INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What does »auto import« mean?  (Read 2213 times)

Auerhahn

What does »auto import« mean?
« on: May 13, 2016, 04:11:19 am »

My english s bad as in obvious from my postings. So it is possible that understand wrong what »auto import« means. I thought it is, that files which are added to the auto import directory are automatically imported to the library. But this is not so. They are imported only when I start the auto import manually. So the question is: what does »auto import« mean?

adphil

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: What does »auto import« mean?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2016, 05:52:10 am »

My english s bad as in obvious from my postings. So it is possible that understand wrong what »auto import« means. I thought it is, that files which are added to the auto import directory are automatically imported to the library. But this is not so. They are imported only when I start the auto import manually. So the question is: what does »auto import« mean?

Do you keep your files on a local volume or on a network volume? In my case, I found that MC does add new files automatically only on local volumes. When starting up MC, after a moment it will add from all volumes.

So, I run auto import manually during the day after adding files to my watched folders.

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2016, 06:55:35 am »

Auto import can be used in manual mode or in fully automatic mode.  For MC to be fully automatic, this option must be selected:

Tools > Options > Library & Folders > run auto import in background > (checked)

Also, as the other poster mentioned, some network file servers don't support "file system events" so MC doesn't know to run auto import, as it doesn't see the files get added.  In those cases, MC should be running a full scan every 2 hours.  Or you can run it manually, as you have found.

Brian.

ihegarty

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2016, 02:00:50 pm »

OK,

So I'm running MC21 on a new Mac Mini running OSX El Capitan connected to a WD 6TB NAS.

I can run import in manual mode, but it will not import automatically, (and auto import seems to be configured correctly all-around). I can find no reference or documentation to enabling 'file system events' either on the NAS or on the Mac.

Thoughts anyone?

MRH

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2016, 02:38:19 pm »

Some NAS devices don't support "file system events".  So MC never gets the message from the NAS device that new files have been added.

In these cases, MC should do a full scan every 2 hours.  If that's not frequent enough you can of course run it manually.  An auto import button can be added to the tool bar at the top or bottom of MC.

Or, if you really want to get fancy with automation, you can schedule it to run whenever you want.  This will take a bit of work, as you'll probably need to use a shell script and curl to run an MCWS command.  The basic idea is here:

https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Auto-Import#Automation

But those instructions are for windows.  So it will need to be adapted, using the scheduler in OS X, shell scripting, and MCWS.  A bit of work.

Brian.
Pages: [1]   Go Up