INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Installing Pono alongside MC21  (Read 6183 times)

shAf

• Citizen of the Universe
Installing Pono alongside MC21
« on: May 28, 2016, 07:08:20 am »

I just installed PonoMusicWorld thinking it was simple a downloader for Pono purchases to find out it is really a subset version of Media Center.  Why can't a Pono account be simply configured for MC? Why can't PMW acknowledge an existing install of MC?  It seems stupid, and more work as long as both libraries are independent of each other.  What are others doing?
cheerios from the Avalon Peninsula, Newfoundland

blgentry

Re: Installing Pono alongside MC21
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2016, 07:31:29 am »

I'm interested in this topic also as I'm a big MC user, but I haven't done any downloads from the Pono Music Store yet.

My plan, should I decided to do Pono purchases, is to use PWM to download the songs.  Then do one of two things:

A.  Use the rename, move, and copy files tool inside PWM to move/copy the files to an auto import directory of MC21.

OR

B.  Set up MC21 to auto import from the same directory that PWM downloads into.

I'll probably go with B, but I'm not sure.

Brian.

Magic_Randy

• MC Beta Team
  • I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure..
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2016, 07:50:10 am »

You need PMW to download tracks from the Pono Music Store and to update the firmware on the Pono Player.

You can use either PMW or the full versions of MC to sync music to the Pono Player.

You can have both PMW and the full versions of MC installed side by side with no conflicts.

Magic_Randy

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2016, 08:09:11 am »

I'm interested in this topic also as I'm a big MC user, but I haven't done any downloads from the Pono Music Store yet.

My plan, should I decided to do Pono purchases, is to use PWM to download the songs.  Then do one of two things:

A.  Use the rename, move, and copy files tool inside PWM to move/copy the files to an auto import directory of MC21.

OR

B.  Set up MC21 to auto import from the same directory that PWM downloads into.

I'll probably go with B, but I'm not sure.

Brian.

Both of these options work, but I do neither.

I found that I always need to adjust the tags for the music I download. This is not a Pono issue. It is a result of the tagging done by the labels providing the content. If you buy your downloads from another source the same issues are there.

I also want to keep (don't know why) the tracks as purchased. So I download them into a directory that stores my purchases. After the download I delete them from my PMW library. I copy the purchased albums to the final destination, import, and fix the tags. After I fix the tags I do a rename to push them into their final location and rename all of the files based on my tagging.

I maintain both a PMW and MC 21 library for the same content. This provides some redundancy for glitches. As an example, in the current version of MC 21 I cannot sync to the Pono Player.

If I did not care about preserving the content as purchased I would follow your option A, not B. The reason is to isolate the purchase until I confirm everything before merging into my full library. I can get the tags fixed before merging. It is a lot messier after it is merged. Also, sometimes there are duplicate downloads. I think this is a glitch on the Pono side. If there are duplicate downloads it is a lot easier to clean up if it not merged with the larger destination.

shAf

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2016, 08:38:27 am »

You need PMW to download tracks from the Pono Music Store and to update the firmware on the Pono Player.

You can use either PMW or the full versions of MC to sync music to the Pono Player.

You can have both PMW and the full versions of MC installed side by side with no conflicts.
Thanks Randy for your reply ... however, JRiver should acknowledge the possibility for its users not using a Pono player but want to use Pono Music as a source for HD music. For example, similar to MC integration of a HDtracks account. I'd purchase from HDtracks but 99% of their music isn't offered to Canadians.

I should be able to configure the PMW default download location and 'move' presets for minimizing the extra work, but it still seems stupid, redundant and unnecessary to maintain 2 different JRiver libraries...

DJLegba

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2016, 08:51:15 am »

I use the Pono store but I don't have a Pono player. All the sites I purchase downloads from have some sort of downloader, and the Pono store uses PMW. After downloading I just use the operating system to copy the folder onto the drive that MC watches. It works well for me - I have no complaints.

Magic_Randy

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2016, 03:35:27 pm »

I can't offer more. All I'm doing is explaining how it works. If you do not like the approach I suggest you raise the issue to Pono as they are the ones defining the specification for the software that interacts with their web store and their music player.

shAf

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2016, 08:18:25 pm »

I can't offer more. All I'm doing is explaining how it works. If you do not like the approach I suggest you raise the issue to Pono as they are the ones defining the specification for the software that interacts with their web store and their music player.

I had contacted them too...stay tuned...

Magic_Randy

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2016, 01:55:14 pm »

I just installed PonoMusicWorld thinking it was simple a downloader for Pono purchases to find out it is really a subset version of Media Center.  Why can't a Pono account be simply configured for MC? Why can't PMW acknowledge an existing install of MC?  It seems stupid, and more work as long as both libraries are independent of each other.  What are others doing?
Here is my suggestion.

Use PMW only as a downloader. Ignore the fact that it can do more.

Then use MC 21 (or whatever version you are using) to manage your library.

If you decide later to also have a Pono Player, you could still use PMW as a downloader, but also use it to update the firmware on the Pono Player. You could continue to use MC 21 to manager your library. MC 21 can also be used to sync your Pono Player. You do not need to use PMW for this function.
Pages: [1]   Go Up