INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: Feature Requests  (Read 208353 times)

Ferdi

• World Citizen
Feature Requests
« on: May 13, 2016, 05:18:47 pm »

Hi Jim,

I couldn't even guess what is meant by 'improved access to metadata'. Can you elaborate, please?

gtandzi

• Recent member
Re: Feature Requests
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2016, 08:52:45 pm »

Love to be able to play quad rate dsd (i.e. 256fs) - or am I wrong in thinking that MC21 doesn't yet do this?

DJLegba

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2016, 09:08:12 pm »

Love to be able to play quad rate dsd (i.e. 256fs) - or am I wrong in thinking that MC21 doesn't yet do this?

You're wrong. I've been using MC to play quad rate DSD for over a year now.

High-End

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2016, 11:29:53 pm »

My requests for MC22 are the same as for MC21:

* genre specific tags for the remote / EOS
Today, when I start playing (any genre) a song EOS/ Gizmo is showing
1st row: song name
2nd row: interpred and album name

what I would like to see in genre classical
1st row: song name
2nd row: composer
3rd. row: orchestra / soloists / conduktor / Chorus
the Tag and there order should be configurable.

* Offline DB for the remote / EOS
sometimes I am surfing the net and some possible new music came across.
because my musik server was not up and running ( or not available, offline, what ever) to check if I did not already have the CD I had to let pass the opportunity ( had to park the cd's in the shopping cart, what ever).
That is the reason why I am asking to implement for a offline DB within EOS ;-)

regards
H-E

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2016, 11:40:10 pm »

Here are our goals:

Theater View on Mac and Linux

Remote Control on Mac and Linux

Some parts of Television on Mac and Linux (probably limited by hardware support)

Improved access to metadata

I can't tell you how excited this makes me.  That's 80% of my JRiver wishlist summed up  ;D

daveman

• Galactic Citizen
  • I am still a baby user of JRiver :)
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2016, 03:17:06 pm »

any new features for Windows version?

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2016, 03:34:28 pm »

Is the intention to create a new theatre view, with a cross platform implementation, or to port the existing theatre view to linux/mac?

it would be nice to enable a single library to be used across platforms too btw (that path problem whereby a library contains platform specific paths rather than some logical path name that has platform specific implementations depending on which platform you run on).

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2016, 06:37:54 am »

Hi Jim,

I couldn't even guess what is meant by 'improved access to metadata'. Can you elaborate, please?

If this includes being able to edit tags of recordings within TV, then that's a positive step forward.
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

CountryBumkin

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2016, 06:40:22 am »

any new features for Windows version?

BD menus would be nice, and a Windows "system tray icon" showing TV Tuner status (i.e. green when ready, red when recording) and/or a warning/error dialog popup when a scheduled TV recording is going to fail (Tuner locked/not avail., etc.).

I can't think of any other improvements needed - MC does everything else one could ask for. :)

ferday

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2016, 09:14:44 am »

I can't tell you how excited this makes me.  That's 80% of my JRiver wishlist summed up  ;D

Me as well.  Neat stuff

imugli

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2016, 09:57:45 am »

Is the intention to create a new theatre view, with a cross platform implementation, or to port the existing theatre view to linux/mac?

it would be nice to enable a single library to be used across platforms too btw (that path problem whereby a library contains platform specific paths rather than some logical path name that has platform specific implementations depending on which platform you run on).

I can play my Linux library on my windows PC no problem. Can't remember if it works the other way, TBH, but happy to check and get back to you. I had to mount the folder / drive, then mount that to a samba share folder, then import from that (at least I think that's what I'm doing - I'll double check and get back to you). My problem with this is that the Linux library won't import file formats that cannot be played on Linux, so for instance I can't serve my ifo files from the Linux library.

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2016, 10:10:46 am »

I can play my Linux library on my windows PC no problem. Can't remember if it works the other way, TBH, but happy to check and get back to you. I had to mount the folder / drive, then mount that to a samba share folder, then import from that (at least I think that's what I'm doing - I'll double check and get back to you). My problem with this is that the Linux library won't import file formats that cannot be played on Linux, so for instance I can't serve my ifo files from the Linux library.

The issue isn't that client/server doesn't work at all cross platform.  It's that the filepaths are necessarily different so the clients don't have direct access to the files which has a performance penalty and breaks playback for certain file formats (i.e. prevents .ifo playback even if you could import them on Linux).  

It's a tough issue with a couple possible solutions.  I've been demoing a few other home media server solutions for research related to the competitive disadvantages thread, and I think the way emby addresses this exact issue is clever.  They just have a "path substitution" setting that let's you specify an alternate "front" of the path and then reverses the slashes if needed.  The emby server also tells you in real time when clients are "direct playing" the files or getting served by the server.  So for example, if your linux audio is at /home/user/data/Audio, and your windows clients have the samba share mounted at X:\Audio, you can just enter "/home/user/data/" and "x:\" as the substitution. I have an emby server running on a Linux box, and my windows emby clients can easily direct play the files.  It's an elegant solution (and I think one of the several that's been suggested over here as a fix); not sure how much work it was to implement and test for emby, but I can say it works well (at least in my setup).  

daveman

• Galactic Citizen
  • I am still a baby user of JRiver :)
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2016, 10:13:55 am »

These are features I have requested for several previous versions...

1 - GIZMO - When using gizmo on my computer or phone, the biggest limitations is the inability to see the entire track name below the cover art.  Is there a way to display the full Name either by having 2 lines of text or having the name scroll horizontally, or if move cursor over the image there is a popup?  Also, if I make changes to the code, it always gets written over when one does an update to JRiver.

2 - GIZMO - I would like to see a Gizmo option for "visitors"  that is, they ONLY get the This Location option. Can this be included in an upcoming version

3 - MC and WDTV - Documented Problem that needs resolution - as per https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=93277.msg644242#msg644242 Whenever I add new media, MC automatically imports it.  That works fine  On the WDTV, when i go into the video listings, the media shows up under the RECENT tab.  However, when I navigate through folders the folders do not get updated unless I actually turn off [close] MC (Media Server) and then turn it back on.

4 - As per a past post http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=78510.msg533889#msg533889 - In the OVERVIEW, one can see all media servers that are connected to JRiver.

However, it does not seem to show info regarding connected devices using webgizmo or other ipad/android apps.  Is there a way to see this info on the host computer?  This is an important priece of missing info.  I am not sure what would be required to include this info.  I understand that one can look at the activity under Services & Plug-ins/Media Network (then select [ServerName] (Library Server) but this does not provide any other details about the device. Anyways, I would prefer to see this info in an overview listing rather than have to search for it.  Please add this in so that we can have full information regarding how MC is serving information. Playing Now should show all files being served by MC and not just those in specific zones.

Thanks

Dave

imugli

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2016, 10:28:06 am »

The issue isn't that client/server doesn't work at all cross platform.  It's that the filepaths are necessarily different so the clients don't have direct access to the files which has a performance penalty and breaks playback for certain file formats (i.e. prevents .ifo playback even if you could import them on Linux).  

It's a tough issue with a couple possible solutions.  I've been demoing a few other home media server solutions for research related to the competitive disadvantages thread, and I think the way emby addresses this exact issue is clever.  They just have a "path substitution" setting that let's you specify an alternate "front" of the path and then reverses the slashes if needed.  The emby server also tells you in real time when clients are "direct playing" the files or getting served by the server.  So for example, if your linux audio is at /home/user/data/Audio, and your windows clients have the samba share mounted at X:\Audio, you can just enter "/home/user/data/" and "x:\" as the substitution. I have an emby server running on a Linux box, and my windows emby clients can easily direct play the files.  It's an elegant solution (and I think one of the several that's been suggested over here as a fix); not sure how much work it was to implement and test for emby, but I can say it works well (at least in my setup).  

So by direct playing, do you mean playing from a mapped drive? OK, I get it now. Sorry, I was a bit slow on the uptake with that one...

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2016, 10:59:21 am »

So by direct playing, do you mean playing from a mapped drive? OK, I get it now. Sorry, I was a bit slow on the uptake with that one...

Yes exactly; direct file access allows clients to just go grab the files via the operating system instead of having to receive them in pieces from the server. 

rudyrednose

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2016, 03:44:25 pm »

Full range of playback speed for videos, down to frame by frame, both ways.

Please ?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2016, 04:51:20 pm »

We'll do that if we can (playback by frame).

JohnnyFire

« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2016, 07:11:06 pm »

a better looking and customizable tree perhaps?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2016, 07:15:04 pm »

The tree can be customized now.  What do you want?

JohnnyFire

« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2016, 12:32:32 am »

The tree can be customized now.  What do you want?

i know mate, i dream the more clean look for example:hide playlists drives & devices services & plugins playing now

the more control user like me they have the more awsome will gets! trust me on this!

one more idea we can have a playing now in the action window!

wolffe

• Recent member
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2016, 12:57:12 am »

A few from the top of my head:

rudimentary read only remote library support:
   please add the ability to mark a library user as read only, so the remote user can't modify the library.
   use case: family members or roommates screwing with metadata

mkv metadata editor (not a sidecar)

remote control of various dsp parameters, like center channel volume and rear speaker delay.
   i want to have remote control configuration like the preamp that jriver replaced

remote control to change to full screen video

add fqdn support to gizmo and jremote: i want to type in jriver.mydomain.com instead of the ip address or the access code.

thanks!

lello

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2016, 01:54:09 am »

BD menus would be nice, ........- MC does everything else one could ask for. :)

exactly the same thing that is missing to me; for the rest JRiver has everything I need.

It will ever be possible?

BernhardS

• World Citizen
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2016, 04:37:00 am »

A way to customize the width of the individual panes would be useful
I will explain that whenever I want a thing, and Mrs. McWilliams wants another thing, and we decide upon the thing that Mrs. McWilliams wants—as we always do—she calls that a compromise

THE McWILLIAMSES AND THE BURGLAR ALARM  (Mark Twain)

daveg

• World Citizen
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2016, 07:13:21 am »

Requested in the "too easy" thread, but will post again.

When playing video(or audio) files, have option for the playing now window to open in detached mode.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2016, 09:45:12 am »

Requested in the "too easy" thread, but will post again.

When playing video(or audio) files, have option for the playing now window to open in detached mode.
Try Tools > Options > Behavior.

eddyshere

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2016, 10:00:26 am »

BD menus would be nice, (...)

https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=92141.0

That's the only way to do it in a non-licenced player....how long it will last you ask ??

blgentry

« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2016, 10:03:38 am »

Some of you actually *like* DVD and BD menus?  I think they are nothing but in the way and slow me down.  I appreciate the effort that goes into making them, but I don't ever want to see them again.  MKVs are superior in nearly every way I can think of.  Why do you guys want menus?

Brian.

eddyshere

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2016, 10:15:32 am »

The answer depends on the content actually :

For BD movies because of the special features and or bonuses
For BD Concerts because of the easy selection of tracks
For BD TV Series for the ease of navigation as well

It clearly saves the hassle to split down to episode level TV series.

I agree with you that MKV is superior in anyway (at least for Music and TV series) as you can now rename chapters and for music or concert BD it's just perfect. For Movies I can not really judge as I do not hold over 50 or so movies (so called must have in my opinion). I do not store every movie I own on my server as I'm not the cinephile which watches a movie over and over again.

Also and that's maybe an important statement categorizing the MC users : I do own EVERY single physical DVD or BD which is stored on my server.

eddyshere

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2016, 10:19:17 am »

with additions :

The answer depends on the content actually :

For BD movies because of the special features and or bonuses
For BD Concerts because of the easy selection of tracks
For BD TV Series for the ease of navigation as well

It clearly saves the hassle to split down to episode level TV series.

I agree with you that MKV is superior in anyway (at least for Music and TV series) as you can now rename chapters and for music or concert BD it's just perfect. - BUT  :'( here's the catch...JRiver implementation of chapter selection in theaterview is not optimal : https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=104922.msg729283#msg729283

For Movies I can not really judge as I do have many movies but do store only a few on my server for reviewing. I do not store every movie I own on my server as I'm not the cinephile which watches movies over and over again.

Also and that's maybe an important statement categorizing the MC users : I do own EVERY single physical DVD or BD which is stored on my server.

zaza

• Recent member
« Reply #29 on: May 16, 2016, 11:59:13 am »

Full range of playback speed for videos, down to frame by frame, both ways.

Please ?
yessss! it would be very useful!  :)

millst

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #30 on: May 16, 2016, 12:15:21 pm »

Not everybody rips to MKV. The option to use the menus when needed would be really nice. There is already something functional in libbluray so it's not like we are asking for the impossible. I haven't kept up with the development so it might be pretty buggy, however.

-tm

eddyshere

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #31 on: May 16, 2016, 12:34:58 pm »

There is already something functional in libbluray so it's not like we are asking for the impossible. I haven't kept up with the development so it might be pretty buggy, however.

-tm

It's not buggy...it really works...but won't happen in JRiverMC

So if you don't want to use an external player for BD (PDVD) in JRiver...which by the way also works pretty well ... the only problem is to close PDVD and return to JRiver....the only workaround to have a (Kind of chapter list-menu) is to go MKV.

I went down this route for my concert BD's after having them in ISO and or BDMV for exactly that reason.

daveg

• World Citizen
« Reply #32 on: May 17, 2016, 04:26:47 am »

Try Tools > Options > Behavior.

There is no option there for opening a file in detached mode by default.

milehigh

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #33 on: May 17, 2016, 10:05:40 am »

It would be great if V22 had an option that you could run off a NAS only - this way I could just use jremote and a connection to my stereo/speaker and not have to have my computer on? 

Is improved metadata applicable to Music too?  Would be great to be able to have some additional fields auto-populated (e.g. - styles, moods, genre, original year, etc)

RD James

« Reply #34 on: May 17, 2016, 12:38:39 pm »

Filmstrip list style added to standard view.
This would resize thumbnails to fill the vertical height of the view, and the list would scroll horizontally rather than vertically.

I would like to see the users and load/save view preset systems fleshed out.
The admin password is not required to create a new user account or modify an existing one, so anyone can access all the content in the library very easily.
It would make it a lot easier if a view preset could be associated with a specific user account so that it loads automatically.
It should be possible to associate certain client/remote devices with a certain user. Right now it seems that all clients/remotes connect as the currently active user.

I have a list of issues/feature changes that would be useful with the load/save view preset option here: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=103109

cas

« Reply #35 on: May 17, 2016, 03:57:00 pm »

MQA support, please :)

denisr

• Recent member
« Reply #36 on: May 17, 2016, 05:24:20 pm »

It would be great if V22 had an option that you could run off a NAS only - this way I could just use jremote and a connection to my stereo/speaker and not have to have my computer on? 

Is improved metadata applicable to Music too?  Would be great to be able to have some additional fields auto-populated (e.g. - styles, moods, genre, original year, etc)

Yes please to both of these.  I guess the Linux version is potentially the "NAS only" version of MC but it I don't know Linux so wouldn't know how to implement it on my NAS.  Something to make this simple to do would be great.

My NAS has a basic Twonky server on it so I can use that to stream music from the NAS to my wireless speakers, which is fine for streaming a particular artist/genre/album, but playlists are a real issue.  I currently run a Windows batch file to export all my playlists from MC, copy them to my NAS and then amend them to make all the file paths point to the NAS version of each song rather than the PC version.  Of course I would much rather ditch Twonky and do everything via MC if that were possible.

So, in summary, something that made it easy to just copy your music and MC library from your PC to your NAS and then stream it from there would be fantastic.

masterful

• Recent member
« Reply #37 on: May 17, 2016, 06:46:21 pm »

have requested this before but would like to bring it up again.

live video thumbnails(like those on youtube) that would appear when hovering over the seek bar while a video is playing would be great.

video bookmarks would be a useful addition to the video resume feature. a use case would be, someone has a three hour long tutorial/how-to video which has several points that they would like to refer to in future. with bookmarks, it would be as simple as creating a point of interest in the video. to aid in navigation these bookmarks could be renamed and a snapshot of the scene saved along with the bookmark. the seek bar would also indicate where in the timeline a bookmark is and hovering over it would show the snapshot and the title of the bookmark. lets say one had watched a fridge repair video and had bookmarked the start of the compressor removal step that was ten minutes in. the next time they watch the video and were interested in fridge compressor removal, they wouldn't have to scroll randomly looking for the particular scene they would simply hover over the video timeline and see the title and snapshot of the saved bookmarks to jump to the scene of interest.

these two feature would be an awesome addition to the video playback capabilities of Media Center, i hope you'll take them into consideration.

bluenose1

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #38 on: May 17, 2016, 07:12:06 pm »

It's good to support a software company which actively improves it's product. I look forward to MC22 but my needs are simple. As a user of Audio Only Mode, which you now have working well, I don't care about all the video features which seem to monopolize most of your time and effort. All I ask is to ensure all the audio playback code is kept updated to ensure great sound and reliability, particularly for DNLA devices. Thanks.
Also, some updates to IOS JRemote would be welcome. It seems to have become somewhat of an orphan. 

eezetee

• World Citizen
« Reply #39 on: May 17, 2016, 10:06:50 pm »

Some that I've been looking for...

1) a) Ability for a remote JRiver to save a copy of an image. Would make family members very happy. 

2) Or even having a working Sync feature so that all instances with my key have all photo's with a certain tag or group synced to the remote clients.

3) An MQTT Plugin for IOT.    This is so I can play a song/sound clip on demand TO a specific zone/device.

kstich

• Recent member
« Reply #40 on: May 17, 2016, 11:27:02 pm »

I would love to make a dedicated HTPC that replaced my receiver. There are a few things that would help with this that I would love to get added:
  • true support for two DACs playing the same time. I have tried linked zones but this is not what I am looking for. There are too many sync issues. I would like to play the front channels through a dedicated stereo USB DAC and other channels via another multichannel card. This would be an easy way to expand channels. 
  • easy access to the line in features. I have a Line in and I would like to be able to assign this to to an desktop icon, remote button, and/or theatre view screen. If I had a multi-input card then I would like to assign channels 1&2 to input one, 3&4 to input two, etc and be able to switch these easily like you can switch inputs on a receiver. Also I have an spdif input on my old sound card that could support DD or DTS inputs, and I never got to use it then but wonder if jriver could now
  • expanded remote control functions. I would love if there was the ability to remap buttons on the remote to functions in JRiver
  • I would love to see full blu ray support. As a full AVR replacement it would be required to just play the blu ray disks in the drive. Even as an add-on I would pay extra for this annually with the other upgrades. To accompany this Atmos, Dolby Surround, DTS and other height formats would be great I'm a future update
  • HDR video support
  • integrated impulse response and frequency response room correction would be awesome!

Thanks

Axedall

• Recent member
« Reply #41 on: May 17, 2016, 11:30:14 pm »

a better looking and customizable tree perhaps?

I would like to second this. More customizability with ability to hide tree items.  I don't ever use the photos, podcasts or many other items in this menu.  The option for 'audio only' is not viable as I use JRiver for audio and video and activating audio only disables video.

I would also like to see improved access for skin modding.  From what I have read from posts in forums related to this, skinning the player sounds difficult and somewhat complex and there doesn't seem to be a ton of stuff available for different looks other than color scheme changes.

The ability to make custom shortcuts to smart lists and specific preset views either as buttons somewhere or as items in the tree. The sequence to load saved views through the menu requires too many clicks and is quite cumbersome. If this is an already existing feature that I have overlooked I apologize in advance.

Overall, however, this is a fantastic program that I have enjoyed learning to use over the past year.

kstich

• Recent member
« Reply #42 on: May 17, 2016, 11:34:03 pm »

Can we have a feature that makes the computer think either WMC or Winamp is playing? I have a front panel LCD that can detect these and show the track info, playback time, etc. I miss using this as I haven't had it work since switching to JRiver a few years back.

JohnnyFire

« Reply #43 on: May 18, 2016, 03:12:37 am »

an option to disable the changing effect of album thumbs on a mouse hover

boot77

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #44 on: May 18, 2016, 03:27:35 am »

I would like to be able to switch DSP presets in theater view. Or is this already possible?

slerch666

• World Citizen
« Reply #45 on: May 18, 2016, 06:51:07 am »

I would like the ability to read BD discs without needing 3rd party drivers to disable encryption.

Reality is, I really like JRiver, and this is probably something that would tip the scale in favor of their destruction by the AACS consortium.

Doesn't hurt to ask though, even when you know the answer is "no." And in this case, because I like JRiver, I prefer the no answer i guess.  ;D

dziemian

• Recent member
« Reply #46 on: May 18, 2016, 07:34:26 am »

Could you please make the once chosen subtitles size permament?  Each time I watch movies with subtitles I have to scale down from 100% to 80%.

dziemian

• Recent member
« Reply #47 on: May 18, 2016, 07:37:28 am »

It would also be nice to have some sort of automatic subtitle search engine based on movie title?

blgentry

« Reply #48 on: May 18, 2016, 07:45:05 am »

I don't ever use the photos, podcasts or many other items in this menu.

You can disable both of those independently, as well as many other features:

Tools > Options > General > Features > (uncheck what you don't want) .  Restart MC.

The ability to make custom shortcuts to smart lists and specific preset views either as buttons somewhere or as items in the tree. The sequence to load saved views through the menu requires too many clicks and is quite cumbersome.

I don't understand.  You can put custom views into the Audio tree for audio views.  Video tree for video views.  Smartlists go into the playlists tree.  Or you can get quick access to playlists from the top toolbar.  There are LOTS of functions you can add to the top toolbar.  Right click up top above the search bar and choose "customize toolbar".  Play around with what you can add to the Top OR Bottom toolbars.

Did you know that you can get access to up to 12 playlists right from Playing Now?  That's what the 1 through 12 buttons are for.  Just below the album art and just above the list of playing songs.  Press and hold to assign.  Or go to Playlists > Car Radio and you can add and assign to the buttons more directly.

Brian.

A.K.

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #49 on: May 18, 2016, 08:44:21 am »

My feature request for MC 22:
In party mode, completely disable all metadata editing or file renaming etc. "destructive" behaviour ;) Also zone switching, dsp tweaking should be disabled in party mode too, leaving only simple playback options, and maybe possibility to create playlists.
Would be great when switched to party mode, the whole UI is simplified to only essential playback tools and easy to read playlist.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 ... 10   Go Up