INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Pine64 ARM install issue  (Read 8297 times)

slerch666

• World Citizen
Pine64 ARM install issue
« on: June 01, 2016, 09:28:30 am »

Relative n00b to Linux, and trying to follow the Raspberry Pi guide for installing the ARM version of JRiver on a Pine64.

I am using the Debian, based on Jessie, build for the Pine.

Going through the steps in the guide, I skip all the Pi specific fun, add the repository, and run sudo apt-get update.

Here's what I see:

Failed to fetch http://dist.jriver.com/latest/mediacenter/dists/wheezy/InRelease  Unable to find expected entry 'main/binary-arm64/Packages' in Release file (Wrong sources.list entry or malformed file)

E: Some index files failed to download. They have been ignored, or old ones used instead.

Any help to get beyond this point is appreciated.

Might also see if I can download the package manually in order to move forward with building it, but would love to get the update capability sorted.

Thanks!

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
Re: Pine64 ARM install issue
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2016, 10:14:19 am »

The pi instructions assume that there is a native build available for your platform (because such a build exists for the pi), but there is no JRiver build for arm64, which is why it's failing.  It's not an unsurmountable issue, but you'll need to download manually to start, and will need to take some extra steps to get things working as the JRiver arm build is a 32-bit, armhf build.  Basically you need to make sure you download the arm build (not the amd64 build), and you'll need to enable multi-arch support.  Check out this thread where someone else got MC working on a Pine device:

https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=104382.0

Take especial note of the code snippets I posted in that thread about enabling multiarch support.

slerch666

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2016, 11:03:16 am »

Perfect!

That seems to have done the trick for me as well.

Thought I did a good enough search for Pine, but got no results when I searched.

Thanks mwillems!

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2016, 11:14:34 am »

Perfect!

That seems to have done the trick for me as well.

Thought I did a good enough search for Pine, but got no results when I searched.

Thanks mwillems!

My pleasure.  I'd be curious to know what the JRMark is on that device.  I've posted a few JRMarks for various ARM boards in the main thread, and it would be neat to know how the Pine compares.

slerch666

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2016, 07:28:31 am »

I'll fire it up tonight and see if I can get the JRMarks for you.

I ended up getting it to work, then I knocked it all over again to try again. I am debating buying another Pine to have another relatively inexpensive media streamer that's fun to tinker with in the bedroom, so I want to make sure I know the steps I used to get it working.

Will let you know.

slerch666

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2016, 01:16:21 pm »

My pleasure.  I'd be curious to know what the JRMark is on that device.  I've posted a few JRMarks for various ARM boards in the main thread, and it would be neat to know how the Pine compares.

Here you go mwillems, here's what JMark returned:

Math 484
Image 1291
Database 532

Tried to copy and paste, but for some reason it wouldn't actually copy the text out of the benchmark screen.

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2016, 02:04:54 pm »

Thanks for those.  It looks like the performance is almost identical to a Raspberry Pi 3 (a little higher in some marks, a little lower in others).  Given the potentially lower price, that's a bargain.

slerch666

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2016, 07:26:20 am »

I did the Kickstarter and got the Pine64+ board w/ 2GB. Not sure if the numbers would change with the $15 base model (A64, no +).

I'm fairly happy with it. Performance is OK, nothing amazing, but with these little guys you have to temper your expectations.

The Pine64+ is definitely bigger than the Raspberry Pi2 (I have a Pi2 as well).

Fun to kick around, but definitely not meant to be someone's main driver.

Going to put the Remix OS on another memory card and see if I like how that works out better, but for now, working JRiver MC21 on Ubuntu is usable for sure. For music playback anyway.

bprochford

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2016, 08:26:58 pm »

I'm installing MC21 on my Pine 64 running Debian Mate. I've been through the process now about four times. Everything works perfectly until I get to the actual install, where I'm met with "Unable to locate package mediacenter21."

I've got the APT repository installed properly and have followed to the letter almost every install guide in these forums for this. The mediacenter21.list file is in the sources.list.d folder.

Also, Im really new at Linux, so go easy on me.

Any help or direction would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Brad

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2016, 08:39:04 pm »

I'm installing MC21 on my Pine 64 running Debian Mate. I've been through the process now about four times. Everything works perfectly until I get to the actual install, where I'm met with "Unable to locate package mediacenter21."

I've got the APT repository installed properly and have followed to the letter almost every install guide in these forums for this. The mediacenter21.list file is in the sources.list.d folder.

Also, Im really new at Linux, so go easy on me.

Any help or direction would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Brad

Did you forget to run the "sudo apt-get update" before trying to install?

bprochford

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2016, 09:31:26 pm »

Did you forget to run the "sudo apt-get update" before trying to install?

No, I remembered. This is the message I got after"sudo apt-get update:"

W: Failed to fetch http://dist.jriver.com/latest/mediacenter/dists/wheezy/InRelease  Unable to find expected entry 'main/binary-arm64/Packages' in Release file (Wrong sources.list entry or malformed file)

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2016, 10:30:04 pm »

No, I remembered. This is the message I got after"sudo apt-get update:"

W: Failed to fetch http://dist.jriver.com/latest/mediacenter/dists/wheezy/InRelease  Unable to find expected entry 'main/binary-arm64/Packages' in Release file (Wrong sources.list entry or malformed file)

That's why it's important to post all the errors you see  ;D.  I was confused that the first error you saw was at the install command (which could only be explained by a failure to run update or a lack of internet connection).  The earlier update error is the real issue (you won't ever be able to install the package if the repo doesn't exist).  

If you look at the first post in the thread, the original poster had your same update error, and the steps to fix it are described above (with links to some helpful code snippets).  

The short version is that there is no native arm64 package version of JRiver.  So adding a repo in the usual way targeting your native arch won't work (the pine is an unusual piece of hardware).  So you'll need to either modify the .list file so it refers to armhf (for which a build exists), or manually download the package and then install it. Either way you'll also need to setup multi-arch as described above or it won't run.

Try manually downloading the latest arm build, enabling multi-arch as described above, and then installing it.  Once you get that sorted, we can work on the repo.

Going through the steps in the guide, I skip all the Pi specific fun, add the repository, and run sudo apt-get update.

Here's what I see:

Failed to fetch http://dist.jriver.com/latest/mediacenter/dists/wheezy/InRelease  Unable to find expected entry 'main/binary-arm64/Packages' in Release file (Wrong sources.list entry or malformed file)

E: Some index files failed to download. They have been ignored, or old ones used instead.

bprochford

• Recent member
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2016, 10:47:27 pm »

That's why it's important to post all the errors you see  ;D.  I was confused that the first error you saw was at the install command (which could only be explained by a failure to run update or a lack of internet connection).  The earlier update error is the real issue (you won't ever be able to install the package if the repo doesn't exist).  

If you look at the first post in the thread, the original poster had your same update error, and the steps to fix it are described above (with links to some helpful code snippets).  

The short version is that there is no native arm64 package version of JRiver.  So adding a repo in the usual way targeting your native arch won't work (the pine is an unusual piece of hardware).  So you'll need to either modify the .list file so it refers to armhf (for which a build exists), or manually download the package and then install it. Either way you'll also need to setup multi-arch as described above or it won't run.

Try manually downloading the latest arm build, enabling multi-arch as described above, and then installing it.  Once you get that sorted, we can work on the repo.

I'm apologize. I should have also mentioned that I tried to set up multi-arch based on the first post. I am unable to find the package name for the install step. I think that may be my problem. I don't know what file name to put in at "sudo apt-get install nameofpackage:armhf"

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2016, 11:07:10 pm »

Ok let's take it one step at a time and I'll try to explain what's breaking.  

The repo you added isn't an existing repo, so you won't be able to apt-get anything from it.  Adding the repo using the command from the pi tutorial works for the pi because it adds a repo that corresponds to the pi's native architecture (which is armhf, and JRiver has an armhf build).  The pine is arm64, for which no JRiver build exists.  So when you used the "native" repo command it tried to add a .list for a repo that doesn't actually exist.  The "apt-get install" command interacts with repos so that's why you're getting an error.  Adding multi-arch support adds in the debian official armhf repos, which is important so that you can install JRiver's dependencies, but JRiver isn't in the main Debian repos, which is why you needed to add a repo in the first place.  

So an apt-get for mediacenter21 will never work until you fix your JRiver .list to point to armhf instead of the (absent) arm64 repo.  You'd do that by editing the file at /etc/apt/sources.list.d/mediacenter21.list.  If you post the contents of that file on your machine, I can offer some very specific advice, but the usual way to fix it is to add the arch the repo is targeting in brackets after the "deb".  So it should look something like:
Code: [Select]
deb [arch=armhf] http://dist.jriver.com/latest/mediacenter/ wheezy main

Alternatively, if you want to deal with the repo issue later and just want to get up and running, you can just directly download the latest arm build and install it directly.  You can do that by typing:
Code: [Select]
wget http://files.jriver.com/mediacenter/channels/v21/latest/MediaCenter-21.0.85-armhf.deb
sudo dpkg -i MediaCenter-21.0.85-armhf.deb

That should get you a working version of JRiver (assuming you got multiarch setup correctly).  You'd still need to fix the repo if you want to upgrade in a non-manual way in the future.

Hope this helps, and good luck on your journey into Linux  ;D

bprochford

• Recent member
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2016, 12:35:57 am »

Thanks so much for your instruction and patience. Looks like will get me on track. I really appreciate the help.
Pages: [1]   Go Up