INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is it possible to lock the screen this way  (Read 5118 times)

danjpohl

• Recent member
Is it possible to lock the screen this way
« on: May 19, 2016, 09:50:41 am »

Is it possible to lock the screen this way?   Every time I start it up I have to monkey with the settings to get the screen the way I like it.  This becomes even more important with my kids and friends using it.  A few friends have been discouraged in purchasing for this fact.  I was able to convince them that it is worth it.

Ideally it would start this way but if it at least I only had to hit the one button which sends it to full screen mode that would be ok.

Bet it is possible and I have just not figured it out.

Love the program!

I do live in Minneapolis and thought about taking my laptop with me and swinging into JRiver office and have them show me what I am missing.

Thanks!

RD James

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Is it possible to lock the screen this way
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2016, 10:04:18 am »

Search for "location" in the options window and you can set JRiver to start in the "Last Location".
This should restore JRiver to its current state when you launch the program.

You can also use View > Load/Save View to save a copy of this layout so that you can easily restore it at any time.

danjpohl

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2016, 10:27:52 am »

Thanks for the reply!

I do currently have the following set
- Location = Last Location
- Mode = Last Exit View

It is close but not there.

When I close full screen I have
- Top Left list of artist
- Bottom Left Albums of highlighted Artist
- Right Playing now

When I restart I have the same showing but when I go full screen I lose the album section. 
- Left Artists
- Right Playing Now

Double Click on any Artist
- Left Albums for Artist double clicked on
- Right Playing Now

Click on navigate backwards arrow on top left Album side (This gets me back to where I want to be)
- Top Left list of artist
- Bottom Left Albums of highlighted Artist
- Right Playing now

Totally doable for me but really frustrates people who do not use it all the time.  Would love to be able to lock my view and force either going to menu or password to change it. 

blgentry

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2016, 10:34:28 am »

A few comments:

1.  I'm unclear on what you mean by full screen.  Your screen shot shows standard view.  Standard view should be the same no matter what size the window is.

2.  Your picture shows sort of an unusual view in that you have an albums thumbnails view set to Details view, so you can see the listing in a more compact way.  If this is what you like, you should try a Panes view.  Panes show the listing like you have shown, but in a slightly more logical way that's easier and faster to navigate.

Brian.

danjpohl

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2016, 10:54:05 am »

Attached is a view of how it opens.   When I click the button circled in red makes it full screen and hides the playing track info as well as the left navigation.

Not sure about Panes views, will do some research.  If you have any good examples let me know.

Thanks!

RD James

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2016, 10:55:39 am »

Can you post a full screen image of what the before/after looks like when you click that button?
I'm having a difficult time visualizing what your issue is.

blgentry

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2016, 11:04:07 am »

Attached is a view of how it opens.   When I click the button circled in red makes it full screen and hides the playing track info as well as the left navigation.

I'm pretty sure that button engages Cover View.  Same thing as View > Cover View .  That feature doesn't work on the Mac version of MC, which I use. So I'm not familiar with exactly what it does.  Here's some brief documentation about the various view modes, including Cover View:

https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/View_Modes

Not sure about Panes views, will do some research.  If you have any good examples let me know.

Give it a try. It's easy.  As an example, just click on Audio > Panes in the left navigation tree.  That is one version of a Panes view. You can easily customize the Panes views to include or exclude any columns you might want in the top Panes area.  I'd bet that [Album Artist (auto)] and [Album] would give you a great place to start from.

Brian.

danjpohl

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2016, 11:13:34 am »

RDJames - About the same time you posted I posted a second image which shows how it starts up.   The first image posted is where I want to get to.

BLGentry - Thanks for the info, will read up more on the view modes.  I do use a pane which I customized to how I like.  Problem I then want to I go to Cover View by clicking the item shown in second attachment and then I loose the albums in bottom left.   

Thanks again everyone!

RD James

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2016, 11:40:42 am »

That image seems to be cropped instead of a full view.
I'm not sure what the differences are between standard/cover view.

blgentry

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2016, 11:57:30 am »

1.  Panes view:  I'm suggesting that you try a Panes view instead of your Albums view that you're using now.  Panes views have their top and bottom parts tied together so one part can't go away.  This should work the way you want *and* look more clean and logical without the repetition of the artist name.

2.  It's very hard to follow what you've written about the process.  So I'm kind of guessing.  But I think that maybe the whole problem is that the bottom file listing is not "on" by default.  You can change that so it's "on" all the time:

Right click on your view (I think it's called "Dan").  Select Customize view.  Then:  Settings > View Details > Always show files > (checked) .  Click OK to save your changes.  Now try again and see if it works.

Good luck.

Brian.

ferday

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2016, 12:03:25 pm »

That image seems to be cropped instead of a full view.
I'm not sure what the differences are between standard/cover view.

cover view just gets rid of the left main tree and upper toolbar, presumably for using a graphic view such as albums it's a quick way to get some screen real estate

danjpohl

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2016, 12:05:53 pm »

Hopefully this helps!  I know it is confusing... SORRY.   Worst case I may upload a video.
RD James - Yup, I was clear as mud!

BLGentry - I am using the panes and have the Always show files checked.  Big problem for me is when going to cover view I need to click on small arrows at bottom of left column to show albums.  Just learned this now.

These images will hopefully clear it up.  Follow them in order 1,2,3.

I really appreciate the help

ferday

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2016, 12:17:19 pm »

just did some testing

if i use a panes view, cover view simply makes it bigger and nothing changes

if i use a categories view, cover view does as you are describing

danjpohl

• Recent member
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2016, 12:33:26 pm »

Ahhhhhh!

Finally see the difference between panes and categories.

Still playing but I think the Panes will work!   Will update after I have time to play.

THANKS EVERYONE!

RD James

« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2016, 12:48:39 pm »

There is an "always show files" option when customizing the view.
It doesn't seem to be working when switching from Standard View into Cover View though.

So this seems like a bug.

danjpohl

• Recent member
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2016, 12:58:36 pm »

I can report it as a bug.

So now that I understand Panes I can get it so close!!!   Only thing missing would be the show alphabet option in the categories.   Was able to mimic it with grouping but it does eat up a ton of space.

Here is what I came up with.

Thanks again guys!   

blgentry

« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2016, 02:07:55 pm »

You have your Panes view set up with the Panes part on the left and the file list on the right.  You can put the Panes part on the top if you'd like.   That way you can take up less space by dragging the divider between the Panes and the File List.  Customize View > Settings > View Details > Panes > (choose location here) .

Also, you would probably benefit from making an Albums pane also.  So Three Panes:  Artist (grouped to A - Z letters), Artist (full list), Album .  Actually, I'd use [Album Artist (auto)] instead of Artist, but you can change that any time if you decide to.  The key here is that you can drill down very quickly:  Choose an Artist letter, see the artists of that letter, choose artist.  Finally, see all of the albums by that artist, very quickly and compact in a Pane.  Optionally click on album.

Brian.
Pages: [1]   Go Up