INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Data File Support In MC for Linux  (Read 5093 times)

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
Data File Support In MC for Linux
« on: May 24, 2016, 09:00:45 pm »

I've been migrating more and more machines into my house over to Linux and I've been hitting a wall on a few things and wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something obvious.

MC for Linux as a server seems to have no problem importing data files and serving them to windows clients (subject to certain limitations that are the subject of a thread on the windows side).  The key point is that, in the server role, MC for Linux seems to behave the same way that MC for Windows does.

As a client, it appears that data file support is more or less missing on the Linux side?  There's a check box for "data support" under general features, but I can't seem to get the client to actually do anything with either local or served data files.  Additionally, the whole "file associations" menu that's available to make using data files easier on Windows appears to be missing.  Am I missing something or is the support not there yet?

If it's not there yet, I know that this is a lower priority item, but, bob, if you're listening, would it be possible to just pass data files off to the file explorer/desktop environment so that the system default program could open them?  As it is I can see them but not touch them :-)

I appreciate any advice anyone might be able to offer.

bob

• Administrator
Re: Data File Support In MC for Linux
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2016, 10:22:48 am »

I've been migrating more and more machines into my house over to Linux and I've been hitting a wall on a few things and wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something obvious.

MC for Linux as a server seems to have no problem importing data files and serving them to windows clients (subject to certain limitations that are the subject of a thread on the windows side).  The key point is that, in the server role, MC for Linux seems to behave the same way that MC for Windows does.

As a client, it appears that data file support is more or less missing on the Linux side?  There's a check box for "data support" under general features, but I can't seem to get the client to actually do anything with either local or served data files.  Additionally, the whole "file associations" menu that's available to make using data files easier on Windows appears to be missing.  Am I missing something or is the support not there yet?

If it's not there yet, I know that this is a lower priority item, but, bob, if you're listening, would it be possible to just pass data files off to the file explorer/desktop environment so that the system default program could open them?  As it is I can see them but not touch them :-)

I appreciate any advice anyone might be able to offer.
Would xdg-open be the proper thing to do to them? I'm not used MC for data file support personally...

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2016, 11:08:32 am »

Would xdg-open be the proper thing to do to them? I'm not used MC for data file support personally...

I think so, it seems to be the "standard" way of hooking into the mime-type database (to the extent there are standards in Linux Desktop land).  I'm happy to test if you think that would be doable.  

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2016, 01:16:16 pm »

So I just tested xdg-open with a few different file types (manually) and it seems to work as expected here, so that might be the fix.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2016, 05:55:06 pm »

So I just tested xdg-open with a few different file types (manually) and it seems to work as expected here, so that might be the fix.
It will be in build 21.0.88 coming shortly...
Pages: [1]   Go Up