INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to have MC load automatically on startup with Mac Mini  (Read 3773 times)

bigd

• Recent member

Hello all, newbie here. I've been using MC and JRemote for a few weeks now and really like it. But I'm trying to run the Mac Mini headless and can't figure out how to get MC to load on start-up. I figured out how to bypass the Mac log on screen and boot directly to the desktop. The issue is with getting MC to load. On the Mac Mini I've set MC in the dock to load on start-up and in the MC program under Options, I've set MC to start on start-up. But on start-up the License Agreement page pops up and after I hit Agree, I have to select another button to start the program. This isn't going to work for headless operation. I'm sure I'm doing something wrong, but I'm at a loss- this is my first Mac. Is there anyway to set MC so it goes straight to the main page at start-up? If it matters the OS is El Capitan. thanks, don

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: How to have MC load automatically on startup with Mac Mini
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2016, 03:24:02 pm »

If the license agreement pops up, it sounds like you are trying to open the DMG file that MC came in.  The downloaded file I mean.

You should be running MC from the Applications folder.  To install MC, drag the icon from inside the DMG file to the icon of the Applications folder.  Once that's done, close the DMG and eject it from the sidebar of the Finder.

Now you can run MC directly from Applications.  I *think* this should fix your problem.

Brian.

bigd

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2016, 08:03:51 am »

When I tried to open the dmg file within the "download" folder it automatically opens the License Agreement screen- I don't see any icon to drag to the Applications folder. So I just moved the whole dmg file to Application folder and that didn't work so I removed it. Now my copy of MC says it's unregistered and when I enter my registration key it tells me it is for another product. I think I really screwed things up. Should I just uninstall (if I can figure out how to that) and start over? I've downloaded/installed many programs in Windows, but feel lost with this Mac. Thanks, Don

blgentry

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2016, 08:27:39 am »

First, don't put any DMGs into Applications.  If you have one there now, please remove it.

Next, installing Mac apps is REALLY EASY!  Once you know how.  So I'm going to tell you how.  :)

Most Mac software is distributed as DMGs.  Not all, but something like 75%.  If you have a DMG, just do this:

1.  Double click the DMG to open it.  This is like mounting an invisible CD ROM.  It will pop open and (most of the time) show you a license agreement.
2.  Agree to the license agreement.
3.  How you should see a window showing the contents of the DMG.  If you don't, look in the side bar of the Finder and you'll see a disk with the name of the DMG you just mounted.  Click it and it will show the contents of the DMG.
4.  Many DMGs will have the App and a shortcut to the Applications folder inside their window.  They do this so that it's easy for you to drag the app to Applications.  Just grab the app, and drag it over top of the shortcut to Applications.  You'll see a green plus (+) appear when you're over the top.  Let go and it will copy itself into Applications.
5.  The app is installed at this point.  Now just eject the DMG from the side bar of the Finder.  This is just a cleanup step and doesn't affect the app installation.

Now you can run your app from Applications as it is properly installed.

Good luck.

Brian.

bigd

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2016, 09:55:45 am »

Thanks Brian,
With your directions, MC is now in the App folder but at startup I still get the License Agreement page. Also, even though I have paid for the program and for a while it said I had a registered version, it now says unregistered. I don't know if these two problems are related. I have also tried to restore the registration several times without any luck- only have 6 restores left. Thank you for your time in helping me to get this sorted. Don

blgentry

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2016, 10:03:07 am »

With your directions, MC is now in the App folder but at startup I still get the License Agreement page.

That license agreement should only be from opening the DMG file.  If you didn't eject the DMG, the Mac may be reopening the DMG on startup.  It should not have anything to do with opening MC itself.

For clarity, this is a page that has text in the middle a scroll bar and Agree and Disagree buttons at the bottom?  If so, that's from the DMG for sure.

Also, even though I have paid for the program and for a while it said I had a registered version, it now says unregistered. I don't know if these two problems are related. I have also tried to restore the registration several times without any luck- only have 6 restores left. Thank you for your time in helping me to get this sorted. Don

Do you have a license for version 20 or version 21?  If it's 21, the licensing should work with the current versions of MC21.  Try to reinstall the license, but don't use the MJR file that gets emailed to you.  Instead, cut and paste your registration code into the MC21 program itself to license it.  That seems to work pretty much every time.

If you can't get things working, it might be smart to post some screen shots of what you are seeing.  Good luck!

Brian.

bigd

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2016, 12:39:39 pm »

After further experimentation: MC runs fine (no License Agreement pop-up) when it is started from the app folder. But when it runs when the Mac starts up (under tools- options- start-up, I have MC set to run when the Mac boots up) this is when the License Agreement pops up. And it doesn't matter if I press "Agree" or Disagree", the program still starts. There is no dmg file on the desktop to eject.This License Agreement issue is putting a dent in my plans to run the system "headless".

I have version 21- just purchased last week. I have cut and paste my registration code several times and get the reply "this code is for a different product". Now I'm down to 5 restores. maybe I should start another thread for this topic.

Are there any particular screen shots that would help illustrate the issues? Don

blgentry

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2016, 03:33:01 pm »

There is no dmg file on the desktop to eject.

Look in a Finder window.  On the left side there should be a list of your disks including "Macintosh HD".  You should see your Media Center DMG mounted there.  Eject it.

I have version 21- just purchased last week. I have cut and paste my registration code several times and get the reply "this code is for a different product". Now I'm down to 5 restores. maybe I should start another thread for this topic.

What exact version of MC21 are you using?  Licensing changed a week or two ago.  New licenses need 21.0.76 or higher.  I'll bet you've got less than 21.0.76.  Upgrade to the latest MC21 at the top of this board and you should be able to register it.

Are there any particular screen shots that would help illustrate the issues? Don

Yes, the license agreement screen.

Brian.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2016, 10:33:00 pm »

You know, I heard an aside about a solution to the "people installing things from DMGs wrong on Macs" in a developer podcast a few weeks ago and I'd been meaning to mention it. I think I'll really try to look it up and mention it on the beta board.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

bigd

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2016, 12:47:01 pm »

Brian, Per suggestion about downloading the new version: Last night I downloaded and installed 210080. It works fine from the application screen and shows that I have version 21.0.80 and that it is registered
/Users/macminiuser/Desktop/Screen Shot 2016-05-18 at 12.48.54 PM.png

/Users/macminiuser/Desktop/Screen Shot 2016-05-18 at 12.49.47 PM.png

Then when I restart, 2 different License  screens appear. The first has the number 210077 then it switches to 210066
/Users/macminiuser/Desktop/Screen Shot 2016-05-18 at 12.55.25 PM.png

Then when I click on Agree it brings up an older version that is not registered.

it appears there are some extra files somewhere on the computer that are being accesed. I have searched the hard drive for .dmg files and get nothing except the 21.0.80 file I downloaded last night in my download folder. This all might have been caused my initial installation mistake.

Thanks for you help, Don

Edit, I tried to add screen shots by dragging them from the desktop, but i see it didn't work- sorry

blgentry

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2016, 02:52:18 pm »

1.  You can attach images here when you make a post.  Look down below where you are typing and find "additional options".  Open that and you can attach an image from there.
2.  If you have DMGs mounted now you should see them in Finder.  On the left under Devices you should see the mounted DMG "disks".  You can eject them from there.  Or from the desktop.  See this tutorial for a detail or two:

http://www.gilsmethod.com/how-to-mount-and-eject-iso-dmg-images-in-mac-os

3.  It's remotely possible that you have added the DMG files as login items that get launched when you log in to the Mac (which happens when you restart it).  To check to go System Preferences > Users & Groups > Your User Account > Login Items .  If you see any media center DMG files there, get rid of them.

Good luck.

Brian.

bigd

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2016, 06:55:52 am »

Brian,
You were right, there was a dmg file in "Login Items". I don't remember putting it there but I must have. Removing it solved the problem. I have restarted a half dozen times and no "License" pop-up. Thank you for your time and patience in working through this with me. Don

blgentry

« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2016, 07:48:47 am »

:)
Pages: [1]   Go Up