INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: which cdr/dvd-r drive is best?  (Read 1580 times)

nickharambee

• Galactic Citizen
  • doh!
which cdr/dvd-r drive is best?
« on: August 12, 2003, 11:28:02 pm »

i have been using the supplied cdr drive on my dell laptop, but i would like to purchase an external cdr/dvd-r drive so that i can burn dvds and also have more flexibility.  i am not sure what the best drive to get would be.  i have heard that plextor drives are good for ripping cds.  are there are other makes that you would recommend?  and what exactly is it that makes a cdr drive good for ripping/burning?  do plextor make good combo drives that i could burn dvds on as well, or am i better off getting dedicated drives for each format?

thanks, nick.

Influxor

• Recent member
Re: which cdr/dvd-r drive is best?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2003, 02:19:55 am »

built alot of systems, experienced alot of burners..  i have 2 words for u and they are close in price=  plextor  or sony..  ( i have a sony dvd & cd burner) they both have combo and standalone solutions, but cost.. still they seem to do the best, but it's only my opinion...

what makes a burner/drive good for burning/ripping?.. technology , experience, testing, manufacturing process..etc.. i think many things go into it in the long run.. still these are my collected thoughts on the subject.

an OEM model can do the job (like liteon) alot cheaper (with more error time) , but i notice differences compared to to the brands mentioned- not only in performance, but even in the way the drive doors open and close.. the mechanics to be sure.

im sure others have input on this .

LisaRCT

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2003, 05:44:18 am »

I do not have a great deal of experience in this area, but I must agree with Plextor being top-shelf.
I have a Plextor CDR/W and I am very pleased . . . speed, performace, accuracy . . .  excellent.  
Since I got this drive my collection of coasters has diminshed to the point where I have rings on all my tables.  I am once again glad to receive those free AOL discs in the mail to protect my furniture.   ;D

NoCodeUK

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2003, 06:14:35 am »

Pioneer are reputed to be right up there for DVD writers.  I have the A06 and it is very satisfactory and can now be bought for about £130 (Ibought it for £190 about two months ago :()

Adam
"It's called No Code because it's full of code. It's misinformation." - Eddie Vedder

Bartabedian

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2003, 07:17:32 am »

The top performer in testing for precision audio apps (ripping, burning, etc.) is Plextor SCSI drives. Other Plextor and Yamaha drives follow close behind. They also happen to be some of the most expensive available.

I've had great success with my Pioneer DVD burner for CD rips, it's fast and precise.

WP

zevele10

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2003, 09:07:04 am »

A Plextor CDR/W here.

I'am realy happy with it
Plan to go Sony for my DVD R when i will by it

nickharambee

• Galactic Citizen
  • doh!
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2003, 09:11:59 am »

so are you saying that i should get seperate external drives for cdr and dvdr?  i understand that plextor do a combo cdr/dvdr drive (px504 uf).  not sure if it is scsi, as warren recommends, though.  i would prefer a combo, but if i'll get better performance from seperates......

nick.
Pages: [1]   Go Up