INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DSD capable DAC on OS X 10.11.5  (Read 2972 times)

robertisonline

• Junior Woodchuck
DSD capable DAC on OS X 10.11.5
« on: May 19, 2016, 07:49:54 pm »

Looking for recommendations for a 2 channel DSD DAC for my Mac running OS X 10.11.5 (latest build) and JRiver 21.9.80. I spend 85% of my time recording and mixing so most of my money goes there. The NAIM DAC-V1 that I want is just going to have to wait. An appropriate price range is $4-6, not including the cabling (probably Audioqeust Cinnamon). I also listened to a few different headphone amplifiers with my Grado 325e's, but didn't find the performance that beneficial. I am thinking about upgrading to the RS2e or PS500 if anyone has comments on those or headphone amplifiers specific to those.

On a separate tangent, I have read a few posts discussing oversampling and upsampling, and while I don't spend as much time as I'd like to listening to material post-production and might not be the best source for those sorts of discussion, I have to comment on the contradiction of DSP. Michael Jackson's Billie Jean was mixed 92 times. It is as close to perfect that is achievable (check out the SACD version). In the audiophile listening stage the idea of "truth" is poorly defined and I think that's ok. When you're listening as an audiophile the only thing that matters is your happiness with the sound. However, applying DSP instantly destroys the signal much more than anything you could do from adjusting sampling rates above 44.1kHz. Perhaps the distinction is that it is perceived as a form of "positive" destruction to the listeners ears. My general consensus is that applying any processing is motivated by a weakness in the audio system or the material itself.

DJLegba

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: DSD capable DAC on OS X 10.11.5
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2016, 09:11:15 pm »

I have an exaSound e22 DAC, which I've been extremely happy with. I use it with Windows, but I have loaned it to my brother who runs OS X something and it works with his system. I can answer questions, but you should check the exasound.com web site. The price is a little lower than your range, unless you meant hundred. The 30-day trial is nice, but you probably won't want to return it once you've set it up in your system.
Pages: [1]   Go Up