)

whistlerski

Export playlist as folder of music files
« on: May 10, 2016, 08:00:11 pm »

In itunes i was able to select songs and then simply drag them into a folder in the finder. I can't do this in jiver. When i click export playlist it turns it all into one file. Is there a way to copy the music files of a playlist into a folder?

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Export playlist as folder of music files
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2016, 07:33:09 am »

There are several methods you could use.

1.  Rename, Move, and Copy files.  Select the files in your playlist, then Library Tools > Rename, Move, and Copy.

CAUTION CAUTION CAUTION:  This is a very powerful tool.  It defaults to RENAME mode and will move your files unless you select COPY mode.  Be careful

The dialog that appears has a lot of options.  You'd want to set it to "copy" mode, and then check Directory, and specify the directory you want the files copied to.  I would uncheck the other sections (filename, find & replace).

This method is simple, but it might not be what you want because it will just copy the files.  It won't recreate the directory structure, so you file names might not have enough info for you to sort or search your files the way you want to.  Presumably you want to do this so you can copy the files to an external media player, or play them on another computer via a thumb drive or something.  Which brings us to #2.

2.  Handheld Sync.  MC includes a pretty nicely thought out system for syncing files with handheld players.  This includes simply copying the files to a directory that you specify.  Here's the wiki on it:

https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Sync_Handheld

Handheld Sync let's you check off playlists and those playlists are synced to the directory you tell it.  Later, if the playlist changes, you can sync again, and the changes are synced as well.  Handheld sync also includes a file conversion option, so you can convert files to MP3, AAC, or other lossy formats during the sync process.  This is optional, and useful for some people.

By default, Handheld Sync creates Artist and Album folders, so it's easy to identify which songs are which, based on the directory structure; which is logical.  It also copies the actual playlists into playlist files (M3U or variants) so that handheld players can use these playlists to play the files.

Handheld sync takes a bit of setup time and some getting used to.  But it's a really nice tool that might do exactly the job you are looking for.

Brian.

mike.s

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2016, 08:40:40 pm »

Has anyone been successful with syncing a card based handheld (like the Fiio DAPs) on the mac?

Is the delete files not in sync now working on the mac? What about the creation of a duplicate every time you sync for existing files? Is there some kind of special magic or "whoops" actions I've done to create these problems?

blgentry

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2016, 09:12:07 pm »

I use Handheld Sync with a Fiio X1.  The biggest problem I have is that the card of the X1 isn't always recognized as being the same card.  It depends on whether it's synced through the X1's USB interface, or through my external card reader.  It also seems to depend on which USB port I use.

Other than that, it's kind of no big deal.  Because of these issues, I sometimes have to do a full sync instead of incremental.  Not a big problem.  It just takes longer.  But I only sync the X1 every month or so.  It's not a daily activity.

Brian.

mike.s

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2016, 07:08:17 am »

I have the X5II with two 200GB miniSD cards, so a full sync takes a *long* time.

I've had the issue where is recognizes the card, but then copies over a duplicate of each song (i.e. full sync, and leaves existing music in place)... and yes, I have delete option checked.

It would be great if I could somehow say to MC "this is really this card and I really do want you to replace files with older timestamp!"

RitchieDalto

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2017, 08:25:10 am »

There are several methods you could use.

1.  Rename, Move, and Copy files.  Select the files in your playlist, then Library Tools > Rename, Move, and Copy.

CAUTION CAUTION CAUTION:  This is a very powerful tool.  It defaults to RENAME mode and will move your files unless you select COPY mode.  Be careful

The dialog that appears has a lot of options.  You'd want to set it to "copy" mode, and then check Directory, and specify the directory you want the files copied to.  I would uncheck the other sections (filename, find & replace).

This method is simple, but it might not be what you want because it will just copy the files.  It won't recreate the directory structure, so you file names might not have enough info for you to sort or search your files the way you want to.  Presumably you want to do this so you can copy the files to an external media player, or play them on another computer via a thumb drive or something.  Which brings us to #2.

2.  Handheld Sync.  MC includes a pretty nicely thought out system for syncing files with handheld players.  This includes simply copying the files to a directory that you specify.  Here's the wiki on it:

https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Sync_Handheld

Handheld Sync let's you check off playlists and those playlists are synced to the directory you tell it.  Later, if the playlist changes, you can sync again, and the changes are synced as well.  Handheld sync also includes a file conversion option, so you can convert files to MP3, AAC, or other lossy formats during the sync process.  This is optional, and useful for some people.

By default, Handheld Sync creates Artist and Album folders, so it's easy to identify which songs are which, based on the directory structure; which is logical.  It also copies the actual playlists into playlist files (M3U or variants) so that handheld players can use these playlists to play the files.

Handheld sync takes a bit of setup time and some getting used to.  But it's a really nice tool that might do exactly the job you are looking for.

Brian.

I feel like the above methods are not answering the original question, and/or my my question which is the same or closely related: I want to sync with a device my playlists and have the files organized into folders named the same name as the playlist. Under that if they are flat or by artist/titles/etc... I don't care.

If I can't sync a playlist to a playlist folder on my device, then I have to re-create and maintain playlists on my device.

blgentry

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2017, 09:03:05 am »

If I can't sync a playlist to a playlist folder on my device, then I have to re-create and maintain playlists on my device.

The Handheld Sync tool can be used to sync playlists to an external device, but not exactly as you are asking for.  What it does is this:

1.  Copy the selected playlists to a folder on the device.  These are text playlists in one of a few formats (m3u, etc).  Just the playlist files.
2.  Copy every song in every playlist to a directory structure.  This defaults to something like [Artist]/[Album]/[Filename] . 

In this way, you get all of your songs and all of your playlists.  The playlists will reference the directory structure that was created.  So, as long as your external device can read the playlists, you should be all set.  Try it with a small playlist and see how it works for you.

Brian.

RitchieDalto

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2017, 08:33:52 pm »

OK I think I see the logic in that, seems it would eliminate duplication of files should a track exist in more than one playlist. It does indeed work well for my handheld device. On  another shared network asset (my router can be a dlna server, it's storage is a share on my network) reading of playlists seems to not work or be implemented. Ug.

Thank you though, I am starting to "get" how JRiver works I think.

Fitzcookie

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2017, 04:57:38 pm »

I have a Moto G5 plus that syncs with jriver but I cannot discover what directory it is putting the music in.
Pages: [1]   Go Up